Need some advice and encouragement.

Options
Hi guys I started going to the gym on 4/09/13. At this time my weight was 364lbs. I started MFP in early July. I currently weigh 308lbs. I am very happy with my progress but for the last 2 weeks the scale isn't moving down it fluctuates between 310 and 308. I have been going to the gym and staying within my caloric count even when I'm not eating clean. Im just beginning to get so disappointed because getting back into the 200s is my first mini goal and its taking forever to get there. Please I need some encouragement and if any of you have time, please take a look at my diary and give me some advice. Im having a hard time with my sodium intake. Also with the weight loss I feel.my stomach isnt moving.

Replies

• Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Wow congratz on the weight loss. YOu might have hit a plateu i think. You need to change up your routine a little - do squats, sit ups, cardio, weights, mix it up so your body is caught off guard.

All the best!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Be patient, as you know, weight loss isn't linear. As for the sodium, *shrugs* sure you've had a few high days, but it won't affect your actual weight loss, just maybe cause temporary water retention. What I would be more concerned with is the quick added foods. It's better to take the time and log everything properly and weigh all your food on a digital scale so that you can be sure you're getting adequate protein, fats, fiber and micronutrients. These are both excellent reads:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Most likely you have hit a plateau. The best thing is to change things up but stay within your calorie limit. I find plateaus extremely hard to live through and still stay with my goals - but I have finally learned to keep control (it has only taken me 75 years!). My example - for the past 3 months I have only lost 3 pounds - but at least I didn't gain 3! Try to change the type of exercises you are doing , make sure you are drinking water, and keep up your calorie control. You've done well so far and you sure don't want to gain any of that back - so don't get discouraged! I guarantee you it is easier at 44 than 76! Look at a graph showing what your weight loss looks like so far and celebrate that! Then have lots and lots of patience while your body adjusts to this new weight and then eventually starts losing again! Good luck!
  • Prettypedalpower
    Options
    Hi there I had a similar amount of weight to lose as you... Ive lost alot of weight but still need to lose 120llb sodium is easier to control if you cook from fresh. Its in alot of pre packed meals. As for where the weight goes from its usually the extremities first. Sadly..I hate my belly too but know it will go eventually..keep on it your doing so well
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    Wow congratz on the weight loss. YOu might have hit a plateu i think. You need to change up your routine a little - do squats, sit ups, cardio, weights, mix it up so your body is caught off guard.

All the best!

Yes I agree with this maybe change your routine and make sure you are keeping your water intake up
  • AlyssaNewtons
    Options
    Your doing a great job! Once I added my shakes my weight continues to drop dailey I ordered the transformation kit !
  • jenniferjeanne84
    jenniferjeanne84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are doing great!
    But I am going to suggest that you work on making your logging as perfect as possible.. it seems like you're not logging everything (like cooking oils and extras) and seems like there is just missing food in general. Are you weighing and measuring everything?

Also I seen a day of 1000cal exercise burn.. how are you getting this number?

I'm thinking you may be eating more than you think you are causing you to stall out where you are.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think you need more balanced meals. Stop skipping and then eating more once you do eat. Either six small meals, or three larger healthy meals. Drink lots of water too!
  • sexxy_dee
    sexxy_dee Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Be patient, as you know, weight loss isn't linear. As for the sodium, *shrugs* sure you've had a few high days, but it won't affect your actual weight loss, just maybe cause temporary water retention. What I would be more concerned with is the quick added foods. It's better to take the time and log everything properly and weigh all your food on a digital scale so that you can be sure you're getting adequate protein, fats, fiber and micronutrients. These are both excellent reads:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • sexxy_dee
    Options
    Yes you are right I dont have a scale to actually weigh the food thats why I eat a lot of pre -packaged food with the calories already calculated. I will invest in the food scale. Thank you.
  • sexxy_dee
    Options
    You are doing great!
    But I am going to suggest that you work on making your logging as perfect as possible.. it seems like you're not logging everything (like cooking oils and extras) and seems like there is just missing food in general. Are you weighing and measuring everything?

Also I seen a day of 1000cal exercise burn.. how are you getting this number?

I'm thinking you may be eating more than you think you are causing you to stall out where you are.
  • sexxy_dee
    Options
    Im actually not weighing the food. I look at the mfp values and use those. As for the calories burned, when I use the machines and input weight, age and time, after the exercise is complete, it gives you the amount of calories burned. Actually mfp gives more calories burned for the exercise however I use the value from the machines. I will definitely log better. Thank you.
  • sexxy_dee
    Options
    I think you need more balanced meals. Stop skipping and then eating more once you do eat. Either six small meals, or three larger healthy meals. Drink lots of water too!
  • sexxy_dee
    Options
    Yeah you are right I tend to do that its because of my work schedule. I work over night from there I go straight to the gym, get home, eat something and then I sleep for a few hours hence no time to eat. I will definitely try to eat more balanced and frequent meals. Thank you.
  • sexxy_dee
    Options
    Most likely you have hit a plateau. The best thing is to change things up but stay within your calorie limit. I find plateaus extremely hard to live through and still stay with my goals - but I have finally learned to keep control (it has only taken me 75 years!). My example - for the past 3 months I have only lost 3 pounds - but at least I didn't gain 3! Try to change the type of exercises you are doing , make sure you are drinking water, and keep up your calorie control. You've done well so far and you sure don't want to gain any of that back - so don't get discouraged! I guarantee you it is easier at 44 than 76! Look at a graph showing what your weight loss looks like so far and celebrate that! Then have lots and lots of patience while your body adjusts to this new weight and then eventually starts losing again! Good luck!
  • sexxy_dee
    Options
    Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Thats a great way to look at it when one reaches a plateau at least there wasnt a weight gain. I will take everything in stride thanks a lot feeling better already.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice on the weight loss part of things, but I would suggest having more mini goals. Having your first mini goal at alas of 160+ pounds seems very overwhelming to me. Maybe have one at 50, 100, 150 to keep you encouraged? I'm also attaching rewards to my weight loss- so close to getting my pedicure! Anyways, just a thought to help you stay motivated. Congrats on your loss so far!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!! :-) your doing great!! Like everyone said, weigh your food, measure everything, switch up your workouts, and you'll be fine! :-) you can add me as a friend, I'm on every day :-)
  • adoudster
    Options
    Wow! Look how far you have come! You are an inspiration! Are you eating a good breakfast? Be sure you never skip that meal. It helps me to plan my meals each week and then do my grocery shopping from that list. It helps keep me from being too impulsive, I am not one to preach motivation, because I just ate ice cream last night, but today I am right back on plan.
    Good luck to you! You are a lovely woman!