The Downside to Eating Clean

Options
Hi guys!

First time posting here but I really have to get this off my chest - feeling quite mixed on clean eating. I've been eating clean for about 3 weeks now; I have my green juice everyday and my diet consists of mostly fruits, veggies, nuts, sometimes cheese and olive oil, and very little amounts of refined carbs & meats. I give myself 2-3 "unhealthy" meals during the week because it's related to social eating & eating out; I have nothing against unhealthy foods and I simply wanted to have more of a clean diet to be healthier and feel better about myself. Well, this week I really started noticing the effects of eating "unhealthy" food after a mostly clean diet; I went to eat Souplantation (salad & soup buffet, some pizza) and I felt so nauseous after that meal (!!! I understand that there's probably a lot of fat in the soup and pizza, but I would consider Souplantation a healthy place to eat!) and today I had a hearty bowl of ramen with pork bone soup and was so gassy afterwards & had a not so great of a time on the toilet.

I looked this up and found that when people revert to unhealthy foods after eating such a clean diet, their bodies tend to reject the "junk" food through symptoms of nausea, vomiting, gassiness, etc. I understand that this is your body telling you that the food is no bueno and you should avoid it at all costs. Most people who replied on these forums simply say that for this reason, they avoid junk foods and stay on their 100% clean diet. BUT - what if I don't want to remove "unhealthy" foods from my diet? I love eating clean most of the time, but I want to enjoy my hearty foods once in a while for the occasions of social gatherings, trying new restaurants, etc. I'm a huge foodie and I WORK in the food event industry in LA (a large Asian food event called "626 Night Market," for all your SoCalers) -- part of my job is to host a web show where I interview chefs and taste their foods..... Since our event is just held in the summer and we're on a break now, I decided to improve my diet by eating more clean. But now I fear I won't be able to eat all of these delicious foods (as part of my job, and also for fun or fulfillment) because of their negative effects on my body....

Ugh, for any of you dealing with this issue - do you know of a way to eat a balanced diet that ensures that your body WON'T reject these unhealthy foods? As a real foodie, I still want to be healthy, but I don't want to live a life being afraid of eating delicious foods & trying new cuisines. Where is a good place to start with this?

Thank you all for reading my rant! I'm really sad about this :( Hope some of you can relate!

xx
Aileen

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I think 99.9% of it is in your head...
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It's not in your head. I went to Disney 3 years in a row. The year I went after "eating cleaner" I was sick all week. Had to guzzle Pepto like if was my job. My physical this year says my good cholesterol went up. Bad went down. Still worth it to eat clean. But yes I notice a huge difference.
  • sundaysecrets
    Options
    I would hope so.... hahah. But let me cite another forum on here where many people talk about the downsides to eating unhealthy after eating clean.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1026591-preparing-stomach-for-an-unhealthy-meal-after-eating-clean

I just wanna be able to eat whateva I want! (And still be healthy!)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I would hope so.... hahah. But let me cite another forum on here where many people talk about the downsides to eating unhealthy after eating clean.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1026591-preparing-stomach-for-an-unhealthy-meal-after-eating-clean

So stop using the word clean......
    or dirty
    or bad
    or good
    A person can be healthy and meet all of their nutritional requirements by eating a wide range of foods.
  • sundaysecrets
    Options

or dirty
    or bad
    or good
    A person can be healthy and meet all of their nutritional requirements by eating a wide range of foods.

I mean "eating clean" is a term I learned while reading about this lifestyle but I see what you're saying. Actually after considering, I think I should just eat less fruits & veggies and bring back some refined carbs, meat, and fat into my diet. Eat out more like I used to... eating so healthy doesn't seem as worth it to me in my situation.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I ate "clean" for a year and lost 50 pounds. When I started adding back in a few of the things I loved, I experienced this just a tad bit. What I like about this, is I now know what foods cause gas, which don't settle right, and which foods make me bloated. I think it's a good thing that your body is talking to you now. If I really want something, I KNOW how my body will react, and I take the chance and eat it

. It's okay, it's a good thing. :happy:
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I don't understand, if you eat clean most of the time, but then eat the "bad" stuff several times a week, then that should be the balance right there. Your body is still getting it those few days a week, so I don't know why it would reject it, unless you are eating clean stuff on those days too? Maybe you should gradually increase your carb intake, but only use healthy grains, such as quinoa, flax seed, chia seeds, pasta with this stuff in it...I don't know, I'm not a nutritionist...
  • bincorvati
    Options
    Could it be the gluten?
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options

or dirty
    or bad
    or good

I mean "eating clean" is a term I learned while reading about this lifestyle but I see what you're saying. Actually after considering, I think I should just eat less fruits & veggies and bring back some refined carbs, meat, and fat into my diet. Eat out more like I used to... eating so healthy doesn't seem as worth it to me in my situation.

I agree, just slowly introduce the carbs and meats, but just select the healthier meats and carbs. Whole Foods and Nature's Pantry sells healthy carbs, pastas, and breads, so you don't need to eliminate out of your diet.
  • ashliejones13
    Options
    I don't understand why people think eating meat isn't part of a clean diet.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" doesn't really involve "2-3 unhealthy meals" a week. It's possible to eat out and still eat clean.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

or dirty
    or bad
    or good

What is "unclean" about meats and fats? They are naturally occurring whole foods. The Paleo lifestyle is all about meats and fats. Fat is an essential macro-nutrient...a lack of dietary fat causes all kinds of issues from hormone unbalance to psychological issues and nervous system malfunction. There is absolutely nothing "unclean" about meat at all, no matter how you define "clean eating"...meat is generally a pretty substantial part of pretty much any "clean eating" plan I've ever seen.

Just eat a balanced diet rich in nutrient dense foods...stop labeling foods as good or bad...when people do this, it gets in their head. I eat about 80-90% nutrient rich foods...lots of fruit and veg, lean proteins and healthy fats...but I occasionally indulge in some junk, and I don't get sick...that's why I said it was largely in your head.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I get more gas and stomach issues from eating broccoli and other veggies than I do anything else! lol
  • sundaysecrets
    Options

or dirty
    or bad
    or good

What is "unclean" about meats and fats? They are naturally occurring whole foods. The Paleo lifestyle is all about meats and fats. Fat is an essential macro-nutrient...a lack of dietary fat causes all kinds of issues from hormone unbalance to psychological issues and nervous system malfunction. There is absolutely nothing "unclean" about meat at all, no matter how you define "clean eating"...meat is generally a pretty substantial part of pretty much any "clean eating" plan I've ever seen.

Just eat a balanced diet rich in nutrient dense foods...stop labeling foods as good or bad...when people do this, it gets in their head. I eat about 80-90% nutrient rich foods...lots of fruit and veg, lean proteins and healthy fats...but I occasionally indulge in some junk, and I don't get sick...that's why I said it was largely in your head.

Nothing is "unclean" about meats and fats - I do eat meats & fats in my diet, just not excessive amounts like I used to. I eat a lot of avocados & nuts for their good fats. I should mention that I read the book "The Raw Food Detox" and so a lot of what my definitions of "clean eating" came from there. Never meant to go completely raw obviously, but I just wanted to have more fruits & veggies in my diet. I ate less meat cause I wanted to go more vegetarian (but not completely since I know I'll occasionally eat meat anyway). When I said less, I meant compared to my previous diet - I ate out everyday, lots of glutinous & fatty Asian foods, all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ or all-you-can-eat sushi once every two weeks.
  • sundaysecrets
    Options
    I ate "clean" for a year and lost 50 pounds. When I started adding back in a few of the things I loved, I experienced this just a tad bit. What I like about this, is I now know what foods cause gas, which don't settle right, and which foods make me bloated. I think it's a good thing that your body is talking to you now. If I really want something, I KNOW how my body will react, and I take the chance and eat it

. It's okay, it's a good thing. :happy:

That's a good way of looking at it. :). Guess I'll take the chance when I need to. Thanks!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I think 99.9% of it is in your head...
    ^^
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    when i go back to eating greasy foods, my body gets tummy troubles, so i have to stay away from fast food for the most part. Call it what you will, i cant do it. I have to stick to more salads and things and grilled meat and sandwiches like from Subway, Cosi, or such like that.

I was better with eating more of the fruit during the summer, but lately i've been kinda lazy and not cooking my own food and getting it in the restaurants downstairs for lunch.. i hardly got sick.

Sometimes its hit and miss, but i notice a trend. with me. I think my body is not used to all that grease, and when i put too much of it back in, i have tummy troubles, so much that if im out shopping for the day I dont take the chance of eating fast food coz i need to be real close to a potty!
  • AubieMae
    Options
    When I decided to move toward a healthier diet via juicing of fruits & veggies, I experienced gut problems. I came to realize that my body does best when I eat from the food groups my parents introduced me to as a child: dairy, animal protein, seeds, nuts, fruits, veggies, and grains. Each of my meals contain a protein (animal or beans/rice, dairy or nuts), a serving of fruit & vegetable (fresh or frozen) and a source of grain. My rule of thumb: 95% percent of my diet comes from single ingredient food sources. When I purchase prepared food, it has 3 or less ingredients. It has taken me 2 years to finally find my personal balance. The only thing I am doing differently now? Counting my calories. Best wishes.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I get more gas and stomach issues from eating broccoli and other veggies than I do anything else! lol

+1!
  • amie709
    amie709 Posts: 99
    Options
    I eat slean most all the time and when I have had some junkier foods it is usually with no side effects-no bloating or anything like that BUT I do eat those things in pretty small portions. I did end up with a gallbladder attach back in june from gravy and honestly, I have not had it since and definately don't want to have it again!! Sugary things seem like they are sweeter then they used to be too.