when to adjust calories

Options
b3st
b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
Male currently gone from 156 to 151.8lbs in 2 weeks , at what point do i lower cals, do i just keep going till weight stalls then adjust.

eating 1650 at the moment

Replies

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Why would you lower your calories? You've lost four pounds in the last two weeks -- that's great!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    An adult male should be eating minimum 1800 calories a day so no, I wouldn't go lower.
  • Nytehunter
    Nytehunter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 1700 calories since june and have lost 47 lbs I'm actually thinking of adding calories because I'm near my goal and want to maintain. I never stalled. Don't think you will stall if you don't starve your self. Its the lack of food stress that causes a stall
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends adjusting every 10 pounds or so if you want to continue the same weight loss rate. About every 10 pounds, check your BMR and TDEE and make sure you're still keeping the deficit you want.
  • b3st
    Options
    I havent lost any weight this week from 151.6 last week my cals have been

my target at when i was 156lbs 3 weeks ago was 1660 i am now 151.6lbs as you can see this week has been a bit up and down.

Should i stick more closely to 1660 all week could this be the reason i havent lost anything this week.
    Or would you lower calorie target?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you will lose and some weeks you won't. There will even be times you gain a 1lb or 2 from water retention etc.

example:
    21oaccp.png
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple weeks, have a day where you eat as little sodium as possible just to check its not affecting you, have a day of complete rest to see if that's not why you're holding on to water either, then drop the cals or up Cardio.
  • b3st
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you will lose and some weeks you won't. There will even be times you gain a 1lb or 2 from water retention etc.

example:
    21oaccp.png

Not if your doing correctly, a minimum should be 0.5-1lbs a week
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

example:
    21oaccp.png

Not if your doing correctly, a minimum should be 0.5-1lbs a week

Considering the lady has lost a bunch of weight I don't think she is having ANY problem doing it correctly. I will second her comment. I can fluctuate 4 lbs in the span of a week due to water and hormones etc.. why not start taking a weekly average of your weight instead of taking the weight you happen to be on that one day? As others have also mentioned men require more calories than a woman of the same general size.Since you only have 10 lbs to lose you are already trying to lose more than is even possible for your size/weight etc.

With 10 lbs to goal you should be aiming for no more than .5lbs/week and with such a small deficit you will need to be dead accurate about your logging and your calories. I would not try to reduce.
  • b3st
    Options
    I weigh myself on the same day in the morning once a week.

My water intake is pretty low about 1 litre as I have a weak bladder.

So should I keep at it until next week and see what weight I am then?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Unless I am mistaken there are 7 days in a week.. so either you don't record your weekends or you didn't include them.. if you don't record on the weekends and you do whatever you want.. your probably eating your deficit away.. and if you exercise and are taller than 5'2 you can eat more and still lose.
  • b3st
    Options

Unless I am mistaken there are 7 days in a week.. so either you don't record your weekends or you didn't include them.. if you don't record on the weekends and you do whatever you want.. your probably eating your deficit away.. and if you exercise and are taller than 5'2 you can eat more and still lose.

Yes sorry, I do log everything this was just an example of my week so far.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on the same day in the morning once a week.

My water intake is pretty low about 1 litre as I have a weak bladder.

So should I keep at it until next week and see what weight I am then?

Do the same but drink more water if you gotta go you gotta go!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    "Hi 23 year old male.

Bf is about 18% i am 155lbs looking to get to sub 12% so around 142lbs is my goal, is 1800 calories a correct target to hit, training x3 a week.

Here are my macros

Calories 1,749 Carbs 66g Fat 78g Protein 187 "

Your profile says you are 35 yrs old.

Unless you are 5'5", your calories sound very low for a young male, and more like an ED.
  • b3st
    Options
    Profile is wrong but don't know how to fix that, I'm 28, you cannot say that 1 set of calories is the correct to eat for everyone, you have to find what works for yourself, also i worked mine out by iifym calculator.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Profile is wrong but don't know how to fix that, I'm 28, you cannot say that 1 set of calories is the correct to eat for everyone, you have to find what works for yourself, also i worked mine out by iifym calculator.

My Home/Settings/Update diet/fitness profile and in the middle of the page change the DOB.

What is your height? I went to scoobie, put you as 5'6", 151lb, 28yrs old, 1-3 hours exercise and for 20% loss it gives me 1820 calories
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/