Feeling Like a Failure! HELP!

Options
Why can't I stay motivated to lose weight? This time last year I was killin' it, exercising, eating healthy and the pounds were falling off. I hit my 50 lb w/l mark and felt FANTASTIC! Then I sustained a pelvis/hip injury from running and could no longer run. I lost my motivation. A month or so ago I started again. I lasted 3 weeks and fell off the wagon. WHY IS THIS SO HARD!?!? I've gained back almost 20 lbs and feel like *kitten*! Today I woke up motivated but it has fizzled off already.

I need some help!

What do you do to get yourself back on track and STAY there?

Replies

• Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    the best thing I can tell you is that when you fizzle make a deal to go ANYWAY.. I too am recovering from a running injury and it has been difficult to stay on track when we cant exercise...break it down to one day at a time ( this is working for me currently) I know where I want to end up...so I do ONE THING that gets me there.. whether it be taking a short walk ( taking the dog with me guilt is a huge motivator in my house LOL) getting on my bike for a couple miles...whatever.. hang in there sometimes we just need a break...breaks over one thing a day.. everyday...
  • jodytheriault
    jodytheriault Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. We will motivate each other. Gifts work lol. I am back at it so I will help you if you help me. You are not a failure!!! Never give up and you are beautiful and wonderful just how you are!!! We will do it together. Love ya!!
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You are not a failure you did it once you can comeback and do it again....If you need support friend me ...we are here to help!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I don't have the solution but you are not alone. I had a great run march to June and since then have just kinds been floating along. I think you just have to keep recommitting, till its easy again :( you can do it
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are putting too much pressure on yourself. Don't expect to be super motivated every day. It really just comes down to how bad you want it, and I think it's completely natural to want it more some days than others.

Don't let one bad day or week become the habit. If you fall off the wagon, just get back on. Don't think about how much you failed by falling, think about how much you win by getting back on.
  • DKrisAn
    DKrisAn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You are not failing at all. I too have gained weight back. In 2009-2010 I worked extremely hard to lose weight. I went from about 200lbs to 149lbs. I got out of the habit of tracking food and working out. I gained almost all of that weight back. Now I am down to 177. We all at once time or another loose motivation. All we can do is forget about the past and live in the present to achieve the goals we have set.

You can add me as a friend if you would like to.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    When motivation fails, my determination kicks in. Doesn't work every time but it does more often than not. My determination bridges the gaps in my motivation. Not doing what I need to (food or exercise) for more than a day or two is just not an option.

Getting some good friends on here may help you stay motivated too, they can help to hold you accountable and inspire you when you are uninspired.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I lost that motivation, too, for a bit. I gained back almost 15 lbs from my lowest. I just didn't have it in me any more to track fully, but I kept doing at least 3-5 days a week of simply cardio exercises. Weight kept creeping on. I finally was able to recommit when I started new programs with friends. One is a twice a week weight training session at a local gym with a best friend. The other is Insanity that I do with a friend out of town. We just email each other every day to check in on our workouts. How did we do? Aren't we dreading it? That kind of thing. But we motivate each other. Knowing that SHE is going to do the workout with no excuses makes me want to be able to keep up. The weight isn't coming off very quickly, but I feel really good for taking control of it all again. I can no longer beat myself up for the backsliding that I did. Just knowing I'm doing it is giving me back the drive I needed. You can find your motivation! You can do this!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    You are not a failure. I have the same problem. I'd be really consistent for a few months, then fall off, get back on track, and lose it again. Each time on track gets a little longer. I made it almost 2 years this time before I started to get the fitness blahs this time around.

My tips:

- Do you have a workout buddy? If you don't, see if you can find someone. It's hard to cancel a workout when you know someone is waiting for you.
    - Try out a new fitness class. Even if you don't realize it, you could be bored with your regular routine. You may have a rec centre in your area that has a drop-in schedule so you can try a few new things and see what works for you
    - Hire a trainer, if it's something you can afford. Even going once a week will keep you accountable. It's kind of like having a workout buddy - it's hard to cancel when someone is waiting for you, and for myself, I found it kept me motivated because I wouldn't want to "let down" my trainer by not improving from week to week
    - Check out sites like Tumblr - there are a ton of fitness/weight loss/health blogs, and some of them are really inspiring and have helped me.
  • countrygal2004
    countrygal2004 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those that sent encouraging words. I know I won't post here for help again! I had people PM me trying to sell me challenges, products, coaching, etc. Leave me alone!!!!!
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    Yikes! There should be a way to report people that do that if there is not already.
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would try to stop looking for motivation and start working on making it all a habit. Start out slow, don't force yourself to go for a run or eat perfectly (I know, eye of the beholder). Make a point to walk around the block everyday for the next week and eat a little better. More than likely, you will make it farther than a block or pick it up to a jog. Set another small goal for the following week. Motivation is great, but it fades so quickly....habit will last though...
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been derailed by injuries before, and it is more mental than it is physical, I believe. My last bout with my back injury I was determined to keep moving, even if I couldn't do the level I was getting used to. My thing is walking, so I just slowed it way down and gradually worked my way back to my normal pace. Don't settle for that defeated feeling, dust yourself off and get back on that path to wellness! Also, therapeutic massage has really helped me recover from injury. I go once a month to keep the toxins from settling in to my prone areas. All the best to you!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise you love. I tend to pick hobbies that are active, that way I'm having fun and getting a work out at the same time. Aerial circus arts are my big one right now, but I also like to mountain bike and belly dance, and hike.

Injuries stink, but there are other exercises you can do besides running. Also, weight loss can happen without exercise.