I need opinions

Options
Hi guys. I really need opinions as I've been diagnosed with body dysmorphia. I've had weight loss surgery in January/2013 and lost over 100lbs. I am trying to lose 5 more lbs but daily, I get lots of people telling me I shouldn't lose any more weight or I will look like I'm sick. What do you think?

I'm 133lbs, 5'3"

1380340_10151726624588178_716816797_n.jpg

1383095_10151726636358178_1476237668_n.jpg

Thank you.

Replies

• TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My opinion: Stay as you are! You look extremely good as is; you dont need to lose anymore weight! :bigsmile: There is no appeal in stick thin girls and it gets pretty unhealthy!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    The internet is certainly the best place to get opinions, no shortage here haha!

I think you look fine as you are honestly. You've lost a lot of weight from your before photo which is awesome, that's something to be really proud of!

If anything, rather than focusing on losing more weight, maybe you could add some weight training into your routine and add a little muscle to tone your body up a little. Not that you need it, just saying that might be a better overall goal than continuing to lose weight since you seem to be at a healthy weight now as it is.
  • Danimal718
    Danimal718 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You look great at the weight you're at right now! I agree about the toning.
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    You look just fine. You do not need to lose any more weight. Weigh yourself tomorrow morning before breakfast and make that your "maintenance weight". Draw the line in the sand and resolve firmly to stay at that weight, no matter how much one side of your mind might fight you about it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, congratulations on your success! You look so amazing!

You are pretty tiny. You should not lose any more weight.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Adoreable!
  • juliabrancato
    Options
    I think people say that because you have such drastic weight loss changes that they're not used to seeing you so small! But I don't think you look sick at all!
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    you look thin. you definitely don't need to lose any more weight but from what I've read about loose skin and needing to get rid of basically all the fat in those spots for it to go away, i can understand why you might want to push for five more pounds. I don't think you'd look sick five pounds thinner but you really don't need to lose any more weight. You look far thinner than 133 pounds. I'd have guessed you were 110 or so.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Realistically, five pounds is vanity weight and there is no *need* to lose it.

That said, losing 5 pounds at your current weight would not be unhealthy, especially if you do it slowly so that it's mostly fat.

Keep in mind, though, that a 5 pound loss would not be worth dealing with BDD more intensely if you have extra trouble with your image while trying to lose.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I think you look great now, but 5 more pounds I do not think would put you in an unhealthy category.
  • EllenKay63
    EllenKay63 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Lady you look great!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    you look great.
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    I think you look great!! CONGRATS!!!!

However, I do agree with the toning suggestions. That may get your body looking more like what YOU want without losing anymore weight. That's where I am at now too. I'm 5'4" 138 and wanted to lose a few more pounds, but have decided to tone instead to see what happens with the process. GOOD LUCK!!! :bigsmile:
  • d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think you shouldn't try to answer this question until you've done some counseling to see yourself as you truly are. Logically, rationally, and even emotionally from all these opinions on here you could say, "Nope, I'm good!" or, "just 5 more pounds!" But neither would be a genuine reflection of what's right for you or allow you to feel proud of the changes you've made.

I don't know much about whether body dysmorphia is curable, but maybe stay as you are (because medically you can accept it is healthy?) until you can accept yourself and how small you are and how far you've come, then ask that question?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You look good now, and you'd look good five pounds from now.
  • Petegriff67
    Options
    I think you look amazing and you really need to forget what others think and except you for who you are. Once you have done that, if you then feel like losing another 5lbs go for it, but don't do it for others, do it for you.

Still think you look amazing now, just look at the comparison photos, you have definitely achieved great things xXx
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Don't lose more weight. Lift or yoga.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think you look good as you are now. It would be okay to lose 5 more pounds if you want to, but I don't think you need to. If you did, would you be satisfied with it, or would you then want to lose 5 more? If you're never satisfied at your current weight regardless of what it is, then I'd say you have an issue.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think you look great (well done!) and you don't need to lose more weight at all.

The thing with other people's opinions (people that you know) is that I think that we can have a slightly skewed perspective of what people around us look like too. In general, in society, people are getting used to everyone being bigger, with overweight being more the norm. Also, when it's someone we know well, and we've always known them overweight, it can be very strange to see them a healthy weight. I think people often panic and say 'don't lose any more weight" because they're just not used to you looking like that. So, the people around you aren't always the best people to advise.

Ultimately, if you want to lose another 5 lbs or not - it's up to you. It's about how you feel in your skin. However - that is obviously greatly complicated by body dysmorphia.

Honestly, what I would recommend is waiting a while. Settle at this weight for a little while and let your brain catch up a bit. It's taken me quite a while to get used to my body as it is now, and to make up my mind whether to lose a bit more or not. There's no deadline, so there's not harm in waiting a bit to see. I would work on maintaining your weight, and becoming more comfortable with yourself as you are, and then in time, decide if you want to lose a little more fat.

In the meantime, counselling would definitely be a bonus, if you're not already getting some, and looking into strength training would also be a good idea, if you're not already.
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate hearing from all of you. It has been suggested by my therapist. He told me to ask people who don't know me much, or people who I met once or twice for their opinion.

I don't see myself fat, I see myself kinda chubby.

About the toning, I definetly need it, I'm trying to find time in my routine and also find some activity I like as I don't believe in doing it just for a few months, but in introducing a new habit into my life. I've sent my bike for repairs, I might start from riding it.

There is a "legend" which says people who had weight loss surgery put back on 10% of the weight they've lost after 2 years and that scares me to death. I am ok if I weight this much for the rest of my life, but not if I put 10 pounds on... that's why I was trying to lose a bit more.

I'm trying to look at the facts instead of believing in what I see in the mirror (also per professional advice). I'm a size 2-4 US, and I'm 41 years old, I have 3 kids. If it was someone other than myself, I'd say it's pretty good. It's weird when what you see is different from what the facts and the people tell you.

Once again, thank you so much for helping me out :smile: