What do you do when your self esteem is in the toilet?

lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
edited September 22 in Motivation and Support
Normally I have great self-esteem...I know who I am, I know who I want to become. But lately my esteem is in the toilet. It's causing my motivation to go down the drain too...what do you do if you get no support, or mean comments?

Replies

• Szycuez
    Szycuez Posts: 28
    you just have to look in the mirror and say I am beautiful inside and out. I am doing this for me. I will make this life chage for me and only me. I have learned that you have to motivate yourself in every way. Give yourself a good kick in the butt sometimes and get up and exercise. :flowerforyou:
  • summerjoy0621
    summerjoy0621 Posts: 29 Member
    Brush it off and move on! Don't let anyone bring you down from wanting better for your self! I understand not feeling up to par all the time though. I have been having one of those weeks where I just want to give up and go back to what I am used to, but I refuse for my life to be like this much longer. Just hold your chin high and know you are better for what you do. Not for what people say! :wink:
  • For me, self worth/esteem is a work in progress. learning to love yourself no matter what size/shape is hard and I just try and take it day by day.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    You reach out to all of us here and we will support you!!! You are a beautiful person and are worth all the effort you put into things!
    Keep smiling and keep your head held high! You can achieve all your dreams if you don't give up!
    Good luck and remember you are worth it! :flowerforyou:
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Normally I have great self-esteem...I know who I am, I know who I want to become. But lately my esteem is in the toilet. It's causing my motivation to go down the drain too...what do you do if you get no support, or mean comments?

I would flush the toilet :laugh:

Seriously though...sometimes I try for a self-esteem "reset". Kind of like a mental start-over, I pretend like my goals are new, my motivation is new, my approach is new, etc. Sometimes this kicks things back into gear. Other times I go work out or run till I drop and am too tired to doubt myself!

Hang in there, we all go through it, we're pulling for you! :flowerforyou:
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Personally speaking... sometimes people don't necessarily intend to BE mean... they intend to be supportive and helpful, even have a desire to be so. Sometimes, personally speaking, people don't have time to think about what is typed until it has been posted and can't be retrieved to be worded in a more supportive, socially acceptable way. Once it's out there, it's difficult to back pedal to explain what you really mean... personally speaking.... sometimes people don't think they are being unsupportive in what they say. And sometimes... personally speaking, people don't walk on eggshells very well just feel it's best to say what is on their mind because it's all they know how to do.

I feel weight loss is a personal journey, some people are ok with it being public and some people are not. My journey online is public... by my real life journey is private and solo. ::shurg:: Be you, and know you are doing everything you can to make your goals come to fruition. The scale moves quickly for some and for others is super slow; we may never know the true reason for this aside from: we are all different. Some choose a route we might choose for ourselves: like surgery, diet pills, "fad" diets, etc...

Keep your head up... you are a beautiful woman, show it off. :)

HTH...
  • Katy213
    Katy213 Posts: 45
    If people are nasty enough to make mean comments just remember that you are a better person than they are!! You can show them all, go out and do it! You look fab by the way and as the last poster said, come on here and you will always get lots of support and motivation. Go for it girl! :smile:
  • So_Um_Yeah
    So_Um_Yeah Posts: 39 Member
    As a person with very low self-esteem, I totally understand this. You are lucky that it’s just a phase thing for you, and because you said it’s normally very high, I think you just have to focus even harder on what you want, and hopefully you will eventually be out of your slump.

Sometimes you have to take things in stride. You just have to think to yourself that maybe a person didn't say something to be mean or destructive; they just have a more abrasive nature than you do or than you’re used to. This doesn't always work, but it can be helpful when trying to get over stuff.

As for getting no support, you just have to find people who will support you. That is one thing about this web site. For every mean-spirited person, you can find ten more that only want to see you succeed, myself included :smile:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    It helps to reflect on the things you have accomplished to date. My trainer once had me make an entire list of everything I'd ever accomplished in my life. Even things like learning how to count from watching Sesame Street. If you are feeling like it's not worth it anymore to even try, think of the alternative. If you start gaining weight from eating too much because you're trying to comfort yourself, you're going to push yourself down into the hole even further.

Sometimes when I can't seem to pull myself out of a bad mood, I will do an intense cardio workout for about an hour. I used to do it by having a Big Mac feast at McD's, but that only gave me pleasure for about 10 min.

The biggest piece of advice: stop comparing yourself to others. You and your journey are unique, and things will happen in your unique time frame, not someone else's.
  • lilRicki
    thanx guys, you're right...i have to get the support from myself...i've always had a problem with needing outside recognition...but this time it's going to come from inside...and of course MFP...geez you guys are awesome...
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    What works for me (and I emphasize...for ME), is to stare at myself in the mirror(usually starting off with a sulk)...and truly look into my own eyes until I start to smile. Then I "pull on my big girl panties" and go get some exercise!
  • stressd1mom
    stressd1mom Posts: 151 Member
    I had this exact issue last week. It was a very dark, sad time. I had so many words of encouragement & kind thoughts, it was enough to refuel me. I know (first hand) that you might not get the support or kind words you think that you should from those close to you, sometimes you get the exact opposite. That is why MFP is so wonderful, we all have the same goals, struggles, stories to share. We are all here for you!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    DEAR LORD WOMAN!!! Have you LOOKED under the seat in that toilet?!?!?! GET YOUR SELF ESTEEM OUT OF THERE BEFORE IT TOUCHES SOMETHING!!!!!!! You can NOT bleach self esteem and if it's in there too long it's going to get stained!!! GO! NOW!!!!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    What works for me (and I emphasize...for ME), is to stare at myself in the mirror(usually starting off with a sulk)...and truly look into my own eyes until I start to smile. Then I "pull on my big girl panties" and go get some exercise!

My big girl panties are stuck up my butt
  • think like a Sagittarius and just let negativity rolllll right off you.

now, that being said, even being a Sag myself i have low self esteem days and i used to have them all the time (read: every single day). but sometimes you just gotta look yourself in the mirror and say "i am awesome, no one else can tell me otherwise. they dont know me, and i know me. i am the awesomest!"

try doing this just in your head when people are negative around you, eventually you'll get better at ignoring people.
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    My big girl panties are stuck up my butt

rotflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    DEAR LORD WOMAN!!! Have you LOOKED under the seat in that toilet?!?!?! GET YOUR SELF ESTEEM OUT OF THERE BEFORE IT TOUCHES SOMETHING!!!!!!! You can NOT bleach self esteem and if it's in there too long it's going to get stained!!! GO! NOW!!!!

LMAO....thank you for that!
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    [/quote]
    "My big girl panties are stuck up my butt"
    [/quote]

Hilarious!!! Almost laughed out loud in a very quiet office :laugh:
  • lilRicki

i F'ing love you...gawd you make me laugh
  • lilRicki
    mlh i did laugh out loud in a very quiet office...i just explain to them that there's something wrong with her lol:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.