How to start running....

Options
Need advice on how to start a running program. Go!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k - c25k for short. Google it - lots of online programs to give you an idea of what it is, and there are many apps you can download that take you through it on the road.

I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs - worked great, and I've been running for almost 2 years now.

Get good shoes, stick with the program, go slow, even if it seems easy the first couple of sessions. Good luck!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Start out walking for 30 min, the next day, run for one of the minutes...the next day 2....the next day 3...and so on. They shouldn't be consecutive minutes, spread them out. Eventually you'll be running all 30 min. But at first, don't worry about speed or distance at all, just keep building up to running for the full 30.

ADDED NOTE: Once you're running for the full 30 min, then start trying to increase your speed/distance a little each day.
  • faithfirst
    faithfirst Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Perfect! Thanks guys!!
  • epz1157
    epz1157 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k - 25k is a great start but question yourself why you're running. Make a commitment and take it outside so you can get motivated with other walkers or runner alike. Another benefit for running outside is the farther you go the farther it is to get back, you'll be surprise on the miles put in. Save the treadmill for rain days, slow short runs or extreme cold weather. Good luck and don't give up.:wink:
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Options
    I highly recommend one of the couch to 5K programs that works you up to it. Worked very well for me! :) Good luck
  • madaughe
    madaughe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program by active this week. And I am doing with a group of people who started at around the same time which I have found helpful and it i really enjoy hearing about other people experiences. Here is the group if you would like to join us http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/16810-c25k-oct-13 .