No responses the first time :(

Options
So I've been having scale drama and I think I'm just going to give it up for a while. My normal bathroom scale gives me a different reading every time I'm on it, by 10lbs in either direction. When I got on the digital scale at my doctor's yesterday it said I weighed 20lbs more than what mine at home averages around. I've been using MFP for more than 6 months. I've been under my calories slightly every week. There is no way that in 6 months I've only lost 20lbs instead of the 40 something my home scale tells me. Anyway, I'm just frustrated and was wondering if people here still have success after giving up the scale. I'm maid of honor in my best friend's wedding in December and I'd really like to look my best by then. I'm just being a spaz I guess :(

For this community supposedly being built on support I'm going it alone at my home already, I'm just looking for a little encouragement and advice.

Replies

• angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble with scales, try measuring instead. If you're sticking to your calories/exercise you should be losing. Is there a scale you could use at a pharmacy or gym near you? They should be accurate, but don't take notice of the actual number, just if it goes down! Home scales can vary according to the surface they're on, carpet isn't good, a smooth flat surface is best. Also, have you checked the batteries? Good luck with your weight loss journey, keep going and you'll look gorgeous at the wedding!
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would say to get a new digital scale. I bought one on Amazon for about $30 and it reads the same every time. An accurate scale is vital.
  • paulyoung1703
    paulyoung1703 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thing is, how do you look?

The weight thing is just a number. Keep going, log accurately, exercise, and it will happen.
  • Jesysca
    Jesysca Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, just do some exercises more. keep your body moving and eat less than before. That's the key. Good luck!!
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    What scale did you start with when you first joined and logged your weight? If it was the one at home I would think you prob still lost the 40lbs but many it was reading too light from the beginning... Doesn't sound like a reliable scale. If you went to the docs in the beginning and now it's only reading 20lbs. I think that's prob what the loss amount would be then. Just focus on the activity and eating and the results will be there.
  • BeckysMama
    BeckysMama Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I gave up weighing myself as the scales never seemed to move even though i was being good and staying slightly below my calories, and exercising too. I used a tape measure instead and was glad to see i had lost 41/2" from my waist. So now I just stick to measuring. maybe you should try it too?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I use a scale but I know of people who don't and have been wildly successful at losing weight and getting fit. As angiewf said above, try measuring instead of weighing. That will be a better reflection of your success anyway.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    By 10lbs????? Get a new scale! Also try to weigh at the same time of day when you can and on the same set of scales as they will differ. I tend to change by up to a kilo from day to day and if I weigh in at my friend's house it's always about 4-5kg up on what my ones say at home.

I struggle with it too (especially when I work hard and see no differenece it's no disheartening) initially I would suggest a month of sticking to your calorie targets and taking measurements and not stepping on the scale at all. I gave up the scales for lent last year lol because I was becoming too attached to that number every morning.

Feel free to add me if you wish, we can have a spaz together :-)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you've lost 40lb, if your scale really is out by 20lb, then it was out by 20lb at the start, and you started 20lb heavier than you thought.... so you still lost 40lb

in any case, don't focus so much on the scale, focus more on how you look and feel and how your clothes fit. Even with an accurate scale you get day to day weight fluctuations, mostly from water, that can really mess with your head.... if you're consistently losing inches, and after a while needing to go out and buy smaller clothes, then that's fat loss and success, no matter what the scale says.
  • ct320
    ct320 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I woldnt worry too much if you feel you are still going in the right direction. Also if you want to leave the scales for a while I find I'm a lot happier sometimes by that tight pair of jeans suddenly fitting nicely then maybe even getting too big :wink:

different scales will give different results but if yours at home have been continually going down to make the 40lb loss you probably have lost that much and you would have weighed heavier from the start on the docs scales if you see what i mean- but 10lbs is quite a big differende too so might be best investing in a new set :smile: x
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I use a scale BUT have seen the results of my exercise much better through measurement. I have not lost hardly anything in pounds for 2 months but I have gone done two pant sizes. So as long as I have results somewhere, then I am good..:smile:
  • ct320
    ct320 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I woldnt worry too much if you feel you are still going in the right direction. Also if you want to leave the scales for a while I find I'm a lot happier sometimes by that tight pair of jeans suddenly fitting nicely then maybe even getting too big :wink:

different scales will give different results but if yours at home have been continually going down to make the 40lb loss you probably have lost that much and you would have weighed heavier from the start on the docs scales if you see what i mean- but 10lbs is quite a big differende too so might be best investing in a new set :smile: x
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    you've lost 40lb, if your scale really is out by 20lb, then it was out by 20lb at the start, and you started 20lb heavier than you thought.... so you still lost 40lb

in any case, don't focus so much on the scale, focus more on how you look and feel and how your clothes fit. Even with an accurate scale you get day to day weight fluctuations, mostly from water, that can really mess with your head.... if you're consistently losing inches, and after a while needing to go out and buy smaller clothes, then that's fat loss and success, no matter what the scale says.

exactly this.

if you're still going to use a scale, pick one scale.. only use that for your own comparisons. My weight is different on the scale at my Dr, versus at home.
  • Pugwash4x4
    Pugwash4x4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself in the same way? I way myself every Friday morning, before breakfast and having been tot he bathroom.

Take 3 readings over 2 minutes and average them

Test your scales with a known weight- ie a 5kg dumbbell and see if its accurate.

Don't worry about what you ACTUALLY weigh, be pleased with the change- scales are notoriously variable, so use the same set, and ignore any others
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you can get one now but I bought a Health-O-Meter the tall one with sliding weights like they use at the Dr. office at K's Merchandise over 25 years ago and it is as accurate as you can get. Well worth the investment and I'm sure it will last me my lifetime. You will never have to guess again!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    So I've been having scale drama and I think I'm just going to give it up for a while. My normal bathroom scale gives me a different reading every time I'm on it, by 10lbs in either direction. When I got on the digital scale at my doctor's yesterday it said I weighed 20lbs more than what mine at home averages around. I've been using MFP for more than 6 months. I've been under my calories slightly every week. There is no way that in 6 months I've only lost 20lbs instead of the 40 something my home scale tells me. Anyway, I'm just frustrated and was wondering if people here still have success after giving up the scale. I'm maid of honor in my best friend's wedding in December and I'd really like to look my best by then. I'm just being a spaz I guess :(

For this community supposedly being built on support I'm going it alone at my home already, I'm just looking for a little encouragement and advice.

Personally I like numbers and appreciate brutal honesty. If you dont like your weight to fluctuate by so much every day you can use my method:

1. Weigh yourself every morning when you first wake up before eating/drinking
    2. Record the number but don't stress out about it
    3. Use the number to calculate your 7 day rolling average weight (this will create a trend line and will smooth out most of your daily fluctuations)
    4. Repeat daily

If you don't want to weigh yourself because it is too stressful, then I like the food scale idea someone suggested above.

Another idea is just not to worry about it so much. Weight loss is not a race and clearly you are doing a lot of things right based on your progress pics. You are losing weight and improving your health. Great work! The speed at which you achieve your goal is not as important as the fact that you are moving in the right direction
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If you're not happy with the numbers. I'm sure there are so many other positives that you have achieved during with your weight loss.

Do you feel fitter?
    Do you feel healthier?
    Have you dropped in clothes size?
    Do you feel stronger?
    How do you feel when you exercise?
    Do you get as puffed as you used too?

There are many more questions you could ask yourself.
  • StellarPsyche
    Options
    OK, I have that issue too. It may be you're gaining muscle faster than you're losing fat. I've had instances where I've worked out all day, then the scale says I gained. I measure, I've lost... a lot. Factor in muscle, it saves on stress. Also, water weight. If you don't drink enough, you gain water weight.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with taking your measurements! Ive lost no weight before, but went down in pant sizes!

Also a few questions:

Have you been lifting weights? Maybe you have gained muscle!
    Do you measure/weigh your food? Maybe you are under estimating what you are actually eating. =(
    Do you use a heart rate monitor for calorie burn? Other wise you may be over estimating that!

All else falses, ask for a fancy new scale for christmas!

Good luck! =)
  • maryann9wood
    maryann9wood Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The scale I weigh on at the gym is sometimes messed up - I'll get on and be 20 pounds less than the week before! Step off and back on, and 20 pounds up! LOL - wish I could pick the one I like! They fix it and I go back to 1 or 2 pounds lost per week...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!