• iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Warm up @ a 3.4, Run @ 5.5, Walk @ 3.8, Cool Down 3.2
    No incline
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am using 3.5 a brisk walk and 4.5 a slow jog. Once I vpcan get through the entire 10 week program, I'm going to work on increasing my speed.

I've done the program several times. Having never completed. Im on week 5 now and feeling a lot better about it. In addition I'm working my way back through once again doing week 1 starting at. 0 incline and working up to 4 or 5, in .5 increments - I'm at 2 now - to increase my endurance and help with hills/inclines when doing 5ks, which I found to be an issue for me.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    5mph is a 12 minute mile and that is about where I started. It's a comfortable jog. Try it and if it is too easy for you then speed it up on the next workout.
  • okeedokee5
    okeedokee5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I first started C25K, I was going too fast (about 6mph) and was getting burned out really quickly, and wondering why the whole thing wasn't working. A friend of mine told me its ALL ABOUT PACE and to slow it down, and I'd be surprised how long my endurance would last for. I slowed it way down to about 4.8mph (equaling a 12 1/2 minute mile) and my endurance quickly increased. I ran my first 5K race this past weekend, and will now focus on upping my speed AND endurance. I just upped it to 5.1mph (11:45mile) for endurance, with sprints of 6.1mph for 1 minute at a time.

My walking speed is usually around 3.5.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about running 5ks at the end of the c25k program, I suggest you run at least one of the weekly workouts outdoors. You will run a level school track slower than the treadmill speed you may be accustomed to. Then normal 5k routes include hills, temperature, weather, etc, you need to deal with that are not present in the gym. Many 5ks encourage entering weeks prior to the actual race date by offering discount entrance fees.

I am on W8 and running 12 min miles for ~40 min. Starting to add speed intervals into my normal workouts to improve my overall speed.

Good luck!
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    so glad i found this because i've been wondering the same thing! i did w2d1 today, walking at 4mph and jogging at 5.5mph. last week i tried "jogging" at 6mph and i got so out of breath and upset with myself, so this week i decided to go a little slower and it worked much better for me. last week i did the incline at 3 and today i started it at 5 but pushed it down to 3 for the cool down lap. so far, i've gone about 2.25 miles per session. i feel a little embarrassed because that's over 13 minutes for a mile, and i used to be able to run twice the distance in that amount of time. i can't wait to get back to where i used to be!
  • usera1365
    usera1365 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump
  • youmfpnow
    Options
    I was doing 3mph walk and 5mph jog up until week 4 day 2. Now I have to drop it down to 4.5-4.8 to get thru the workout. Might need to go lower to keep my heart rate in the right training zone. No big deal, the pace will get better over time. Dropping 80 more pounds should help :)
  • TosaDana
    Options
    Start off "slow" to set your cadence. You'll know what's comfortable for you, and as you get used to it you'll be able to increase speed.
  • the_scream_queen
    Options
    Agree, just play with different speeds to see what you're comfortable with. I'm a fairly experience distance runner, (mostly halfs, one full) albeit on the slow side, and I walk at 4.2 and run at 5.5. Right now I'm working on speed instead of distance so I'm hoping to increase that running speed to around 6.0.
  • itcanbedone13
    Options
    bump