Diet pepsi addiction HELP!!!

Options
Ok so yesterday on a bet with a good friend, I gave up my 4-5 cans of diet pop a day addiction. OMG! Right now I would actually kill someone for a diet dr pepper.... Has anyone else given up diet pop? Does anyone know about how long it takes for the headache and cravings to simmer down??? I have been drinking litres and litres of water, flavored water and tea. But I still feel thirsty.. Like I'm missing something... PLEASE HELP! I promise I'm actually a nice person, not a crazy homicidal diet pepsi addict!

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Ok so yesterday on a bet with a good friend, I gave up my 4-5 cans of diet pop a day addiction. OMG! Right now I would actually kill someone for a diet dr pepper.... Has anyone else given up diet pop? Does anyone know about how long it takes for the headache and cravings to simmer down??? I have been drinking litres and litres of water, flavored water and tea. But I still feel thirsty.. Like I'm missing something... PLEASE HELP! I promise I'm actually a nice person, not a crazy homicidal diet pepsi addict!

I feel your pain...

the headaches take me 2-3 days to get over when I quit cold turkey. They usually take 18-24 hours to kick in and hold for 48 hours or so.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Yep, 2-3 days. For that many sodas a day, I probably wouldn't have recommended cold turkey.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    and for you soda hating whackos this is symptoms of QUITTING...

When I'm not a quitter everything is hunky doory.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You are likely missing the caffeine. Have a cup of tea or coffee.
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did not quit cold turkey. I cut my intake down each day and still had a headache for about 2 days. I used to drink about 3-4 diet dr. peppers a day. I have not had one in about 7 weeks and still sounds good but feel better for quitting. You can do it!
  • Katou86
    Katou86 Posts: 12
    Options
    I drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning and tea all day. I don't think lack of caffeine is an issue :) I had started trying to cut back before quitting, I had good days and bad. But I found that I would drink water and tea all day, then as soon as I got home I would drink can after can. I would justify it because I hadn't had any at work. Thats when it went from 2 a day to 4 or 5. So cold turkey (and a $50 bet) seemed like the way to go.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    stop focusing on the struggle. the more you focus on the struggle the more it wins. it's all mental. if you really want to kick it that is, i see no problem with a couple 2-3 cans of diet pepper a day. matter a fact i think i will crack one open right now.......
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I guess all the moderation advocates are still in bed.

I'm looking forward to your interrogation regarding why you think soda is so evil (or else you wouldn't give it up, right?).

I also like the kitty gifs.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda and switched to coffee. But I still do crave a diet dr. pepper every now and again :) Tea is also good if you are quitting. It will cut down the headaches. Your body just wants caffeine.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

I'm looking forward to your interrogation regarding why you think soda is so evil (or else you wouldn't give it up, right?).

funny-kitty-standing-match.jpg

Got ya covered. :wink:

So, why ARE you quitting soda?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

funny-kitty-standing-match.jpg

Got ya covered. :wink:

So, why ARE you quitting soda?

ADDICTION!
  • Katou86
    Katou86 Posts: 12
    Options
    I never said it was evil... I am giving it up because I feel like I drink too much of it. It contains no nutrients, it makes me feel bloated so for me I find that the negatives of it out weigh the fact that it tastes good. It's a personal choice, thats all.
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I never said it was evil... I am giving it up because I feel like I drink too much of it. It contains no nutrients, it makes me feel bloated so for me I find that the negatives of it out weigh the fact that it tastes good. It's a personal choice, thats all.

Yes this!
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    It was easy for me to quit when I learned that it turns in formaldehyde in your body. POISON. That's enough reason to never drink that stuff again. Full of GMO's.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i've quit caffeine twice. took a week or two to feel right. i do, however, drink it again on advice from my dr as it makes one of my medicines work better for my migraines. i only drink 1 a day now as opposed to 5.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Maybe what you "are missing" is the carbonation. Try some plain or flavored seltzer. Won't take too long for the caffeine headaches to go away -- tea & coffee can solve that.
  • vickilowell
    vickilowell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did have a diet soda addiction, until I started really reading about how awful it was.... I did not quit cold turkey as the migraines were too much.....I cut what I drank in half, added hot black tea to supplement the caffeine and then after two weeks I cut my intake in half again and then two weeks later just stopped. Now and then (maybe once a month) I'll have ONE can but once you kick the addiction (and it is addictive) you won't miss it at all. Try flavored seltzers for the fizzy taste if you need it. You can do it without killing yourself with headaches and you'll be so glad you did. I've been off them now for 3 years.
  • sfalk1977
    sfalk1977 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm a pepsi max addict and have quit drinking it althogether now for a month. I have previously given it up for much longer periods (i.e while I was pregnant and breastfeeding when I gave it up for about 4 years - two pregnancies). When I get a craving, I drink fruit juice with fizzy water. Not the same, but it helps.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    For a diet pepsi addiction, I recommend switching to diet coke. So much better.

But seriously, the headaches will pass after a few days. You're stronger than me for trying to quit. I love that crap.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I did super gradual. From 3-4 per day, to 1 per day. Then tried limiting myself to a 12 pack per month. That was not too successful. Finally, started having it just 2-3 times a week and now I don't drink it except very occasionally...maybe once a month.

What really helped me was La Croix canned sparkling water from Target. It is the closest thing I have found to soda. They have really good peach-pear and grapefruit flavors, they are not artificially sweetened so they are kind of an acquired taste (I LOVE it). I don't drink them very often now either, but during the time when I was transitioning away from diet colas, it really helped...and psychologically it feels just like having a soda, so you don't fully realize you are weaning yourself off of caffeine.