Bodyfat %

Hi all,

So here is the thing: I wish to see some muscle definitions especially my abs since I will be on a vacation to Cancun this January. I dont care much about losing weight and I am fine with any wieght as long as I can see those muscle definitions.
I have been working out 4-5times a week since September. I normally do my cardio for 30 minutes after my weights. Im pretty sure that I am doing my weights stuff right and pushing myself enough since Ive been working with my trainer. I also drink lot and eat healthy including all the essential nutritions including fats and carbs.
I measured myself yesterday after about 4 weeks of work out. It turned out that I lost about 8lbs (from 124 to 116lbs) and my body fat percentage dropped from 23% to 22.5%. I was frustrated to see that it only dropped 0.5% after a full month of all my hard work. I used the one with handles. I was wondering if I dropped 8lbs, where did that weight come from? Do you think Ive lost my muscle weights?.. Im afraid that it might be my muscles.

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    If you changed your diet at the same time, part of it could be water weight. What kind of weight training program are you doing?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    I don't think the bioimpedance test is accurate enough to draw much conclusion from that %BF change. It takes a long time to significantly decrease your BF% when you are at a healthy weight.

As for losing muscle, as long as you are doing all the right things to minimize muscle loss (like progressive strength training and eating enough protein), I wouldn't worry about it. That's pretty rapid weight loss for someone so small so you could try to lose more slowly.

Also, some people have an easier time than others "getting" abs. I have visible abs and I'm around the same BF% as you are. I'm not particularly strong either. I think a lot of it is individual variation with nothing to do with fitness.
  • Slatzuk
    Slatzuk Posts: 80 Member
    body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Percentages are relative to the weight they are compared to. Maybe you are happier with these numbers:

124 * .23 = 28.5lb fat
    116 * .225 = 26.1lb fat

So that's means you lost some lean mass but also 2.4lb of fat!

I would say, if you are losing weight, you always lose lean mass along with the fat. Ask the heavy lifters how they do it.
  • I am not sure about specific types of weight training program that Im in, but my trainer comes up with different circuits for my whole body everytime we meet. We use different equipments including weight machines depending on what exercises she wants me to do. Now that Im thinking about my meal plans which are usually around 1200kcal, maybe i was not eating enough that it might have caused possible muscle loss? thanks!
  • Wow..Thank you so much! Those numbers really did make me happier:happy:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Bioelectrical impedance measuring is notoriously inaccurate. The numbers can vary widely depending on your hydration level.
    Don't put too much stock in the % --- just keep killing it at the gym and have your diet dialed in tight and you'll reach your goals.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    The hand-held device is crap, utter crap. I've taken periodic BodPod measurements to compare against my Omron (hand-held) results and the Omron way overestimated lean weight at the beginning and is now underestimating the same. I've been taking measurements with the Omron every week when I weight myself, but I'm going to stop because it's a waste of time.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    With that kind of training volume..4-5 times a week plus 30 mins cardio after each session... You're eating too much probably.. I don't think you lost any muscle, because if you're a newbie, you should be able to build muscle and burn fat at the same time, at least for a while...
    So my guess would be you're taking too much calories per day or maybe you're not counting them properly.. (you're not counting every calorie to be more exact)..
    As for body fat % measurement.. Just buy one of those 15-20$ body fat calipers (skinfold calipers ).. They're much more accurate..
  • With that kind of training volume..4-5 times a week plus 30 mins cardio after each session... You're eating too much probably.. I don't think you lost any muscle, because if you're a newbie, you should be able to build muscle and burn fat at the same time, at least for a while...
    So my guess would be you're taking too much calories per day or maybe you're not counting them properly.. (you're not counting every calorie to be more exact)..
    As for body fat % measurement.. Just buy one of those 15-20$ body fat calipers (skinfold calipers ).. They're much more accurate..

I kept my calories under 1200kcal with less than 100g of carbs per day. I try to eat clean and most my food sources are high in protein and low in carbs and sugar, things like salmons, chicken breasts, almonds, and veggies. Maybe do you think Im eating too little and it might caused possible muscle loss? thanks!!
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    With that kind of training volume..4-5 times a week plus 30 mins cardio after each session... You're eating too much probably.. I don't think you lost any muscle, because if you're a newbie, you should be able to build muscle and burn fat at the same time, at least for a while...

I kept my calories under 1200kcal with less than 100g of carbs per day. I try to eat clean and most my food sources are high in protein and low in carbs and sugar, things like salmons, chicken breasts, almonds, and veggies. Maybe do you think Im eating too little and it might caused possible muscle loss? thanks!!

I don't know why he is saying you're eating too much. The faster you lose weight, the more of it comes from muscle, so if you want to preserve more muscle, eat more and lose more slowly. Although as the person above said, it probably won't affect your ab definition, since that mostly comes from having a low %BF.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member

http://www.amazon.com/Accu-Measure-Fitness-3000-Personal-Tester/dp/B000G7YW74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381109671&sr=8-1&keywords=accu-measure
  • With that kind of training volume..4-5 times a week plus 30 mins cardio after each session... You're eating too much probably.. I don't think you lost any muscle, because if you're a newbie, you should be able to build muscle and burn fat at the same time, at least for a while...

I don't know why he is saying you're eating too much. The faster you lose weight, the more of it comes from muscle, so if you want to preserve more muscle, eat more and lose more slowly. Although as the person above said, it probably won't affect your ab definition, since that mostly comes from having a low %BF.

Im planning to incorporate more calories starting from tomorrow and of course, from healthy diets. I was worried about how I lost my weight so fast. Now it makes sense why my BF% did not drop much while my weight dropped significantly. Thank you so much for your advice!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member

^^^THIS^^^
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Are you eating every 2-3 hours and what's your typical day like, meal wise? Are you taking supplements as well?

Try doing cardio fasted no more than 30 mins in the mornin, then spread your meals every 2-3 hours (5-6 mini meals) make sure your fats are healthy fats such as oils, nuts and avocado, also your carbs are complex and eat more fish and lean protein if you aren't doing so. If you eat clean by January your abs will be out :)
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member

Well .. I misread the last part of your initial post, so I have to alter my post.. You're actually losing too fast, so you can up your calories, but of course, do it through a sensible diet as you're doing right now.. Also, I don't think you actually lost a lot of muscle, although 2 lbs per week that you lost is a lot for your body..

You're pretty much close obviously, just need some fine tuning with your calories...January deadline sounds very doable for you..Get that caliper and always do your measurements in the morning before you eat or drink anything and after bathroom..And drink lots of water.. Good luck
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member

Well, built in the gym, _revealed_ in the kitchen anyway. ;)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    A month is nothing. Learn some patience.

Well .. I misread the last part of your initial post, so I have to alter my post.. You're actually losing too fast, so you can up your calories, but of course, do it through a sensible diet as you're doing right now.. Also, I don't think you actually lost a lot of muscle, although 2 lbs per week that you lost is a lot for your body..

You're pretty much close obviously, just need some fine tuning with your calories...January deadline sounds very doable for you..Get that caliper and always do your measurements in the morning before you eat or drink anything and after bathroom..And drink lots of water.. Good luck

Thank you so much for your advice! Im definitely going to get those calipers! :happy: