Favourite non-traditional breakfast foods?

Options
I'm not a breakfast eater. Never have been, never will grow to like it. However, I find that having some non-traditional breakfast foods attract me more than toast, eggs, cereal, bleckkkkk! Not that I don't like these foods, it's just that I don't like having them for breakfast.

A few things I do lean towards for breakfast, seeing that I'm essentially forced to have them: homemade veggie soup or veggie pizza. Both of these require some forethought in making beforehand though, and as someone who works a lot of hours, this doesn't always work out to me having these foods available for a quick breakie.

So I'm looking for any tips on things I can make for breakfast that are quick to make and don't rely on the old toast, cereal or smoothies thing. Especially not smoothies....*gag*. Although I do LOVE anything made with oatmeal!

Replies

• YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I often eat the lunch food, just in a bit smaller portions. I don't eat dinner so I'm always hungry for breakfast.

One of my most favorite thing to eat is a cup of tvorog, Greek yogurt or cottage cheese mixed with a cup of cherries. I looooooove it, have been making it for years.

Also love omelets too.
  • junkfoodo
    Options
    I'm a fan of canned white tuna in the morning. I'll throw in some spinach, diced tomato, black pepper, lemon juice, and either a tablespoon of light mayo or some olive oil. It's pretty quick and satisfying!
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I like soup for breakfast since I need protein more than carbs to get started. Canned soup is higher in sodium than I like, but it's quick and satisfying.
  • Flabulousss
    Options
    I just eat whatever I'd normally eat any time of the day.... Or pizza. Pizza's always good. And beer.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Steak.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit lots and lots of fruit lol
  • torysresort
    torysresort Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My fave breakfast of all time... trout and eggs with red onion, prosciutto and gruyere. Lots of protein fuel for the day.
  • couchbunny
    couchbunny Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast right now is an apple, sliced in half with the seeds scooped out and the hollow filled with peanut butter (1 Tbsp each half) and granola (1 Tbsp each half). It's fast, filling, and tasty! Not too hard to eat on the go either.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    A BLT sandwich.
    Peanut butter on apple slices.
    Oatmeal with walnuts or pecans.
    Red beans and rice.
    Trail mix
    Peanuts or almonds.

Go to things I can eat anytime day or night. (I also eat yogurt but assume you wouldn't if you bate smoothies.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    A BLT sandwich.
    Red beans and rice.
    Trail mix
    Peanuts or almonds.

Go to things I can eat anytime day or night. (I also eat yogurt but assume you wouldn't if you bate smoothies.)
  • AnotherOrangeCat
    Options
    If you like veggie pizza, maybe some sort of a veggie omelet would be ok? Or just some vegetables with cheese? Maybe a frozen pack of mixed veggies if you want it fast - so you just dump some in a pan, add an egg or some cheese - and a few minutes later it's ready?
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options
    If you're an oatmeal fan, google over night oatmeal. Fun in a jar, make it the night before in a few minutes, eat on the jars the next few days (cold.) My current fav uses peanut flour, unsweetened vanilla coconut almond milk, chopped dried (not sweetened) banana, rolled oats, stevia, maybe some unsweetened yogurt if there's some around and open. It's like a cold oatmeal custard in the morning.

Also, rice porridge can be a lot of fun (my rice maker even has a setting for it.) Whatever you think that sounds good in a rice porridge can go in it.

Cold soba noodles (can make it the night before) with whatever sauce / accompaniment that sounds good.

Baked oatmeal (also a night before thing, but it's good cold for days.)

If you can roll it up in a tortilla, its good. :) Peanut butter, cheeses, meats, scrambled eggs, whatever. I like 'farmers cheese' and reduced sugar (no artificial sweetner, just less sugar) jams. Protein plus peanut flour mixed in the jelly for the extra protein.
  • redhotfirebird
    Options
    My favorite breakfast right now is an apple, sliced in half with the seeds scooped out and the hollow filled with peanut butter (1 Tbsp each half) and granola (1 Tbsp each half). It's fast, filling, and tasty! Not too hard to eat on the go either.

That would have to be fake PB on my part, since I am allergic to the real thing. ;)
  • redhotfirebird
    Options
    A BLT sandwich.
    Red beans and rice.
    Trail mix
    Peanuts or almonds.

Go to things I can eat anytime day or night. (I also eat yogurt but assume you wouldn't if you bate smoothies.

Yep, I can't eat any kind of nuts at all, due to allergies. And you're right on with the yogurt. It's ok with granola in it, but it's not a fav of mine.
  • chloecats
    chloecats Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like eating brown rice for breakfast. Eating breakfast foods makes me feel more tired, and no-one needs that in the morning!
  • mwal74
    mwal74 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Salad! I could (and sometimes do) eat salad for every meal. I just mix it up occasionally by adding a boiled egg, an apple, nuts, or some other fruit. My morning salad is generally about half the size of my lunch salad.

I think I'm addicted.
  • mwal74
    mwal74 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

^ Sounds amazing! Hubby and I will be trying that very soon.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I made a Mexican lentil dish with beans, yams, onions, tomatoes, hot pepper and tofu. Great for breakfast, lunch and dinner! You can throw it in a wrap, on a salad or on rice/quinoa too.

As for oatmeal, you can always try making a savory oatmeal in the morning if you're not big on sweet foods.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Chicken wraps
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Salmon, cold leftover pizza, or just about any leftovers really.

Then again, I seldom do that because I really, really love breakfast food. (but salmon topped with poached egg is totally awesome!)