NROL for Women...simple workout question

I just read the book New Rules of Lifting for Women and decided to start the workout. I am new to lifting, so I don't have a good understanding of how to read the charts (even if they are explained, I feel like something is missing). In stage 1, I do not understand "workouts 1,2,3,4...". Why are there 8 workouts for each exercise? I know this may be a silly question, but I am just confused :)))) I appreciate all your answers!

Replies

• ba502
    ba502 Posts: 54 Member
    I have no answer for you....but just so glad that someone else is having the same issue as me. I've been wanting to start lifting, got this book and have no idea how to start!!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    There's a NROL4W group here on MFP - please join us!

Now- to answer your question- in Stage 1 you do each workout one time. So, (sorry I don't have the book in front of me - but I just redid stage 1 workout 1 yesterday so I should be close), you start out by doing the recommended number of squats. Do the warmup set first- about 6-8 reps of a low weight, maybe just with the barbell empty? Then you do two sets of 15 reps of whatever weight you can do 15 reps. Next you move to the second and third exercises of workout one- doing them alternating, the same way, warmup first, then 2 sets of 15 reps (I think), then the other two alternating exercises.

Tomorrow you rest. Next day, you do the opposite workout. Then rest day. Then back to first exercise series, but workout 2. Got it? if not message me and I will get the book out. LOL.
  • kathleennf
    Oh but don't feel bad- it's a bit confusing. And right when you get it down, you switch stages and it changes. :laugh:
    But that keeps it fun.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Now it makes sense...I didn't know where they got 16 workouts from! So just 5 exercises every workout? It seems like not enough. I guess I will feel it when I add more weight. How do I join the group?
  • kathleennf
    Go here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

The Stage 1 workouts are short. But don't worry- they get longer! Yeah a lot of us felt that we were not doing very much in the beginning...