Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
I need to make apps for 40 women that meet the following requirements:

1. Finger Food
2. Easy to transport on a long trip :)
3. Vegetarian (seafood and dairy OK)
4. Cold - nothing hot
5. Cheap & Easy... like me. Seriously, though, I don't have much time to throw something together. I'm not looking for gourmet, but good.

The only thing that is a done deal is caprese skewers.

An actual meal will follow, so I don't know to fill people up.

Suggestions?

Replies

• odusgolp
    Options
    No. "My balls" is not an acceptable answer, Bold. I said Vegetarian.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Cheap and easy:

get a big bag of bay carrots from the grocery store. get a couple stalks of celery. chop it all up into sticks. Add a package of hummus.

Bam.

It's not exciting but it's easy and vegetarian and cheap.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    How about a caprese salad and stuffed mushrooms?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It won't be possible to heat it up when you get there?
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
  • Chellody22
    Chellody22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/vegetarian/appetizers/

Found this doing a google search for cold vegetarian appetizers, hope you find something :smile:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My favorite is "travel caprese salad". Essentially, hollow out some roma tomatoes (I just use a spoon to remove the ribs/seeds/liquid), cube up some good mozzerella cheese, chop some basil. Layer the cheese and basil in the tomatoes, and then drizzle a balsamic reduction on top (make sure you reduce it enough that it coats the back of a spoon and is sweet to the taste and not bitter).

SO GOOD!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Cheap and easy:

get a big bag of bay carrots from the grocery store. get a couple stalks of celery. chop it all up into sticks. Add a package of hummus.

Bam.

Your store might even have these things already cut up. Mine does. This is a good idea, and maybe some cucumbers, too. And a jar of pickles.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    Cheap and easy:

Bam.

Your store might even have these things already cut up. Mine does. This is a good idea, and maybe some cucumbers, too. And a jar of pickles.

Buying platters of things that are already cut-up are convenient, but they tend to be unnecessarily expensive. Save yourself a buck and chop your own vegetables.
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    We make tortilla wraps:

One block cream cheese
    One small can chopped black olives
    One small can chopped green chiles
    One package ranch dressing

Combine everything and spread on torillas, roll 'em, slice 'em, eat 'em.....they're easy, cheap, and a bonus DELICIOUS!
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    prawns and cocktail sauce
    hummus and pita chips or veggies
    bleu cheese with honey comb with water crackers
    veggie tray with dip
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I slice apples quite thin, spread with goat cheese, sprinkle some dried cranberries and cracked black pepper on top, and add a few green pre-dressed with balsamic vinaigrette. Might be too fussy for you but everyone always loses their minds over it.
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    Cucumber sandwiches. Loaf of bread, 1 package cream cheese, 1 package dry italian dressing, 1-2 cucumbers.
    Mix cream cheese and dressing together.
    Cut 4 small circles out of each piece of bread (about the size of a cucumber slice.
    Spread cream cheese on the circles and top with a cucumber slice, peeled or not peeled, your choice.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    California rolls?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    *hi fives all around*
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Cheap and easy:

Bam.

Jar o' Pickles... Noted.
  • odusgolp
    Options

She said there won't be any oven space. She has two ovens. I have no opinion.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

She said there won't be any oven space. She has two ovens. I have no opinion.
    Well that's crappy. I have the perfect thing but it needs about 10 minutes in the oven.

Boo to her.
  • nathanj73
    Options
    Cheap and easy:

Bam.

You could also add Tabouli, olives, and some fat free feta chesse (but might not be a finger food them).