Whole chicken

Options
barbosa22
barbosa22 Posts: 178 Member
How can I cook a whole chicken? Oven? Crockpot? How long? I need some ideas please

Replies

• batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    As a rough guide 20 minutes cooking time per pound weight plus another 20 minutes in oven at about 180/200 gas mark 5ish. You can cover in foil then take off for last 40 minutes to brown. I like mine with lemon pour juice over then stuff the cavity with a lemon. Is also nice roasted with no dressing. Good luck.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My now favorite is "Beer butt chicken". There are ceramic things you can buy to put the beer in (~$5)....or you can just put a beer can up it's heinder. Keep the neck hole plugged (w/ the neck). Season the bird however you want (I usually just use kosher salt & pepper). Put it on the grill for ~2 hours. Makes the best chicken ever!!!
  • groucherella
    Options
    I like to stuff the chicken with lemon, pepper, and garlic and truss it. I let it cook for about an hour and 20 minutes.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Salt, pepper and rub with olive oil. Place garlic, herbs if you have them and quartered lemons in cavity (you have to take the gizzards out if it has them) Place in roasting pan breast side down and roast 15 mins on 425. Remove - place breast side up and reduce oven to 350. Roast an additional 35-45 mins until juices in thigh run clear. Good luck!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Cookinglight.com
    or buy a cook book.
    :flowerforyou:
  • bbombard
    Options
    I do a beer can chicken. it is great and very healthy way to do it. Cook it on the grill for about 40 minutes or until 165 degrees and you done. I use the Chicken Roaster you can get from target.

http://www.target.com/Kitchen-Aid-Chicken-Roaster/dp/B0030EWJPC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=chicken&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-9&qid=1286902713&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Kitchen Aid Chicken Roaster&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin,price,target_com_primary_color-bin,target_com_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

Season the inside and outide of the chicken. Pour a beer or water or anything into the cup in the middle, slide the chicken over it and then on to the grill. Enjoy!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Like she said...salt, pepper, rub with EVOO and garlic.

A 5 pounder, which is about the norm, will take over an hour...probably more like 1 hour 15 mins. So easy!
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usually buy one that is about 3 to 4 Lbs and stick it in the crock pot at about 1 in the afetrnoon, buy 530 or 6 it is done. I sprinkle some spices on it, depends on what i am feeling like; usually some Mrs Dash, garlic powder, sometimes Cayanne pepper.
  • strongerthanb4
    Options
    sea salt, pepper and if you like ( I do ) garlic salt sprinkeled on top. you can bake it in a pyrex or roaster pan, or you can put it in a cooking bag ( very juicy ) that way. very good stuff!
  • barbosa22
    barbosa22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I heard of some people putting the chicken in the crock pot when frozen. Have u done it this way before?
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I heard of some people putting the chicken in the crock pot when frozen. Have u done it this way before?

I've done all kinds of frozen meats in the crock pot. Chicken is really good and easy as long as you dont miss the browing of the chicken skin.

I sometimes purchase Betty Crocker Crock Pot seasoning mixes and add that. But if I dont have that on hand, I'll just use salt, pepper, garlic & onions [or garlic/onion powder].

Frozen or fresh, I typically leave the chicken in the crock pot for the entire day [10+ hours sometimes] on low. If I'm doing it on a weekend, I'll do 6 hours on high - again, fresh or frozen it turns out the same for me.
  • groucherella
    Options
    I've never cooked a whole chicken that way.