Potatoes: Poe-tae-toe, Poe-tah-toe

Options
13»

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    not sure i understand this whole clean eating thing but i would think since poe tae toes come from the ground they are clean (lol that's funny). how about purple potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, fingerling potatoes. sweet potatoes are awesome all by themselves just cook and eat. yum

I wish I could find purple potatoes here! Love them.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Who'd have thunk the Potato question would be so controversial? :)
    I knew as soon as I saw the thread topic that it would be. Food controversies are like politics on MFP. :laugh:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I knew as soon as I saw the thread topic that it would be. Food controversies are like politics on MFP. :laugh:

But have they ever caused a MFP shutdown ?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

But have they ever caused a MFP shutdown ?
    They shutdown non-essential parts, namely the threads. The mods drop by and lock them.
  • jphoto801
    Options
    Not trying to make things difficult for myself.
    I feel a lot better and don't feel lethargic after eating whole grains now.
    Just wanted some advice on which potatoes are the better kind to eat,
    you know like custard based ice cream vs. frozen yogurt.
    The frozen yogurt tastes great, but is much healthier for you than the saturated custard ice creams.

Please no negativity, I'm all about helping others, encouragement, and honest advice.

No one is being negative. The advice you are being given is helpful. The debate of white potatoes vs sweet potatoes, which one is "good" and which is "bad" is pointless. Eat whichever potato you want. Not feeling lethargic after eating whole grains is all in your head honestly. 100g of sweet potato or 100g of white potato almost have equal nutritional values - Sweet potatoes being slightly higher calories and carbs because of the natural sugars. Honest advice - don't complicate your life. Unless you have a form of insulin resistance or are carb sensitive, just eat your carbs according to your daily goals. Focus on nutrient dense foods for overall health, but have fun as well. Carbs aren't bad. Now ditch the potato and have some ice cream!
    Yup. Especially to the ice cream part.

Wholemeal potatoes.

Seriously...make friends with sweet potatoes. Far more nutrients than the regular spud.
    LOL. No

Man you are great at spreading bro science

Maybe you should compare the vitamin A amounts in the two types before laying on the bro science accusation - the statement isn't strictly incorrect.
    That's ONE nutrient. You know there is more to food than vitamin A, right?

White potatoes are full of some really great stuff. So are sweet potatoes.

I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. And sweet potatoes, FYI, aren't even actually potatoes.

I don't recall stating that there was only vitamin A. Is there a particular reason why you would think that I believe that there is nothing more to food than that?

I was responding to a blanket statement of "no" to the notion that sweet potatoes are more nutritious (in this one area, they certainly are and it's not even close). And I was correct, so I don't see the issue.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The frozen yogurt tastes great, but is much healthier for you than the saturated custard ice creams.

Please no negativity, I'm all about helping others, encouragement, and honest advice.

No one is being negative. The advice you are being given is helpful. The debate of white potatoes vs sweet potatoes, which one is "good" and which is "bad" is pointless. Eat whichever potato you want. Not feeling lethargic after eating whole grains is all in your head honestly. 100g of sweet potato or 100g of white potato almost have equal nutritional values - Sweet potatoes being slightly higher calories and carbs because of the natural sugars. Honest advice - don't complicate your life. Unless you have a form of insulin resistance or are carb sensitive, just eat your carbs according to your daily goals. Focus on nutrient dense foods for overall health, but have fun as well. Carbs aren't bad. Now ditch the potato and have some ice cream!
    Yup. Especially to the ice cream part.

Wholemeal potatoes.

Seriously...make friends with sweet potatoes. Far more nutrients than the regular spud.
    LOL. No

Maybe you should compare the vitamin A amounts in the two types before laying on the bro science accusation - the statement isn't strictly incorrect.
    That's ONE nutrient. You know there is more to food than vitamin A, right?

White potatoes are full of some really great stuff. So are sweet potatoes.

I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. And sweet potatoes, FYI, aren't even actually potatoes.

I don't recall stating that there was only vitamin A. Is there a particular reason why you would think that I believe that there is nothing more to food than that?

I was responding to a blanket statement of "no" to the notion that sweet potatoes are more nutritious (in this one area, they certainly are and it's not even close). And I was correct, so I don't see the issue.
    That doesn't make them "more nutritious." That just means they have more of one specific nutrient. I guess if your goal is to get more vitamin A, you should choose sweet potatoes.
  • jphoto801
    Options
    "That doesn't make them "more nutritious." That just means they have more of one specific nutrient."

All else being equal, that would actually be the definition of more nutritious.

A person was saying that sweet potatoes were not more nutritious. (statement)

I pointed out that in one way, they certainly were. So "not so" as the final answer isn't entirely accurate. (correction of statement)

How this became a point of contention is very confusing for me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    "That doesn't make them "more nutritious." That just means they have more of one specific nutrient."

I pointed out that in one way, they certainly were. So "not so" as the final answer isn't entirely accurate. (correction of statement)

Because as someone else pointed out they have less of other nutrients such as iron and other vitamins (the list is above somewhere). Both are nutritious but both contain different micronutrients. Solution: eat both. :laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options

Ah.

So an orange is more nutritious than a steak because an orange has more viatmin C.

Good use of logic. A+.
  • jphoto801
    Options

Because as someone else pointed out they have less of other nutrients such as iron and other vitamins (the list is above somewhere). Both are nutritious but both contain different micronutrients. Solution: eat both. :laugh:

Of course. :D That was my opinion all along - in fact I often mash them together for an unholy slurry of goodness.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

If sweet potatoes are okay to eat, what other potatoes are "clean"?

Isn't the idea of eating 'clean' to eat whole, unprocessed foods? In which case, a potato is clean.

I could have completely misinterpreted that to be fair, I like my apparently dirty foods too much to investigate it.

Potatoes are tubers grown in soil. I guess in that respect, they could be dirty...? ::laugh::
  • jphoto801
    Options

Ah.

So an orange is more nutritious than a steak because an orange has more viatmin C.

Good use of logic. A+.

You're grading me on a thing I never said or implied. I'll let you think on that for a while until you calm down. It's grown-up time.
  • rml_16
    Options
    You're grading me on a thing I never said or implied. I'll let you think on that for a while until you calm down. It's grown-up time.
    LOL. No

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Of course. :D That was my opinion all along - in fact I often mash them together for an unholy slurry of goodness.

Now I just wonder what mixed mashed potatoes tastes like. And for herbs, should I go sweet or savory?! Must experiment...
  • jphoto801
    Options
    LOL. No

Thank you for re-posting the thing that I said that was entirely accurate, in the hopes of preventing disinformation being taken as true. Not sure what you're doing.

Still waiting for my orange / steak comparison you graded me on, though. You know, that thing I didn't do. Because those things are not comparable, as I took pains to point out previously by saying "all else being equal".

Please take an hour or two to calm down before continuing. Internet arguments have a certain reputation because of things like this.
  • rml_16
    Options
    LOL. No

Thank you for re-posting the thing that I said that was entirely accurate, in the hopes of preventing disinformation being taken as true. Not sure what you're doing.

Still waiting for my orange / steak comparison you graded me on, though. You know, that thing I didn't do. Because those things are not comparable, as I took pains to point out previously by saying "all else being equal".

Please take an hour or two to calm down before continuing. Internet arguments have a certain reputation because of things like this.
    Maybe it's the editor in me, but I read what you wrote, not -- apparently -- what you meant.

Someone said sweet potatoes are "more nutritious." Someone else called it bro science and you backed up the poster who said they were more nutritious by citing one single nutrient. Having more of one specific nutrient does not make something more nutritious than something else.

By your logic (having more vitamin A makes a sweet potato more nutritious), an orange is more nutritious than a steak due to its high amount of vitamin C.

No amount of, "I didn't say that," will make it disappear. Because you did. And then insulted me for pointing out that you were incorrect.

But, yes, I'm the one who is having a tantrum and needs to grow up. :flowerforyou:

Also, so we're clear, pointing out an inaccuracy does not mean I am upset. There is no need to calm down. I'm perfectly calm. I'm not sure why you think I'm not.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Again from Alan Agaron

"The differences between the two types. I'll compare known micronutrition with approximately equicaloric portions (173g Russet versus 180g sweet potato):

-- Sweet potatoes have appx 2g more fiber (4.0g versus 5.9g).
    -- They have an equal glycemic load.
    -- Russet has more protein.
    -- Sweet potato has more vitamin A.
    -- They are equal in vitamin C (russet has more but to an insignificant degree).
    -- Sweet potato is higher in B vitamins with the exception of B-6.
    -- Russet is higher in iron, magnesium, phosphorus, & potassium.
    -- Sweet is higher in calcium.
    -- They are virtually equal in zinc & copper.
    -- Sweet is higher in manganese.
    -- Russet is higher in selenium."
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    If you really want a baked white potato, have one. Just don't load it up with butter and sour cream, that's what makes them unhealthy. They are delicious with salsa! Don't forget to eat the skin, that's where you get the nutrients and fiber.

I was under the impression that bacon, butter, and sour cream would slow the absorption of the relatively simple carbs in a baked potato, making it "healthier"
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options

When eaten with the skin, potatoes have both fiber and vitamin C. Sweet potatoes pack more nutrients but are similar in calories.

It's all the sour cream and butter we put on potatoes that make them high calorie. I love a small baked potato with salsa and a little (couple of tablespoons) of shredded low fat cheddar.
  • jphoto801
    Options
    LOL. No

Maybe it's the editor in me, but I read what you wrote, not -- apparently -- what you meant.

Someone said sweet potatoes are "more nutritious." Someone else called it bro science and you backed up the poster who said they were more nutritious by citing one single nutrient. Having more of one specific nutrient does not make something more nutritious than something else.

By your logic (having more vitamin A makes a sweet potato more nutritious), an orange is more nutritious than a steak due to its high amount of vitamin C.

No amount of, "I didn't say that," will make it disappear. Because you did. And then insulted me for pointing out that you were incorrect.

But, yes, I'm the one who is having a tantrum and needs to grow up. :flowerforyou:

Also, so we're clear, pointing out an inaccuracy does not mean I am upset. There is no need to calm down. I'm perfectly calm. I'm not sure why you think I'm not.

I can't think of another reason why you're still going on with this. Make it disappear? Make what disappear? I never said that a sweet potato is more nutritious than a white one - because that isn't true, and they both have strengths. I said that it's more nutritious in one specific way, as an example. Big difference.

person A: " Far more nutrients than the regular spud."
    person B: "LOL no - blah blah bro science"
    me: "Maybe you should compare the vitamin A amounts in the two types before laying on the bro science accusation - the statement isn't strictly incorrect."*

you: decide to argue this and purposely misquote me repeatedly, while inventing comparisons I never made.

*Carefully note the lack of me saying that white potatoes are inferior as some sort of more-less blanket statement. The statement of person A isn't entirely incorrect because sweet potatoes have more of some nutrients.

Still have no idea why you're arguing this, and inventing comparisons I never made about oranges and beef and whatever else you're going on about completely at random. I can only conclude that you're a person that bunkers down and argues until the other person just dies of exhaustion, facts be damned.