Hello, I'm new.

Options
Hello. I'm 29 years old, female, and struggling with this whole weight loss thing. I could really use some support. ( I realize maybe some of this might belong in another area of the forum)

I started out at 220 lbs when I was 26. I vowed I would never get that big again. Slowly, over the course of two and a half years, I dropped 58 lbs. I was happy, but somewhere along the line, and especially after starting full time work again, I became less motivated and started to skip workouts. I also ate some stuff I shouldn't have. I was 163 lbs, and now I'm apparently 180? I have no idea how I gained 17 lbs in the space of two (lazy) months. I wonder how that's even possible! Needless to say, I'm frustrated. I've been trying very hard to stick to my workouts, but I keep losing motivation.

I try to remind myself of the dangers of not exercising. I try to remind myself that it is ultimately far harder NOT to work out than to work out, but some days, I just can't get myself going. I'm hoping that being here and talking to others who struggle with the same thing will help me.

My goal is to be 150. I'm a long way from that. Happily, though, I just got back from a run. I like to think I'm heading in the right direction. Still, gaining the weight back is incredibly frustrating and I don't even know how I did that.

So hi! I'm new. I'm glad to be here and hoping for some words of wisdom from those who have been where I am.

Replies

• AlexLittlewood
    AlexLittlewood Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Welcome welcome and good luck with your goals. My only advice would be (and apologies if this is old news) to keep an honest eye on your carbs and fats. I know its easy to let them creep up even though your cals are bang on. Drink lots of water and beware of the hidden sugars in foods masquerading under another name. Try and eat single ingredient foods rather than boxed store ones. You have had incredible results in the past just made (as we all do) some different choices and its crept back. Time to start making the better choices and you'll be rocking and rolling before you know it
    Good luck x
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    hey there you sound like you need some support I wish you all the luck in the world.

With a lot to to loose myself I try to focus on my weekly goals.

Each week I just say by next week I want be X pounds so just 1 pound off feels like a success. Week on week that builds. Even if I plateau for a week I consider the a successful week since i didn't gain any back. myself
  • SpiritedAway84
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • tryingtoworkitoff
    Options
    I realize this should probably go elsewhere...but I was 170 literally a month ago. I haven't been eating THAT much junk. Is it really possible to have packed on 10 pounds that easily? I was still working out twice a week when the weight was coming back on, so I wasn't totally inactive.

Could it be water weight, or bloating, or something? I just wonder how this is possible. It also makes it difficult to track my progress. Is the scale inaccurate? It's frustrating, as you can see.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I realize this should probably go elsewhere...but I was 170 literally a month ago. I haven't been eating THAT much junk. Is it really possible to have packed on 10 pounds that easily? I was still working out twice a week when the weight was coming back on, so I wasn't totally inactive.

Hi! And welcome to MFP, I wish you the best in reaching your goals! It is not always about junk, although that is often a big problem, it can also be about how much food is consumed and the type, then how much is burned off. A few months ago we were on vacation for a little over 2 weeks then after that I did not get back into my routine of exercise and logging my foods, 1 month later I was up by 6 lbs again!
    I find it to be every important to continue to log, continue to eat well and continue to get exercise or the weight comes back. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • tomedog
    tomedog Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Been there done that! I was up to 289 a few years back and lost over 80lbs, and then gained it all back over the course of a couple of years. I have had to really make a positive change in how I eat and exercise every day. I usually walk because it is low impact. The biggest motivator for me is logging my food every single day as I find that if I log every day, it keeps me focused on the goal at hand, which is to be healthy for myself and my family. Stay positive and you will do it!