Limit carbs

Options
So what is a comfortable amount of carbs?
Would anyone let me follow their food diary who limits their carbs? Im not saying Adkins low just taking some monitoring.

Replies

• athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    A carb count of 100-150 grams is a great place to be. I used to do low, low carb and I can say that I feel much better now at the 150 mark.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So what is a comfortable amount of carbs?
    Would anyone let me follow their food diary who limits their carbs? Im not saying Adkins low just taking some monitoring.

Probably depends very much on you, your food preferences, environment and insulin sensitivity.

Anywhere above about 60g would suit many.
  • Ottawa_Randy
    Ottawa_Randy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Same as Athena, except going low carb gave me more energy but was a little hard to maintain. I aim for 100 or less now with some days over (like today ;-) ), but I work out pretty well every day and my blood/sugar is always just under the crossover point.
    Also for me Low Carb led to more calorie dense foods and by upping the carbs a bit I have baby carrots, and more fruit.
    Definitely not knocking low carb. I did Protein Power and Atkins with Low Carb Friends but find as long as my Blood/Sugar is in line I don't have to monitor as closely.
    BTW: My lipid profile was the best it has ever been when under 50 carbs/day.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned, depends on your activity, goals, and carb sensitivity. And source of carbs!

I aim for ~100g, but I've been doing poorly with that (edit: poorly in sticking to that! my own fault). If I was more active, it would be fine to be slightly higher....working back up to it!

Back when I was in my mid 20s, I could easily lose at 150g carbs/day, and light-moderate exercise. Now, not so much!! lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    honestly, unless you have some kind of medical condition or sensitivity to carbs it does not matter. Overeating makes you gain weight, not carbs.

As long as you are in a calorie deficit and hitting your carb macro for the day, you will be fine...

Most people set their carb macro anywhere from 25 to 40%. I try to hit about 25-30% a day as that works best for me..
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Not saying you should or shouldn't, but why are you interested in limiting your carbs?
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    We have this idea that carbs are bad, but your body needs them to function. I personally eat about 50-60% carbs and I have never felt better. The key is the kind of carbs that you eat. Stick with complex carbs like oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice, and fruit.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    We have this idea that carbs are bad, but your body needs them to function.

Well, I think you could get by without any. Your body would be able to make the glucose from other sources. Not to mention use of ketone bodies to offset the need for glucose.

But... carbs aren't bad. They're wonderful. I get about 30-40% carbs depending on the day.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I try to limit mine to between 300-500.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I think 150 - 175 is good for me.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I'm too faint when I eat below90 so mine are generally
    between 92-150. I will go higher on cheat days. Only