The fiber of my being

Options
Hope the title caught your attention. I'm sure this has been asked before but with oodles of pages to search through and a smart phone that is not too bright at all, I decided to ask it so I know where to look later.

Ok, I have noticed I don't get my daily allotment of fiber. I have the fiber bars but eat them sparingly as when I eat one I almost always feel bloated and constipated. I have tried the fiber pills but I get a little confused on what type to buy and they end up giving me cramps. I've tried Metamucil and benefiber and the same thing happens with the cramping and the gas. What foods can I eat that won't cause these symptoms but may help me reach my goal?

Replies

• allie_rat
    allie_rat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If I eat plenty of fruit or veg, wholemeal rather than white foods and beans then I have no problem at all reaching my fiber goals.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    They out of season right now (sad face), but artichokes are a GREAT source of fiber. Broccoli and turnips are great for veggies and very versatile, and I always like to keep some apples and pears around for fruit. I know that raspberries and bananas are great as well, but they always go bad on me. Apples and pears are tough fruits! Also, dried fruits have a good amount. I like to add them to oatmeal (another great source) for breakfast. You could also sprinkle some seeds in there for more fiber (seeds and almonds have a lot of fiber too). Then there are things like whole grain breads, pasta, and cereal. When I started focusing on my fiber, I was a little bloated for about 3-4 days, and then everything evened out. And I definitely have a better time with foods rather than the supplement types of fiber.

Oh wait! It's almost mid-fall. Artichokes have a few weeks around October when they're cheap again! Get some if you see them! I know they're the most available in Spring/Summer, but still. Keep an eye out!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables (even the soft ones like bananas) tend to have a lot of fiber.

I'm big on this smoothie right now: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-smoothie

14 grams of fiber for the two servings (one large glass), which comes from the pumpkin and banana. Delish.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Some people get symptoms of IBS when they get too much fibre, with "too much" being an amount that would be normal for another person. Not everyone needs the same amount.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If I eat plenty of fruit or veg, wholemeal rather than white foods and beans then I have no problem at all reaching my fiber goals.

This ^^
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Spinach and broccoli are high in fiber.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If fiber bars (not sure what kind you're eating) make you feel bloated and constipated (and, let me guess, I'm not shy - they give you the most toxic gas anyone has ever smelled?), then I highly recommend reading labels and avoiding anything with inulin, chicory root or chicory root extract. That stuff is an additive to increase the fiber content in many of those "high fiber" bars and cereals, and it does an absolute number on a lot of people's intestines. It used to happen to me, and I was on a regular basis eating 30-35g of fiber or more in a day at that time (with or without the bars), so for me it was definitely not just an increase in fiber but the TYPE of fiber itself.

If you're getting your recommended servings of fruits and vegetables and making "whole grain" choices instead of white carbs as often as possible, and you include a serving of beans or something here and there, and you don't feel intestinal symptoms normally, and you have acceptable cholesterol levels, then you should be absolutely fine, fiber-wise. Don't stress too much on the number, focus on how you feel. Fiber is one of those where its effects can be a bit different for everyone, so the "recommendation" isn't always necessarily right for everyone.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i have no problem getting enough fiber without any supplements. like others have said, switch out anything white (bread, rice, wraps, etc) for whole wheat and eat your veggies. i do eat fiber one bars, but not to hit a fiber goal. they are probably better than the supplements if you need an extra fiber boost.

if your body isn't used to getting fiber, yes downstairs will act funny. probiotics are great for both inactivity and over-activity in your digestive system. they are also great for your immune system. having been on them long term, i would just recommend switching up brands every 2-4 months. for me, at least, my body gets used to one and is better if i switch up the brand (which each has their own mix).
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I do have IBS and spastic colon is pretty much a way of life for me. :-/ I will up my fruits and check my labels for chicory. Yes, toxic gas happens and it got to the point where I was humiliated even if nobody else noticed (or at least said anything. I can only eat very small amounts of very well cooked broccoli. I love it raw but know better by now that broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts belong on my no-no list as they all cause me serious intestinal distress. I will try each of your suggestions one at a time and see which works best for me. I agree that too much fiber is as bad as too little and since fiber sometimes isn't listed in a foods description I may be getting more than I think and that adding the fiber bars may have been a bad move. I love them though bars and am equally in love with the new fiber plus protein bars. I think they are so much better for me than eating a snickers bar (okay of course snickers tastes better).
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    I just started eating an awesome lentil vegetable soup at lunch, which is very low in calories and fat, and very high in fibre. I'm over in fibre now. It's going to be a game changer for me. Let me know if you want the recipe.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I try to eat lots of vegetables to get my fiber. Brocolli and hummus are almost a daily consumption for me.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    From webmd:

The Ultimate High-Fiber Grocery List

Fiber is great for a lot of things -- heart health, digestion, and weight loss. And, when you want to lower cholesterol, fiber should be your new best friend. It actually lowers levels of LDL “bad” cholesterol.  

The next time you go shopping, stock up on healthy fiber options in every aisle.

Produce

Fruit
    Fill up with fruits. A medium-size apple, banana, or orange, and 1 cup of strawberries all have around 3 to 4 grams of fiber. (Eat the apple peels -- that’s where the most fiber is!). Raspberries win the fiber race at 8 grams per 1 cup.  
    Try something new. Many exotic fruits have terrific amounts of fiber: A mango has 5 grams, a persimmon has 6, and 1 cup of guava has about 9.

Vegetables
    Add color. In general, the darker the color of the vegetable, the higher the fiber content. Carrots, beets, and broccoli are fiber-rich. Collard greens and Swiss chard have 4 grams of fiber per cup. Spinach also packs a punch at 7 grams of fiber per half cup. Artichokes are among the highest-fiber veggies, at 10 grams for a medium-sized one.  
    Dig a potato. Russet, red, and sweet potatoes all have at least 3 grams of fiber for a medium-sized spud, if you eat the skin and all.

Dry and Canned Goods

Stock up on beans.
    Navy and white beans are the most fiber-rich, but all beans are fiber-packed. Any of these is a good choice for your shopping cart: garbanzo, kidney, Lima, or pinto beans. They make great soups and chilis, and are a flavorful addition to salads. Beans are also high in protein, so if you’re cutting back on red meat, they’re a healthy, filling substitute.

Let in more legumes.
    Don’t stop with beans -- other legumes are also high in fiber, including: peas, soybeans (edamame), and lentils.

Bread and Grains

Look for 5.
    Most cereals have at least some fiber content, but they’re not all created equal. Any cereal with 5 or more grams of fiber per serving is a good source.
    Select whole-grain breads. Seven-grain, dark rye, cracked wheat, and pumpernickel breads are good choices.  
    Try grains. Bulgur wheat, brown rice, wild rice, and barley are all tasty substitutions for white rice.

The Snack Aisle

Go nuts.
    A handful of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, or almonds gives you at least 3 grams of fiber. They are also high in calories, though, so make a little go a long way.

Pop some corn . Three cups of air-popped popcorn have about 4 grams of fiber.

The Cold Case

Buy foods with fiber added. Milk and other dairy products, and most juices, have either no fiber or are fairly low in fiber. New products, however, are changing that picture: Look for labels on orange juice, milk, and yogurt that say fiber is added or “fiber fortified.”

Source: http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/fiber
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    As someone else with IBS I was eating so much protein that I needed extra fiber. The Quest bars have a LOT and are great but I'm allergic to whey so I can't eat them anymore :( If you haven't tried them you might want to as they seem to be a better quality bar than some of the "so-called fiber bars".

Just my 2 cents :)