Potatoes: Poe-tae-toe, Poe-tah-toe

Options

Replies

• mrscool5
    Options
    White potatoes get a bad rap. They are not "bad" like white rice or white bread. The bread and rice are only white because they are processed to be so, which takes out the important nutrients. White potatoes are high in things like vitamin C and potassium. The "bad" thing about white potatoes is that a lot of times people fry them and/or slather them with butter, sour cream, bacon, cheese, etc. (AKA my husband, LOL.)

I am a diabetic and don't seem to have any spikes or issues with potatoes, unlike with things like white pasta (yum!) or bread.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Now I am craving potato/sweet potato fries
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Ooooo... I like this thread! Sweet potato with quinoa & cumin sounds great, too!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes...ick...

I live in potato country...right smack dab in the middle of McCain Land...(yes their head office) and it's harvest time, I love going to the fields and picking up the new potatoes that the harvester misses (cause they are too small)...

Even as a diabetic (my brother has been since he was six) you can eat potatoes.

Potatoes are yummy....specially with butter and Plain greek yogurt mixed with Hidden valley ranch powdered dressing instead of sour cream.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes far too much to give them up entirely! Just can't make myself try sweet potatoes. I think its an aversion to the cloyingly sweet version mashed and covered in marshmellows. Yuck!
  • AmandaForKeeps
    AmandaForKeeps Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes far too much to give them up entirely! Just can't make myself try sweet potatoes. I think its an aversion to the cloyingly sweet version mashed and covered in marshmellows. Yuck!

I never liked sweet potatoes because I thought that is what they were, too! Then, when I was in college, my dorm mate would "bake" them in the microwave and I had a chance to taste them with a bit of salt. I fell in love! :)
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    So to summarize:

Potatoes of any sort are healthy. Sweet potatoes are given the nod over the other family members because they have more nutrients. It is a good idea to eat the skin of a potato.

There are many options for how to cook 'em. The less fat involved the less calories it will cost you. I like baked potatoes with greek yogurt, low fat cheddar cheese, broccoli and bacon bits. It is a good lunch or dinner :D

Sweet potatoes are better than yams in my humble opinion (yellow vs orange flesh). I am not a fan of the brown sugar/marshmallow version because it is too sweet to be anything but gross. Our family really likes sweet potatoes in our breakfast scrambles with onions, mushrooms, peppers, egg whites and some type of potato. Sometimes we add salsa or cheese or even guacamole.

49298353.png
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I love and eat both sweet and russet and Yukon gold and purple (although not easy to find). I guess it is in my Polish heritage to love any type of potato. The problem isn't the vegetable it is the fatty toppings people put on them.
  • jphoto801
    Options
    Not trying to make things difficult for myself.
    I feel a lot better and don't feel lethargic after eating whole grains now.
    Just wanted some advice on which potatoes are the better kind to eat,
    you know like custard based ice cream vs. frozen yogurt.
    The frozen yogurt tastes great, but is much healthier for you than the saturated custard ice creams.

Please no negativity, I'm all about helping others, encouragement, and honest advice.

No one is being negative. The advice you are being given is helpful. The debate of white potatoes vs sweet potatoes, which one is "good" and which is "bad" is pointless. Eat whichever potato you want. Not feeling lethargic after eating whole grains is all in your head honestly. 100g of sweet potato or 100g of white potato almost have equal nutritional values - Sweet potatoes being slightly higher calories and carbs because of the natural sugars. Honest advice - don't complicate your life. Unless you have a form of insulin resistance or are carb sensitive, just eat your carbs according to your daily goals. Focus on nutrient dense foods for overall health, but have fun as well. Carbs aren't bad. Now ditch the potato and have some ice cream!
    Yup. Especially to the ice cream part.

Wholemeal potatoes.

Seriously...make friends with sweet potatoes. Far more nutrients than the regular spud.
    LOL. No

Man you are great at spreading bro science

Maybe you should compare the vitamin A amounts in the two types before laying on the bro science accusation - the statement isn't strictly incorrect.
  • jphoto801
    Options
    Both types of potato are very healthy for you in their unaltered forms. I enjoy both as part of my current weight-loss diet. As much as I love white potatoes, though, I'll give the slight edge to sweet potatoes for two reasons.

a) They have a lot more moisture, so I find I'm less likely to add "lubricants" such as margarine or sour cream.
    b) They are simply more flavorful, so I'm less likely to add seasonings that usually include salt. Not that I'm wildly anti-salt, but still.

Plus, hey, variety is good. Eat everything that is a colorful vegetable.
  • Missysjbee
    Missysjbee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Who'd have thunk the Potato question would be so controversial? :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are very high in Vitamin A and beta-carotene but it's a mixed story for other nutrients. Unfortunately, the USDA food database is shut down but there's a good chart comparing the nutrient values of sweet potatoes to other starchy staples in the Wikipedia entry for sweet potatoes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Alan Agaron on the question.................

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-truth-behind-5-food-myths.html

"Sweet Potatoes are Better

Myth #2: "Sweet potatoes are better for you than white potatoes."

The origin: Because most Americans eat the highly processed version of the white potato—for instance, french fries and potato chips—consumption of this root vegetable has been linked to obesity and an increased diabetes risk. Meanwhile, sweet potatoes, which are typically eaten whole, have been celebrated for being rich in nutrients and also having a lower glycemic index than their white brethren.

What science really shows: White potatoes and sweet potatoes have complementary nutritional differences; one isn't necessarily better than the other. For instance, sweet potatoes have more fiber and vitamin A, but white potatoes are higher in essential minerals, such as iron, magnesium, and potassium. As for the glycemic index, sweet potatoes are lower on the scale, but baked white potatoes typically aren't eaten without cheese, sour cream, or butter. These toppings all contain fat, which lowers the glycemic index of a meal.

The bottom line: The form in which you consume a potato—for instance, a whole baked potato versus a processed potato that's used to make chips—is more important than the type of spud."
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes...ick...

I live in potato country...right smack dab in the middle of McCain Land...(yes their head office) and it's harvest time, I love going to the fields and picking up the new potatoes that the harvester misses (cause they are too small)...

Even as a diabetic (my brother has been since he was six) you can eat potatoes.

Potatoes are yummy....specially with butter and Plain greek yogurt mixed with Hidden valley ranch powdered dressing instead of sour cream.

Potato bully.
    Both types of potato are very healthy for you in their unaltered forms. I enjoy both as part of my current weight-loss diet. As much as I love white potatoes, though, I'll give the slight edge to sweet potatoes for two reasons.

a) They have a lot more moisture, so I find I'm less likely to add "lubricants" such as margarine or sour cream.
    b) They are simply more flavorful, so I'm less likely to add seasonings that usually include salt. Not that I'm wildly anti-salt, but still.

Snickering at 'potato lubricants..... '

clip_image002_thumb%5B3%5D.jpg?imgmax=800
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not trying to make things difficult for myself.
    I feel a lot better and don't feel lethargic after eating whole grains now.
    Just wanted some advice on which potatoes are the better kind to eat,
    you know like custard based ice cream vs. frozen yogurt.
    The frozen yogurt tastes great, but is much healthier for you than the saturated custard ice creams.

Please no negativity, I'm all about helping others, encouragement, and honest advice.

No one is being negative. The advice you are being given is helpful. The debate of white potatoes vs sweet potatoes, which one is "good" and which is "bad" is pointless. Eat whichever potato you want. Not feeling lethargic after eating whole grains is all in your head honestly. 100g of sweet potato or 100g of white potato almost have equal nutritional values - Sweet potatoes being slightly higher calories and carbs because of the natural sugars. Honest advice - don't complicate your life. Unless you have a form of insulin resistance or are carb sensitive, just eat your carbs according to your daily goals. Focus on nutrient dense foods for overall health, but have fun as well. Carbs aren't bad. Now ditch the potato and have some ice cream!
    Yup. Especially to the ice cream part.

Wholemeal potatoes.

Seriously...make friends with sweet potatoes. Far more nutrients than the regular spud.
    LOL. No

Man you are great at spreading bro science

Maybe you should compare the vitamin A amounts in the two types before laying on the bro science accusation - the statement isn't strictly incorrect.
    That's ONE nutrient. You know there is more to food than vitamin A, right?

White potatoes are full of some really great stuff. So are sweet potatoes.

I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. And sweet potatoes, FYI, aren't even actually potatoes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Two valid reasons to choose one over the other. I'm all about if you like it, eat it. If not, don't.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmm, 'taters are GOOD!

Why do people give such bad labels to good, healthy food? Potatoes in all forms and colors are high in potassium, fiber, Vitamin C and Iron. And they actually have some good protein in them.

Don't be afraid of "white" food....................
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I so know that whites are bad for my blood sugar like white breads, pastas, rice, etc.
    I've since changed all the carbs I eat which has been working wonders!
    Now, I'd love to eat a bake potato, but I don't know the healthier version of it...
    White potatoes would be....russets i guess?
    Are sweet potatoes okay?
    If sweet potatoes are okay to eat, what other potatoes are "clean"?
    I'm trying to make good lifestyle changes and I don't think I can avoid potatoes for the rest of my life.
    Plus, if I cook for others, I want them to eat healthy too, but still enjoy and feel full.
    Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-Bonnie

not sure i understand this whole clean eating thing but i would think since poe tae toes come from the ground they are clean (lol that's funny). how about purple potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, fingerling potatoes. sweet potatoes are awesome all by themselves just cook and eat. yum
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    We eat sweet potatoes often. Bake them whole, sweet potato baked fries, mashed up and mixed with quinoa, etc. However, you don't have to avoid the good ol' russet. Every once in awhile, I want a potato, so i have one (usually cut up, tossed with olive oil and s&p, and baked. Holy yum!!).
    This. Eat what's tasty!