When no cardio day is not an option

Options
I've been reading here that people are not recommending doing cardio every day and instead mixing in some weight training. This makes complete sense, and I do plan on beginning so strength training in the future. However, for my lifestyle, no cardio days are not an option - I have a very energetic 4 year old pup that requires two 30 minute walks a day. I feel like this is a stupid question, but can I combine strength training and cardio on the same days?

Thanks!

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can most definitely walk your dog and do strength training in the same day.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can most definitely walk your dog and do strength training in the same day.

If you're walking my dogs, you're really doing both at the same time.
  • aprilrunswithmolly
    Options

Yup.

Can also curl your pup!!!

Ha! I'm not sure she'd enjoy that.

Thanks!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I think what they really mean is having 1-2 hour long cardio sessions, on top of weight lifting. That would be exhausting and probably counter-productive. I have seen quite a few people here that do HIIT on their lifting days for about 20-30 minutes so walking a dog sounds fine.
  • aprilrunswithmolly
    Options

If you're walking my dogs, you're really doing both at the same time.

I guess that works! Mine is pretty good on a leash - until she sees a squirrel, and then it's no holds barred.
  • aprilrunswithmolly
    Options
    Thanks OdesAngels - your avatar cracks me up.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks OdesAngels - your avatar cracks me up.

:flowerforyou:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Certainly do both. Usually when we talk about not doing cardio every day it's referring to long runs or intense cycling, not dog walking. And some people do long runs and then do weight training in the same day.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Yup.

Can also curl your pup!!!

If you curl my 97 pound 14 month old pup, you'd REALLY be doing some strength training! :happy:
  • rdh830
    rdh830 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes you can do both. If you walk your dog twice daily, you can do maybe 3 exercises with low weights and high reps (i.e. 5-10lbs bicep curls, 12-15 count x3; for toning). Don't forget that weighted workouts don't always have to be with actual weights. You can use your body weight as well to do exercises like squats, dips and push-ups. My brother is a trainer and this is some advice that he's given me that I'm starting to use. Hope it works well for you!