Considered underweight but have a pooch

Options
13»

Replies

• Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you are underweight and have a dog, the simple answer is you don't have enough LBM (lean body mass aka muscle).

Weight counts for nothing when what it's comprised of is a high ratio of bf>LBM

Lift weights like other people suggested, and the balance will have your pooch return to its dog house and not spend so much time out in the yard where it's noticible. Diet is very important going forward to utilize how fast you will achieve the results you desire.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Youtube - Jillian Michael's 6 pack in 6 weeks.

Plus, eat more protein and fats - nuts, seeds, avocados (although I prefer butter, bacon and coconut oil).

Been doing it a couple of weeks and for the first time in my life getting proper abs. :wink:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I suspect you've done this on a VLCD? In any case, this is the result of sustained undereating. You have two options:

1) continue to undereat until your belly catches up, you'll experience all manner of health issues along the way but it's possible to remove all fat - I see this with cancer patients undergoing chemo.
    2) eat more food, eat more protein, start strength training to build muscle which will result in a more healthy physique.

I know which option I prefer. If (2) is your choice, MFP is the right place for advice and support. :)

As for your current location, presumably you're only there for a couple of weeks? I'd just enjoy the food as 2 weeks is nothing in the greater scheme of things. Food is part of the culture of wherever you are so you should enjoy it. Walking to offset the cals is a good idea but you'll be doing that anyway. Then go back home and start anew.

There was no need for point 1 at all.

You're right but cancer is a big part of my life at the moment so I tend to talk about it a lot.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I think it is perfectly acceptable to have a pooch--I have two--big labby dogs! So go ahead keep the pooch!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Huh. I find it amusing that it's been women who have suggested that your little belly pooch is likely a temporary condition occurring because of the change in your environment. Could that be EXPERIENCE talking? ;).

Why not reserve your judgement about what to do about your tummy (if anything) until you get home?
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    Belly pooch = High BF%
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more and get involved in some form of strength training. Pilates isn't enough to up your lean mass. What you are experiencing is very common with chronic undereaters.

When I was 17, I weighed 106 pounds at 170 cm, and I had a rounded belly even though my hip bones protruded. I look at photos of me when I was 16 and a track runner/sprinter, and I had a good bit of muscle on my body, even at 120 pounds. By the time I was 17, I looked almost sickly and had cellulite. Undereating did a lot of damage to me in one short year.

You need to eat more and strength train.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I do not seem to have a high bf% either because I am so bony that people have asked me before whether I am anorexic

At 52kg and that height, you'd be unlikely to have a high LBM%
    If people think you look bony and skinny, then your BF% probably is high, it's the lack of lean mass that's giving that look, not the lack of body fat.
    If you look around at all the women on here who have low BF% they all weigh a lot more than you do

If you like the way you look then awesome, but don't go kidding yourself that slim = low BF
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I think you need to see a Dr. Many of your threads have shown that you have disordered thinking when it comes to food.

best of luck.
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I do not seem to have a high bf% either because I am so bony that people have asked me before whether I am anorexic

At 52kg and that height, you'd be unlikely to have a high LBM%
    If people think you look bony and skinny, then your BF% probably is high, it's the lack of lean mass that's giving that look, not the lack of body fat.
    If you look around at all the women on here who have low BF% they all weigh a lot more than you do

If you like the way you look then awesome, but don't go kidding yourself that slim = low BF

Well In general you are probably right and I should continue to work on my LBM, but my bf% is between 17 and 19%, depending on the method I use to determine it, so I don`t think that that is necessarily a high number..
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I think you need to see a Dr. Many of your threads have shown that you have disordered thinking when it comes to food.

best of luck.

I agree that you need to see someone about your relationship towards food and your body. Your posts make me suspect you're unwell. :flowerforyou:
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread. I am not quite as thin but I have a similar issue; I'm 37, 5'7" (171 cm) and got down to 128 lbs and still have a pouch. For me part of it is "twin skin" from carrying twins to full-term a few years ago (my skin is permanently stretched out/wrinkly in that area) but it's been frustrating to still have belly flab even after working so hard to lose weight and get down to a weight I haven't been in almost 20 years. I have been running since January and am now doing Jillian Michael's 6 Week Six-Pack that pp mentioned. Haven't been doing it long enough yet to see results but hoping it helps! Part of it is probably also genetics since most of my family seems to have a bit of a belly even when they're slim, and my body is not at all prone to building muscle so my bf% might be high relative to my BMI. It sounds like yours is in a healthy range but I agree with the others that it's worth seeing a dr about your under-eating and general health.