sports bras for the heavy chested

Options
I always have a killer hard time finding a decent sports bra. I either buy them too big and my boobs sag and flop (and I'll put TWO on to try and support, but it doesn't work), or buy them one size too small and I have side boob. Ladies, a little help please?
My normal bra size is 38 D, sometimes a 36 D depending on the brand.

Replies

• jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Moving Comfort has a lot of choices for those of us who are better endowed. You can choose based on level of control, too, which is nice. I do best if I buy one a size too small, otherwise, any impact exercise (e.g. jumping jacks) make me feel like I'm going to get knocked out.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I really like the Moving Comfort Fiona bra. I'm 36DD and some exercises are just plain painful, but when I tried on the bra in the shop I fell in love. I haven't been able to do jumping jacks or run without pain since I was ten.
  • gluteusassimus
    Options
    It just sucks trying to do things like jumping jacks and it feels like my chest is ripping apart. How much do the Moving Comfortable ones cost?
  • Shameless plug:

pop over to reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits

They have TONS of advice there for us bustier ladies.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant has some pretty great sports bras for the bustier ladies. they aren't much to look at, but from what I have heard they are some of the best out there. i think its kind of ridiculous how much a sports bra costs period to be honest though. And some place (like Sports Authority..) don't even carry bras for LARGER sizes.

http://www.lanebryant.com/active/sports-bras/20230c20242/index.cat
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I love my Enell (spelling?) bras for working out. They're definitely not the cheapest, though.
  • gluteusassimus
    Options
    Yeah. Trust me, I spent enough on the one I have now. They do charge a bit too much.
    Am I the only one that thinks that when it comes to larger bras, they are not as adorable as the smaller ones? That irritates me!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Find a place you can actually try them on. Mail order generally does not work here until you know the exact brand and size you need. Woodbury Commons is the best (closest) place to me with a few stores to try on different brands.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    double up.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I actually found one specific bra at Target that is a lifesaver for me and is the only thing that holds the girls in place while I jump around at zumba like a crazy woman. I pull the padding out (sure dont need it) and I took the straps and crisscrossed them instead of normal bra style -- I have one in every color now.

It's theonly one on target.com listed as high support.

http://www.target.com/tcin?searchTerm=14165027&category=0|All|matchallany|all+categories&lnk=Grid_acbra_090113_X0Y0W4|X0Y0W4|T:acbra_090113|C:&intc=1266557|null

My normal bra size is 36D but I get this one in 36DD becasue I like to cross the straps so its tighter.
  • smithed812
    Options
    I recently went to a Hanes outlet store where they sell Champion sports bras (Target sells them as well). I'm a 34DD and I got two 34Ds, one high support and one maximum support. I have the worst luck finding sports bras and these are easily the best I've ever had. No bounce, no uniboob, no side boob, just good support.

ETA: This is one of the ones I got. Couldn't find the other. And I forgot to add they are underwire which is a must-have for me.

http://www.championusa.com/workout-clothes/sports-bras-43553--1/maximum-support-bras/champion-powerback-underwire-sports-bra
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34DD and started my weight loss journey as a 38G, so I feel your pain! My favorites are the Moving Comfort Fiona, the Anita Extreme Control, and the Goddess sports bra. The Fiona comes in cute colors, and the Anita looks OK, but the Goddess is not particularly attractive. Of course, it is also the cheapest of the three, so keep that in mind!
  • Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I always get fitted for the particular brand I'm buying (as all brands measure their bra's differently, as I'm sure you know). I'm also now make sure I wear tight tops when in the gym - for the extra support. Some tops have inbuilt support as well, so all of these variables work to keep my boobs from jumping all over the place!
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    VICTORIA'S SECRET INCREDIBLE. it's the best ever. I just got it & I'm in love. Get fitted- I was a different size for their sports bras than regular. It's a racerback style but still has hook closure in the back. Great control! I've been wearing a 36-38 D, but I ended up with a 36 DDD sports bra! It felt tight in the band, but the woman helping me advised me that that's a good thing for keeping them in place! If I'd been shopping alone I probably would have gotten the 38 and it probably wouldn't have had as much control.

What I've been wearing for years before this is a different VS Sport bra with molded cups (but it still bounces), plus a moving comfort normal sports bra (not molded) on top to strap it all down. That has worked fine, but I'm excited that the Incredible lets me wear only one bra! It's definitely worth the money, considering I know I'll be wearing it for the next several years! When I lose weight I can always use the smaller notches on the band :)

I've heard good things about a particular Lululemon one for big-chested girls too, but i've never tried it. I'm not a fan of Moving Comfort really; I use the one I have just for compression on top of my old VS one!
  • OtterAmber
    OtterAmber Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just went to lululemon, they have an awesome one I bought, quite a bit of colors too.
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Under Armor has one that zips up the front so you're not trying to pull a sweaty bra over your head. . .You can get them at ****'s Sporting Goods.
  • erig09
    erig09 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a 36D and the best non side boob sport bra that I have is one from Victoria's Secret. http://www.victoriassecret.com/victorias-secret-sport/sports-bras/incredible-by-victoriarsquos-secret-sport-bra-vs-sport?ProductID=143732&CatalogueType=OLS

It's seriously my favorite bra ever.
  • krazeedr
    krazeedr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I really love my Double Layer Wirefree Sports bra (style # 23664) from Just My Size. I'm a 42D and find it to be very comfortable for both exercising and for regular day wear if I forget to swap to my regulars. It is a bit pricey at $47 each but for me, it's worth it.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have roughly the same size as you... I was at academy the other day looking at sports bra's. Underarmour had some that looked like they would strap those puppies to your chest, and they went up in size a pretty good ways. Unfortunately they were around $50.. but it was probably the best thing I've ever bought, they really keep those suckers in! I'm at work and can't remember the exact "type" it was, but if you wanted me to quote this post and reply if you want me to check when I get home.
  • ann_drop
    Options
    Enell Sports Bra. I get mine at discountsportsbras.com