PCOS, low carb but less calories

Options
I have been diagnosed with PCOS last week and MFP pals suggested me to avoid carbs or be on low carbs...but my carbs are usually reaching till 150g a day which is from fruits, breads and vegetables.

My problem is in order to avoid carbs, my calories intake is always around 600-800kcal. So, what should i do to consume more calories with low carbs ???

Replies

• kelbax22
    kelbax22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Do you eat meat?

I just started low carb/ low sugar because I found out I also have PCOS. I want to be healthier to conceive our first child so I decided to change my diet.

I eat about 1300 calories a day and around 60-70 carbs. I eat eggs for breakfast, a meat and salad for lunch, a meat and veggies for dinner. Snacks I have are almonds, string cheese, or ham and cheese rolled up in lettuce. According to Myfitnesspal, I will lose about 1.5 lbs a week with this diet.

I do plan on starting to work out, when I do that I will up my calories to about 1700 on the days I work out and I will burn around 400 cals to net the 1300 cals a day.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You could look at the glycemic index of the carbs you like and see if they are low enough GI. I personally think that low-GI carbs are fine and great to eat. They are usually whole grain or most fruits or veggies, etc. They don't mess with the insulin system like high-GI carbs do.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything that is low fat or considered a diet food. This will bump your fat up and fat has 9 cals/g as apposed to 4 cal/g for carbs and protein. Right now I am around 75 carbs per day (or trying to be...I am pregnant suddenly and still trying to work this out) and eating around 1600-1800 cals per day.

Red meats, nuts, avocados, nut butters, full fat cheeses, full fat dressings with little or no sugar (i.e. ranch dressing or blue cheese), are all really good options!
  • ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Do you eat meat?

I just started low carb/ low sugar because I found out I also have PCOS. I want to be healthier to conceive our first child so I decided to change my diet.

I eat about 1300 calories a day and around 60-70 carbs. I eat eggs for breakfast, a meat and salad for lunch, a meat and veggies for dinner. Snacks I have are almonds, string cheese, or ham and cheese rolled up in lettuce. According to Myfitnesspal, I will lose about 1.5 lbs a week with this diet.

I do plan on starting to work out, when I do that I will up my calories to about 1700 on the days I work out and I will burn around 400 cals to net the 1300 cals a day.

Hey thanks...have gone through your diary and ur carb intake is really low and i can get guidance from your diary regarding food choices :)

Btw i am 137lbs with height 5'6'' and even after 4 days i haven't lost a single pound :(
  • clhandwerk
    clhandwerk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    exactly what cafeaulait7 said, if you are going to eat carbs in your diet they have to be low GI foods, low glycemic index foods. lean meats, and be careful with fruits At least those are healthy sugars but still, you have to watch them. Better to eat veggies then fruits. And its better to keep your carbs at ur snack times, as opposed to eating them like with all your meals. Eating lean meats and veggies with healthy snacks in between is what will help you.
  • kelbax22
    kelbax22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am eating low carb and low sugar. My calories have been low the last 2 days because I haven't been that hungry and not working out much.

I would say since your weight is already a healthy weight for your height, you should probably try to weigh in once every other week so you don't get discouraged. You may only lose half a lb a week because you are already a healthy weight and you don't have much to lose.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My problem is in order to avoid carbs, my calories intake is always around 600-800kcal. So, what should i do to consume more calories with low carbs ???

Eat foods that are rich in fats, moderate in protein and low in carbohydrate.

Eggs, avocado, nuts, fish, meat, cheese, cream.