October 2013 Move Your *kitten* Challenge

Options

Replies

• Slenderizeme1
    Slenderizeme1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I walked 6 miles this morning :) Bringing my total to 11.52 this month so far.

exercise.png
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,317 Member
    Options
    20h91td.jpg

@ Dave - So did some of those still at zero people get left on there from September? Nice graph by the way. :smile: How do you do all that stuff! Love it! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

@SUFFERLANDRIAN - Nope....while the "September leftovers" are still on the October sheet, they are not included in any of the counts. The "Still @ 0" group is people that said "I'm in!" this month and set a goal but have not reported any miles yet. No worries though....if I don't have any miles/kms reported by them tomorrow, I'll release the hounds on them. :bigsmile: @JTH11706 get ready with your stick and @ANACONDA469 grab your Taser! :wink::laugh:

No, but seriously, they can expect a friendly check-in PM from me asking them "Whassup?? Why you no movey yet??" I'll be nice cuz maybe they have* been moving, they just haven't gotten around to posting it yet or they're sick/injured or have a valid reason. It'll just be a friendly nudge so they know somebody notices these things. :smile:

Dave
    Darkrider42
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Progress report:

exercise.png
  • momof2boyz832
    momof2boyz832 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    10/4.. 7 miles..

exercise.png
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight. Working out on weights doesn't show any calories burned under added exercises and there's no way to just add them in? Also, the elliptical. If you figure the travel of a pedal on the elliptical is 47cm and you work out for 30 minutes logging 3352 steps, at 47cm per step that's 157,544 cm or 1.57 km which amounts to less than a mile (0.985 miles), so you burn about 500 calories per mile. Does that seem reasonable? That's like more calories per mile than hockey or XC skiing!

Look for circuit training under cardio exercises, it returns calories burned.

The travel of the pedal is 47 cm, but you don't measure distance at the pedal You measure it at the wheel. Say for a 700*23 wheel the traveled distance should be about 210 cm (the circumference of the wheel) * 3352 revolutions. This would give 703,920 cm or 7.04 km which makes more sense
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Slow run for me this morning.
    I knew I would be slower with my weight lifting program, but it's always a bit annoying.
    Anyway, covered 5.08 miles on a beautiful fall morning.

exercise.png

"I am a work in progress, and it's ok."
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mu563hRWz01sr9vtpo1_400.jpg
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    updated to here...
  • texerus
    texerus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I’m having a similar problem figuring measuring distance on my elliptical. My guess is as follows:

The diameter of the wheel (inside the cover) is 15.625 inches. Basic mathematics tells us to multiply by pi π 3.14 so (3.14 x 15.625) = 49.6 (rounded) inches or 4.13 ft. (divided by 12 in.) feet for circumference to reach revolution per foot. It takes one full revolution to register as one on the machine. Each circular revolution of one foot counts as one on the machine except counting the other foot traveled would equal twice that much for 4.13 x 2 = 8.26 ft.

Example: 1000 revolutions should yield (4.13 x 2) = 8.26 x 1,000) 8,260 feet divided by the feet in a mile (5,280) = 1.56 miles.

Backward finding for a mile would be 5,280 / 8.26 = 639.2 revolutions per mile

Someone please check this and see if I have misjudged something.
  • dinos
    Options
    20h91td.jpg

@ Dave - So did some of those still at zero people get left on there from September? Nice graph by the way. :smile: How do you do all that stuff! Love it! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

@SUFFERLANDRIAN - Nope....while the "September leftovers" are still on the October sheet, they are not included in any of the counts. The "Still @ 0" group is people that said "I'm in!" this month and set a goal but have not reported any miles yet. No worries though....if I don't have any miles/kms reported by them tomorrow, I'll release the hounds on them. :bigsmile: @JTH11706 get ready with your stick and @ANACONDA469 grab your Taser! :wink::laugh:

No, but seriously, they can expect a friendly check-in PM from me asking them "Whassup?? Why you no movey yet??" I'll be nice cuz maybe they have* been moving, they just haven't gotten around to posting it yet or they're sick/injured or have a valid reason. It'll just be a friendly nudge so they know somebody notices these things. :smile:

Dave
    Darkrider42

Well Dave I must say that your friendly PMs and pep talks work wonders. Last month you managed to reduce the number of non-moving people from 50 to 14 :noway: and trust me, this is a major accomplishment :drinker: :drinker:
  • dinos
    Options
    Slow run for me this morning.
    I knew I would be slower with my weight lifting program, but it's always a bit annoying.
    Anyway, covered 5.08 miles on a beautiful fall morning.

exercise.png

"I am a work in progress, and it's ok."

S-p-e-e-d-y SPEEDY SPEEDY :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • darkrider42
    Options
    So let me get this straight. Working out on weights doesn't show any calories burned under added exercises and there's no way to just add them in? Also, the elliptical. If you figure the travel of a pedal on the elliptical is 47cm and you work out for 30 minutes logging 3352 steps, at 47cm per step that's 157,544 cm or 1.57 km which amounts to less than a mile (0.985 miles), so you burn about 500 calories per mile. Does that seem reasonable? That's like more calories per mile than hockey or XC skiing!

Look for circuit training under cardio exercises, it returns calories burned.

The travel of the pedal is 47 cm, but you don't measure distance at the pedal You measure it at the wheel. Say for a 700*23 wheel the traveled distance should be about 210 cm (the circumference of the wheel) * 3352 revolutions. This would give 703,920 cm or 7.04 km which makes more sense

I completely agree with Dino on the elliptical stuff. The machine I use at the gym does calculate miles for me and when I bust it out for 30 minutes, it is ballpark around 4.2 miles.....not nearly as much per minute as a stationary bike (probably because it resembles a low, single gear), but definitely more miles than I'd cover on foot walking or running.

And I also agree that calories are burned during strength training. It gets tricky trying to calculate and record them though. The exertion phase and momentary increased blood pressure on the lift portion of the movement whacks out typical heart rate monitors and they WAAAY overestimate the calories burned, but obviously, you're burning FAR more calories than if you were sitting on the couch with the TV remote and a bag of chips. :laugh: I allow myself 200-300 calories for a good, hard 30 minutes of lifting and when I'm entering it into my MFP app on my android phone, I manually edit the total cals.

Hope that helps! :)

Dave
  • darkrider42
    Options
    I’m having a similar problem figuring measuring distance on my elliptical. My guess is as follows:

The diameter of the wheel (inside the cover) is 15.625 inches. Basic mathematics tells us to multiply by pi π 3.14 so (3.14 x 15.625) = 49.6 (rounded) inches or 4.13 ft. (divided by 12 in.) feet for circumference to reach revolution per foot. It takes one full revolution to register as one on the machine. Each circular revolution of one foot counts as one on the machine except counting the other foot traveled would equal twice that much for 4.13 x 2 = 8.26 ft.

Example: 1000 revolutions should yield (4.13 x 2) = 8.26 x 1,000) 8,260 feet divided by the feet in a mile (5,280) = 1.56 miles.

Backward finding for a mile would be 5,280 / 8.26 = 639.2 revolutions per mile

Someone please check this and see if I have misjudged something.

I was told there would be no math here!!!! :laugh::laugh:

I'm not a mathematician...I just play one on TV.

Dave
  • darkrider42
    Options
    Well Dave I must say that your friendly PMs and pep talks work wonders. Last month you managed to reduce the number of non-moving people from 50 to 14 :noway: and trust me, this is a major accomplishment :drinker: :drinker:

Thank you, Dino...I really appreciate that! :drinker:

Dave
  • bunnybutler29
    Options

exercise.png
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    5.12 Miles to start the Month

exercise.png

Andy
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Completed another 1.2 miles today

exercise.png
  • MichelleADB
    MichelleADB Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ran 6 this morning.

exercise.png
  • britfout
    britfout Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join in? If not my goal is 30 miles :)

exercise.png
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm in! 20 miles is my goal.