Hit a WALL

Options
Hi All,

I recently started using this site again (was using lose it app on my phone) and I have to say that I'm really looking forward to using this again! Well here is my problem, my weigh balloned to 265 and at that point I decided to make a change and watch what I ate and excercised. In the first month I lost 14 pounds primarily by walking 3 times a week for 6 miles which took an hour and 45 minutes. The second month I was down about 6 pounds and my weight was 245 and I was on my way to my goal weight of under 180 by my birthday Feb 23 of next year. Quick back story I started in July 2013, I'm 34 year old male and I'm 5' 8". Well the last few months I haven't been as consistent with my workouts but I at a minimum average 2 times a week and I can't get lower than 245. In fact last time I weighed myself I actually weighed 248 :(. I've changed up my workout to the point that now I walk on the treadmill for 65 minutes at the 4.3 mph speed which equates to 710 calories burned and 4.6 miles walked. SOme days I even double up my workout to mornings and evenings where I do 9.2 miles and burn 1400 calories. I haven't weighed myself in a week because I'm afraid to be dissappointed if I haven't even gotten back to the 245. I'm sweating alot during these new workouts and I'm really hoping that this will start resulting in the scale dropping. I guess I just feel a little defeated.

PS How do some people have the myfitnesspal signature where it indicates the current weight loss in their posts? Thanks!

Replies

• jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    What are you eating? Do you log everything in your food diary on here? Can you make your diary public?

Honestly, what you eat / don't eat is more important for losing weight than exercising. But exercising is a great way to improve your health!
  • leon0897
    leon0897 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I dont know how to post it.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Go into "Setting", "Diary Settings", then scroll to the bottom and select "Public"
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Go to your settings and make your diary public so we can see what your eating.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    PS How do some people have the myfitnesspal signature where it indicates the current weight loss in their posts? Thanks!

Go to your PROFILE.... Mine says 'personalize ticker....' I'm not sure if that's because I already have one set up, but you should see how to do it in PROFILE, and under MY PROGRESS.

BUT.... more importantly, open up your food diary, so people can help you get sorted what you're eating. It doesn't sound like you're not losing weight due to a lack of exercise.

abcb0198eaf11cbe2b5f6a59533f7d4c.jpg
  • leon0897
    Options
    Ok I think I made it public but remember I just started re using the site today so there isn't much info in there. Thanks all!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I see entries for you in February and nothing else until October. Were you tracking calories anywhere else in the meantime?

If you were not tracking, the first advice is going to be "Start tracking, keep tracking for a month and then see how it's going."
  • leon0897
    Options
    Well I was using another app called lose it for several months now. Im back to myfitnesspal based on their bigger food database and the community. I really don't have many positive supporters for my current weight loss goal, mostly just doubters. Thanks to anyone who does leave a response.
  • jenmdalton
    Options
    Hi Leon,
    While I don't typically post responses in these forums, I feel that what you need is some positive feedback and ideas. I know what the other replies are getting at. We can't see what you are eating, so we can't give you a real indication as to why you aren't losing. Here is my advice, take it for what its worth which is probably not much as I am by far no expert.

Eat. Make sure you are depriving yourself. Eat vegetables and a serving of fruit a day. Eat lean proteins, whole grains if you want to. Avoid sugar, soda, candy, etc if you can. Don't deprive yourself if you feel you need a little something and don't crucify yourself if you have a bad day.

Exercise. Mix it up. If you aren't getting results with the treadmill, maybe throw in some weight training. If you don't belong to a gym and don't want to, I would recommend maybe a work out system like P90x, Insanity, or even Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. They aren't easy, but they are a crazy work out if you can stick with them.

Drink. Water. A lot of it.

Don't be a slave to the scale. As I type this I realize I am a huge hypocrite as I weight myself like every 2-3 days or so. But don't let it destroy your positive momentum. I used to do that, but now that I work out consistently and do my best to eat right, I acknowledge the changes I can see in my body and not the number reflected on the scale.

Forums. Don't be discouraged by them. I read them often and like I said post almost never. Because there are a lot of people out there with strong opinions about food, exercise, my fitness pal, and weight loss in general. They can be awesome for inspiration too, but like all public forums they can be a vehicle for negativity.

Good luck!
  • jenmdalton
    Options
    Ugh, I should have proof read. ***MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT DEPRIVING YOURSELF!
  • KT193
    KT193 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi. It is definitley important to log your food every day, that should really help. Maybe try something other than walking? I find that once your body gets used to walking in doesn't make much difference. (I know there is plenty of people that do lose weight just walking but I don't think it works for everyone). I started on this site about five weeks and log my food everyday and have been losing 2 or 3lb every week. I do five workouts a week but only for about 20 to 30 minutes a day. I find that because I am actually reasonably fit as my work is pretty physical I have benefited from the short but intense workouts
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Set a reasonable goal, weigh your food, log it, don't overestimate your calorie burns, eat your exercise calories back, and you will lose weight.

You also don't have to kill yourself doing hours of cardio.
  • leon0897
    Options
    Finally broke 245! Lol I'm motivated and I'm going to get in the 230s by the end of this month!