Ok so what is junk food?

Options

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    to me, its anything without any real nutritional value. I consider it junk food.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, focusing on weight loss only. But I like that he stressed it would not work out well long term. He only did it for a month.
    I think it shows if you balance all the information...try and eat healthy, eat whole foods and if you really enjoy those Doritos, or Taco Bell, it is not the end of the world. Both can be enjoyed. That's why I like the book, Eat This Not That. It helps you pick out "healthier" junk food.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    to me, its anything without any real nutritional value. I consider it junk food.
    McDonalds double cheese burger has 22 grams of protein. There is nutritional value right there.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Having become more and more aware of what I eat has brought me to the point where I no longer crave a lot of junk food. I don't need a substitution for it in my life (i.e. I'll eat Skinny Cow instead of Haagen Daz) because I feel soooooo much better on real foods and whole foods.

This is the mentality on this website with a LOT of members that is a pet peeve of mine. I personally feel (and this is only MY opinion) that it is laziness, I have expressed this before and have gotten majorly blasted and flamed for my own personal feelings.

I am not being condescending in the least,nor do I think I am any better than anyone else, just being honest. it makes me feel good that I am doing the right thing for me and my family.

I will enjoy ice cream on occasion, but it will be nothing you can get from a grocery store and won't have all the chemicals in it either.

My ice cream will include Cream straight from a dairy farm (not the pasteurized and homogenized stuff), raw sugar and pure vanilla, made in an old-fashioned hand cranked ice cream maker that was my grandma's.

There are ways to enjoy treats from time to time, but I am a firm believer of going back to our "roots" of what generations before us did. You make it yourself.

I am also a believer that you can have on occasion cookies, cake, pie, ice cream - but it should NOT come out of a store bakery, freezer section or even a restaurant.

We should take the time to make it from scratch. Then you know what is going into it and it is much, much better for you.

The downfall of this nation is the boxed foods (cake mix, hamburger helper, rice a roni, etc), frozen stuff (pizza, stouffers, lean cuisine, etc), boxed and sugary cereals, granola bars, etc………………

I didn't grow up eating the above mentioned stuff - started eating it when I was in my mid 20's and now have stopped. I don't even get the appeal of that crap now and wish I would have never started eating that stuff. I firmly believe that it has contributed to my weight problem that I never had before, the hormonal issues, etc…………...

Just to be clear, what I intended in my post to say, was that I DON'T eat Skinny Cow as a substitute for ice cream, because I find I don't need to find low calorie substitutes for junk food.

I totally agree that processed foods (and especially the OVER processed ones) have contributed greatly to the obesity problem running through our country today.

Whole foods all the way! :flowerforyou:

I knew what you were saying and was agreeing while venting my pet peeve. :flowerforyou:

I was using your quote because that is the mentality of a LOT of people on this website. The whole i will eat cool whip instead of real whipped cream (which seems gross to me) I love REAL whipped cream, unsweetened with a tad bit of pure vanilla whipped in............

And there have been HUGE debates / arguments where people say how many chemicals that products like skinny cow has and boy do people floor them because they are doing something "healthier".................I want to scream from the roof top. "NO YOUR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    McDonalds double cheese burger has 22 grams of protein. There is nutritional value right there.

LOL, true. I love cheese puffs, but I don't eat those, cause there really isn't a good amount of nutrition relative to the calories in those.
  • cardigirl
    Options

I know you don't and I was using your quote because that is the mentality of a LOT of people on this website. I knew what you were saying and was agreeing while venting my pet peeve. :flowerforyou:

It's a pet peeve of mine too. I appreciated your post!
  • binary_jester
    Options

LOL, true. I love cheese puffs, but I don't eat those, cause there really isn't a good amount of nutrition relative to the calories in those.
    Exactly. 22 grams of protein and throw in all the fat and sodium and you might have a different story. I am only guessing, but I think she would say a dbl cheeseburger is junk food. By her definition, it isn't. I dislike blanket statements.
  • Grokette
    Options

In a pinch, I have eaten Mc Donald's double cheeseburgers with no ketchup and no bun.............so I do get my protein requirements. I eat the burger, cheese, onions, pickles and mustard.

I try my best to subscribe to the Paleo form of eating, which some days I forget my lunch at home and have to grab something. I always get a bunless burger and a salad from Mc Donalds or Wendy's.............

Preferrably Wendys as I don't like Mc Donalds salads very fondly...................I keep Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar at work for dressing.

I have to address the fact that I eat a high fat, moderate protein and very low carb eating plan.

This is what addresses my medical issues while allowing me to lose weight and feel GREAT!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I knew what you were saying and was agreeing while venting my pet peeve. :flowerforyou:

I was using your quote because that is the mentality of a LOT of people on this website. The whole i will eat cool whip instead of real whipped cream (which seems gross to me) I love REAL whipped cream, unsweetened with a tad bit of pure vanilla whipped in............

And there have been HUGE debates / arguments where people say how many chemicals that products like skinny cow has and boy do people floor them because they are doing something "healthier".................I want to scream from the roof top. "NO YOUR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Cool Whip has trans fats. I can have real whipped cream for 15 calories a serving and it tastes better. Why wouldn't I choose that? (That sounds like an argument. I was agreeing with you!) :-)

Also, regardless of what *I* eat, what others eat isn't generally my business. I hate the food police.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    ProTFitness - I appreciate the post. I read it as an article - nothing more/nothing less BUT these articles DO help people like me who need that little bit more encouragment to stay on the "straight and narrow" when it comes to eating unprocessed food.

I like junk food as much as the next guy but I DON'T want to continue eating it. Eating it has contributed to me becoming morbidly obese. I want to do away with that so why would I continue eating something, even in moderation, that I know is so horrible for me.

I'm often perplexed by the response of people on this site when something is posted that deals with junk food vs. healthy eating. YES, I could eat junk food and still lose weight but I don't think *I* would be any healthier doing that. But that's just MY opinion and my take on what *I* need to do to change my life.

I really don't understand why people are bashed for posting helpful information. Remember - the information is for EVERYONE - some of us need reminders like this and some of us are just starting our journey and may need to take extremes like cutting out all junk foods or processed foods. Nobody is telling YOU how to eat or what to eat. It's just an article.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    In a pinch, would you consider Amy's Organics meals to be junk food?

Brown Rice & Vegetables Bowl
    INGREDIENTS : NO TRANS FAT � NO ADDED MSG � NO PRESERVATIVES (VEGAN) ORGANIC SHORT GRAIN BROWN RICE, ORGANIC ONIONS, MUSHROOMS, ORGANIC BROCCOLI, ORGANIC CARROTS, ORGANIC TOFU (FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC SOYBEANS, NIGARI [MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, A NATURAL FIRMING AGENT]), ORGANIC SPINACH, ORGANIC CELERY, ORGANIC EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, SPICES*, ORGANIC SESAME TAHINI, ORGANIC APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, SEA SALT, ORGANIC TAMARI (WHEAT FREE), UME PLUM VINEGAR, GRAIN VINEGAR, EXPELLER PRESSED HIGH OLEIC SAFFLOWER OIL, GROUND MUSTARD SEEDS, ORGANIC GARLIC. CONTAINS SOY AND SESAME SEEDS. 100%PURE HERBS AND SPICES. (NO HIDDEN INGREDIENTS).
  • Grokette
    Options
    ProTFitness - I appreciate the post. I read it as an article - nothing more/nothing less BUT these articles DO help people like me who need that little bit more encouragment to stay on the "straight and narrow" when it comes to eating unprocessed food.

I like junk food as much as the next guy but I DON'T want to continue eating it. Eating it has contributed to me becoming morbidly obese. I want to do away with that so why would I continue eating something, even in moderation, that I know is so horrible for me.

I'm often perplexed by the response of people on this site when something is posted that deals with junk food vs. healthy eating. YES, I could eat junk food and still lose weight but I don't think *I* would be any healthier doing that. But that's just MY opinion and my take on what *I* need to do to change my life.

I really don't understand why people are bashed for posting helpful information. Remember - the information is for EVERYONE - some of us need reminders like this and some of us are just starting our journey and may need to take extremes like cutting out all junk foods or processed foods. Nobody is telling YOU how to eat or what to eat. It's just an article.

I think some people get upset because deep inside it forces them to confront their own battle they are fighting and it is easier to sweep it under the rug and act like it doesn't exist.
  • rml_16
    Options

I think some people get upset because deep inside it forces them to confront their own battle they are fighting and it is easier to sweep it under the rug and act like it doesn't exist.

I think people get upset because they're thinking adults and they don't like to be scolded.
  • Grokette
    Options
    In a pinch, would you consider Amy's Organics meals to be junk food?

Brown Rice & Vegetables Bowl
    INGREDIENTS : NO TRANS FAT � NO ADDED MSG � NO PRESERVATIVES (VEGAN) ORGANIC SHORT GRAIN BROWN RICE, ORGANIC ONIONS, MUSHROOMS, ORGANIC BROCCOLI, ORGANIC CARROTS, ORGANIC TOFU (FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC SOYBEANS, NIGARI [MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, A NATURAL FIRMING AGENT]), ORGANIC SPINACH, ORGANIC CELERY, ORGANIC EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, SPICES*, ORGANIC SESAME TAHINI, ORGANIC APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, SEA SALT, ORGANIC TAMARI (WHEAT FREE), UME PLUM VINEGAR, GRAIN VINEGAR, EXPELLER PRESSED HIGH OLEIC SAFFLOWER OIL, GROUND MUSTARD SEEDS, ORGANIC GARLIC. CONTAINS SOY AND SESAME SEEDS. 100%PURE HERBS AND SPICES. (NO HIDDEN INGREDIENTS).

Maybe for a lot of people this may not be junk food, but anything that comes from the frozen food section has something in it to preserve it so it doesn't go bad fast...........

Me personally, I wouldn't eat it because I no longer eat grains of any kind, I say away from tofu (actually all soy products) due to thyroid issues
  • SP0472
    Options

I think people get upset because they're thinking adults and they don't like to be scolded.

I guess that's where I'm at a loss to understand....IMO there wasn't a scolding. Yes, my back would get up if I was scolded about what I eat. And I do get that from time to time when people hear/read that I'm a low-carber - I find that I have to do a lot of "defending" at times but I don't think I've ever attacked anyone like what I've seen on this website. It's a bit disheartening sometimes when you're looking for support and info and all you read are nasty comments back and forth [and I'm not talking about anyone in particular, I'm new so I won't remember who said what about whatever...].
  • rml_16
    Options
    SPO, I think posting an article saying people are "stupid" for eating junk every once in a while is scolding, even if they weren't the poster's own words.

I see a lot of people on this board very concerned with how others eat.
  • SP0472
    Options
    SPO, I think posting an article saying people are "stupid" for eating junk every once in a while is scolding, even if they weren't the poster's own words.

I didn't interpret the article in that way so we read it very differently.

I agree with you 100% that some people on this board are a bit too concerned about how/what others eat [and wanting to see other's diaries] and some are just too adamant about telling people what/how to eat. But I try and take all of that with a grain of salt and hope that people do that with the intention of helping others.

I think we all need to understand that not everything will work for every body and we all have different ways of losing weight. For some, eating junk food in moderation will work. For me...definitely not. But that doesn't mean everyone has to follow my plan and it shouldn't mean that ideas can't be shared.
  • cardigirl
    Options

Well, sometimes, or even most of the time, the information is offered in the spirit of sharing what we have learned along the way, not as a scolding and I do appreciate learning from people who have had success and who have studied nutrition, weight loss, fitness.

I do think people get unnecessarily defensive about what they choose to eat. It can be a bit deflating to find out that something you thought was a great "diet" food, is really not anything worth spending the money on. So I think there is a lashing out there.

And at times it almost seems to fall along political lines as to what people become offended at.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'll ask to see someone's diary if that person has asked a question that requires me to see what he or she is eating in order to give an adequate answer. And I'm OK with people offering advice and personal experience.

It's the, "I eat X way and it's the only way and if you eat X kind of food, you're unhealthy and a loser."

I see that here a lot. Posting an article calling people lazy for eating a certain way is, well, judgmental.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I could not have come across this article at a more perfect time.

Junk Food: The New Weight Loss Diet?

Losing a double-digit chunk of weight in one month was a piece of cake for Mark Haub. On August 25, the Kansas State University professor of nutrition began a 10-year-old's dream diet of Twinkies, Ho Hos, and brownies for each meal. Thirty days later and 15 pounds lighter, Haub not only feels great, but his bad cholesterol is down, his good cholesterol is up, and his blood pressure is fine. But while he is pleased about his new, trimmer self, that's not the reason he switched to junk food. He wanted his students to see for themselves that any diet can produce weight loss­—and if accomplished with a menu all but guaranteed to wreak havoc, then weight shouldn't be the sole standard for good health.

"I'm losing weight and my cholesterol is improving by eating those foods. Is it really soda and chips that are making people obese, or how much of them they eat?"

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/diabetes/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100264421

Take with a grain of salt.

This was a really interesting article!
    Personally I have lost weight with doing nothing else but introduce portion control. Only later have I began changing my diet to include more fruits and vegetables, etc. I have to note, though, that I have never been a great junk food eater.

I agree that people seem to be way too obsessed about weight and losing it to the point of negligence towards their own health. Why are we always talking about losing weight (preferably as fast as possible), getting slim, or dieting instead of getting rid of excess fat (losing weight and losing fat aren't the same thing!) and building a stronger body.

I have always thought the goal to be being strong and fit but the adjectives that you most often see used on these forums like 'slim', or 'thin, or even 'lean', sound anything but! I'm thinking of my former flat mate who only drank cola and ate fast food. The guy was about 180cm tall and couldn't weight much more than 50kg! :noway: He was thin but there is no way I'd ever describe him as healthy!

What ARE our goals, I wonder..