sucess seems soooo far away :-(

Options
shabrick00
shabrick00 Posts: 141 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
As I sit here and continue to read success stories, I get excited and then at the same time I feel hopeless. I guess becasue I am so confused on eating right or eating wrong. I read alot of post where people say you can eat what you want but in moderation while others are saying "whole foods, plants, no animal" etc. Its so confusing. I was diagnosed with a DVT in my left leg so until Im off the meds I try and stay away from the green leafy veggies (which are my favorites). I guess im in the mindset of "you have to eat fruits and veggies" only in order to lose weight. Maybe its that I want success to come NOW! And I do not it is a process. I mean the support here is amazing and I have seen several people who weigh as much as me or the same weight as I am who have awesome success..I just want it so bad. Just in need of some uplifting right now....-sigh:frown:

Replies

• horses1jessi
    horses1jessi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's all a growing process, you will learn what works for you as you go. One thing is for sure what works for one person may not be the same for another, go figure we are all individual. Eat as healthy as you can, but don't make yourself feel like you cant have some of the stuff that is not that good for us. I try to live by the 90-10 rule.. Eat 90% healthy and 10% of what I love.. You will find your stride, in the mean time just keep doing your homework, if you have time get on the internet and research different weight loss methods. What I have found works best for me is splitting my meals into 5 meals a day. Not ever letting myself get to the point of starving and keeping my metabolism going by constantly digesting food. And of course being active.. You'll find out what works for you.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    First off, let me say that you're already a success story.

You started.
    You've lost 7 lbs.
    You're still working to find the best way to go about things for your health.

To me, these things are successes. Maybe not the big success of reaching goal, but don't discount the smaller stuff, please.

I do understand that it's hard to decide who's right and who's wrong when it comes to what to do because just about everything will work for a group of someones. It's about figuring out what's best for you.

It took me a very long time to grasp that I couldn't do a plan that involved denying myself the things I love because I'll always end up binging and giving up. I've other things to work on, but without grasping that one single thing I wouldn't have lost what I did have kept it off, or be continually getting back at it when I do slip off by the wayside.

Not being able to eat the cruciferous vegetables can be really really frustrating. I did a year of that and it made me nuts because I love them. But did they give you a list of those you can eat with the meds? If not, see what you can find online, you may come up with options you didn't think about.

When it comes down to it, in my opinion, you can lose weight eating anything so long as you're in calorie deficit, but you might not feel the best doing it. I like a balance, myself, and over time I'm finding what foods make my body feel ick and weeding them out of my diet for the most part.

Remember, losing weight isn't all or nothing. Not in successes, not in what you're eating, nothing. It's about continuing to go forward, step by step, learning as you go along, changing where you see fit, and remembering that you shouldn't judge yourself against anyone else. This isn't a race or a competition. It's about making you the best you you can be.

You can do this.

(edited because we should never judge ourselves against others progress... sheesh)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Success happens during every meal and every workout. You can do it.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I hit those slumps too girl!!! I know how you feel...and yet as I sit here telling you that you can do this....You are doing this!!! Eat what you want within moderation, eat a lot of fruits and vegetables...you can eat lots of vegetables for less calories than say French fries and a burger....I still get a burger every once in a while and I also have turkey burgers...Make sure you use seasonings...they add so much delicious flavor!!! Like the above poster said...eat what works for you! You will find your stride in no time :)

Also I don't weigh but maybe every two weeks usually...that way I can see a decent loss :) Measure yourself!! First time I grabbed a tape measure..could barely get it around me!!!! Guess what!!! I can get it around me and there is plenty hanging loose now ;)

That is what keeps me going..when I'm feeling like all the hard work isn't doing it for me I either jump on a scale or grab my tape measure...and just plain rejoice in the fact that I am doing it!!! I am losing the weight! You can too and I hope you are ready for it! Its an amazing feeling! :)
  • HRCephei36
    Options
    Success should be a changed lifestyle not a number on the scale.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    First off, let me say that you're already a success story.

You started.
    You've lost 7 lbs.
    You're still working to find the best way to go about things for your health.

To me, these things are successes. Maybe not the big success of reaching goal, but don't discount the smaller stuff, please.

I do understand that it's hard to decide who's right and who's wrong when it comes to what to do because just about everything will work for a group of someones. It's about figuring out what's best for you.

It took me a very long time to grasp that I couldn't do a plan that involved denying myself the things I love because I'll always end up binging and giving up. I've other things to work on, but without grasping that one single thing I wouldn't have lost what I did have kept it off, or be continually getting back at it when I do slip off by the wayside.

Not being able to eat the cruciferous vegetables can be really really frustrating. I did a year of that and it made me nuts because I love them. But did they give you a list of those you can eat with the meds? If not, see what you can find online, you may come up with options you didn't think about.

When it comes down to it, in my opinion, you can lose weight eating anything so long as you're in calorie deficit, but you might not feel the best doing it. I like a balance, myself, and over time I'm finding what foods make my body feel ick and weeding them out of my diet for the most part.

Remember, losing weight isn't all or nothing. Not in successes, not in what you're eating, nothing. It's about continuing to go forward, step by step, learning as you go along, changing where you see fit, and remembering that you shouldn't judge yourself against anyone else. This isn't a race or a competition. It's about making you the best you you can be.

You can do this.

(edited because we should never judge ourselves against others progress... sheesh)

What she said....
  • AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I'm so impatient and I'm always wanting immediate satisfaction! I have days where I'm thinking: "dang, wish I had started this a year and a half ago, I'd be at goal by now!"

It's a marathon, not a sprint (you'll hear that a lot), and it gets more natural as time goes on, then you'll go do all the things you want!

Every time I see another pound gone I do a little victory dance and call my mom and she cheers me on (she already went through this and lost 130 pounds!)

Get your support system (like here!), have a plan (which it looks like you do), and celebrate all the little victories on your way to the big goal!
  • vivele8
    vivele8 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am slowly becoming a success story by having one 'big deal meal' a day (delicious calories splurge), and filling in the rest of the day with clean, fresh foods. The best advice I can offer you, is to stop listening to what everyone tells you, and just listen to your body. You'll feel better and make better choices the longer you stay committed to MFP, so just believe in yourself. Just be conscious of what you put in your body, sweat lots, drink water, and respect your body. You can totally do this. Best wishes!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I found I started to be more successful when I changed my mindset by keeping in mind that I didn't put all this weight on overnight, so I can't expect it to come off overnight. While I am losing weight, I track my successes more by the choices I'm making - when I grab a granola bar instead of Oreos, when I stay aware of controlling portion sizes at meals, when I stop for something to drink on a long car ride & I don't get some sort of junk food to go with it, when I don't take something to eat because I'm more aware of eating when I'm actually hungry instead of bored or because it's there. I could be losing a lot faster by eating cleaner & by measuring portions to exact sizes, but I am happy with how it's going & I'm incorporating the changes slowly so that they are more likely to stay as permanent lifestyle changes. I've found that trying to make too many changes at once or changes that are too drastic I fall off the wagon - I'm doing a much better job this way. Life is a marathon, not a sprint & I'm keeping a long term outlook........
  • CDJ1980
    CDJ1980 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been with MFP for almost 2 months. I've only lost 4 lbs but it's something! It can be hard and I'm sure you are determined to lose the weight. There are times I eat way more than I should but the next day I get right back on track. I'll send you a friend request and we can help motivate each other. I wish you all the luck in the world on you losing the weight :smile:
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this. Making small changes doesn't feel like much, but it really is key. Trying to change everything all at once will overwhelm you and set you up for failure. You're already on the right track! You started using MFP, and you're reading what has worked for others to try some of those things yourself. Do the best you can, and you will start to see the weight come off. At first, I felt like nothing was happening, but then 5 weeks in, you've lost weight! Then 3 months in, you've lost even more! Just track your food and exercise as best you can.

I've been using MFP since 2011, and I still feel like I have so much to learn! When I started, I really didn't think about nutrition AT ALL. Learning to take care of your body is a lifetime thing, and won't happen overnight :)

You can.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have found that you have to find the smaller successes. Like I noticed yesterday that I had to do my bra up one row tighter or that I can do more pushups than I was able to before, or I have logged a lot more workouts in September than I did in August. I have a long way to go, but weight isn't the only success (but it is a good one). I have only lost 9lbs in the last 3 months, but it is still progress and I am ok with that.

Good luck!
  • shabrick00
    shabrick00 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to read and respond, I will take the advice of all of you as you all seem to be on the same page. You know, sometimes you just need that extra pat on the back to keep going. That is why I am so thankful for this site because if I don't get that extra push anywhere I can count on it here... *HUGS ALL OF YOU*
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    agreed with all of my mfp buddies here. It is a process, you can't expect it to happen overnight. It is a lifetime commitment and once you come to that realization it will get you over alot of dreary days :) Im here if ya need me

Tof
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You've joined in September and have already lost 7 lbs. That's amazing! As the posts above have indicated, try not to focus so much on what to do or stress about if you're doing it right. Small steps work great in the beginning, both in choices for consumption and in incorporating exercise. Instead of measuring your victories on the weight loss, try to reward yourself based on positive actions and choices. For example, it is a success simply tracking your food. Maybe focus on that for a week, then analyze, and determine your goal for next week. Maybe next week it's tracking and incorporating more water. Or maybe it's just doing something good for yourself. Feeling good always helps us achieve whatever goals we establish for ourselves. Pat yourself on the back. You are doing awesome! You'll figure out the hows and the whats as your journey continues. One bit of advice is that deprivation always seems to backfire. If you're salivating thinking of your favorite food, then work it into your daily plan, otherwise it may start a binge or other choices that may sabotage your path... Good luck!
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Just set smaller milestones along the way. Getting to certain weights and or being able to work out a certain amount of time. A big goal can be daunting. For me it was getting under 200, losing 20, 30 lbs. Keep it simple. If you want more friends feel free to add me. We can always use extra support and a little fun. We don't have to be martyrs on this journey to being healthy. :bigsmile:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Success should be a changed lifestyle not a number on the scale.

Best thing said on this thread. :-D
  • ambuford21
    ambuford21 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just set smaller milestones along the way. Getting to certain weights and or being able to work out a certain amount of time. A big goal can be daunting. For me it was getting under 200, losing 20, 30 lbs. Keep it simple. If you want more friends feel free to add me. We can always use extra support and a little fun. We don't have to be martyrs on this journey to being healthy. :bigsmile:

Totally agree with this!! My first goal is to get to 200 which would be a huge thing for me because I hadn't weighed that since 2006. But I've also started thinking about how when I lost 6 pounds I was at my weight when I got married. Just this morning I realized that I haven't been this weight since I first started working a desk job 6 years ago and wasn't getting anywhere with my weight loss at that time. Little milestones. And remember, you'll start noticing changes before everyone else does so don't let that get you down. I say that because I crave that validation to help me keep going
  • mineownself
    Options
    I think the most important thing you can do for yourself right now is to believe that you will do this....not that you CAN but that you WILL.

Be positive in your journey, believe in your heart that you WILL reach your goals...and you will.

Mind over matter, it's the truth.

Good luck, and keep going. What works for you will be obvious in time.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's true, this is something that takes a long time, and that can make it very boring. But, just imagine how amazing it will feel once you have achieved your goal. I can promise you it's worth it. And while it is a slow tedious process, you'll have lots of exciting moments of feeling that you've achieved something along the way. Watching your body change can be a real buzz. I would recommend taking progress photos - start now if you haven't already, and take them every month or so. Sometimes you think things haven't really changed until you look at pictures. So, it's worth accepting that this is something that is often boring, and often difficult, but it's so, so worth it, and there will be exciting times along the way. :smile:

As for exactly how you should do it... Really, keep it simple. Make small changes that you can stick with permanently. I would highly recommend not cutting out any foods that you love (except for medical reasons obviously), not forcing yourself to do hours and hours of exercise that you don't enjoy, basically do what you can to not feel like you're "on a diet", and the whole thing will be a lot easier. If you want to change lots of habits, that's fine, but maybe pick one or two at a time to work on.

Here's a handy guide: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

You will hear a lot of advice, on these forums, elsewhere on the internet, and in real life. Some will be good advice, a lot will be crap, and it can be hard to know which is which. If in doubt, keep it simple. Don't make radical changes unless you're sure they're right for you. If you make mistakes, don't ever let that be reason to stop trying.

And, you'll get there. Don't think about wanting it RIGHT NOW. Think about where you're going to be this time next year. I can't promise you'll be at your goal, but you'll be a huge way towards it, and you'll look really different from how you do now. You just have to be patient and persistent, and don't give up. Ever. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.