POLL: What's the hardest thing about losing weight?

Options
1. Lack of nutritional and exercise knowledge?
2. Making time to eat healthy and exercise?
3 Staying motivated to eat right and exercise?
4. Too expensive to eat right and exercise?

You can just respond with the number and feel free to add any comments! If you were to pick up a book, what EXACTLY would you want to read about?

Thanks everyone!

Molls

Replies

• cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    #3 for me is the hardest.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think for me it's a combination of two.

For me, it's 1 and 3. I say that it's a combination because ... I've never had to diet before. I've always been blessed in that way. However, when I had twins, the story changed for me. I've been struggling to take off my baby weight for 2 years. Because dieting is SO FOREIGN to me, I don't have a lot of knowledge about nutrition and exercise. Sometimes I don't understand why my body is working against me. I don't always understand when I step on the scale why I'm suddenly up 3lbs from yesterday when I ate the same, workedout the same etc. This all leads to the "staying motivated" as a hardship. It's hard to stay motivated and be determined to eat right and kick butt in the gym when you feel like it's all being done for nothing, or your not seeing the results you wanted/expected.
  • hopeC12
    hopeC12 Posts: 38
    Options
    The hardest part is gaining useful information on nutrition! There is a lot of conflicting data out there, and most people don't/can't take the time to thoroughly research. Even most medical doctors have received poor education in nutrition.

On the book part, nutrition textbooks may be more useful than self help type diet books. They will have less bias and sales pitch. Though how the human body handles food is still not fully understood, so even a textbook may have misinformation. One of the nutrition textbooks I've been reading is "Understanding Nutrition" by Ellie Whitney and Sharon Rady Rolfes. It's pretty cheap used on Amazon (~$9). http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Nutrition-SHARON-RADY-ROLFES/dp/0495442828/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286936617&sr=8-1
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say #1. But it's more of a confusion about diet and exercise knowledge. There is so much information out there from jillions of sources and sorting through it can be hard. When you believe one thing, someone else says the opposite. I tend to trust the sources that truly want to help more than companies that just want my money.

Great question!! :smile:
  • jenreth
    jenreth Posts: 14 Member
    Options

3 Staying motivated to eat right and exercise?

My mother was really switched on with healthy food and keeping fit so I know what to do... but can't do it. Willpower, motivation, sticking to it, tricks and tips. I can usually stay focused for a couple of days or a week, but have no idea how to stay on track for weeks or months ongoing. And willpower stuff. Like how I can stop convincing myself that I need to have that chocolate bar and life isn't worth living without it and it won't make that much of a difference! Then eating a whole block :(
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Definitely #3. Though lack of motivation does then translate into #2, not making time to exercise.
  • amyjo519
    amyjo519 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    #2 and #3 both!! Making time and staying motivated are very challenging!!
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    #1 and #3 and you forgot to add the abundance of good delicious food there is out there!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    3 is the biggest one for me...and alittle bit of 4, I can exercise for free, but the protein drinks and healthy food are really expensive and I have a super tight budget.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    #3, though, in my case, it's about staying motivated to eat the healthy leftovers rather than the tasty alternatives.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Not eating sweets!!! They're my favorite and I've stress eaten a ton the last few days. Making goodies for my son's wedding and sampling waaaayyyy too many! Motivation and sticking to it is difficult. I'm tired of counting calories and I've been maintaining since about March.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I never understood the argument that it’s was more expensive on a diet that is soooo FALSE!! I spend maximum $150 a month on groceries for my husband and I and all we eat is veggies, chicken, brown rice, all-bran and diet Pepsi. If we went out to dinner even fast food that’s $720 a month minimum ($6 meals 2x day for 2 people x 30 days). THAT’S INSANE!!!

For me it’s finding the time to exercise so I really balance what I eat if I only have time to work out 20 minutes (<200cals) on a weeknight.
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Exercise Exercise Exercise.....UGH I simply don't have time! I'm up at 5:30 for work and don't sit down til 8:30 at night. Go to bed between 9:30 and 10 .... just to start all over the next day. So if I do exercise, something else suffers or get neglected. I need a maid, chaffeur, nanny, chef and an accountant, that would free up some time for exercise :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    1 & 3, I get really discouraged when the math doesn't add up (exercise and eat to lose 2lbs, but only 1 or none lost, then 2lb weight gain overnight). Everytime the scale disappoints me I wanna give up

Eta: what would I want to read about? Techniques guaranteed to give me my expected weight loss, and the research backing it up. I want a book that goes over exactly how many calories we need and why, and what nutrients and plans are best (with their data quoted). I am starting to feel however that there is no science to it at all....
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    3 is the biggest one for me...and alittle bit of 4, I can exercise for free, but the protein drinks and healthy food are really expensive and I have a super tight budget.

Please see my above post and feel free to email me if you have any questions. Its sooooooo much cheaper to eat healthy! If you want protein shakes just buy the lesser expensive protein shakes like Body Fortress from Walmart. Its only $19 Cdn which is ½ to ¼ the price of even no-name grocery store brands (Loblaws is $34 and a GNC basic options start at $50 +). I bought an extra tub about a month ago at a Walmart grand opening and it was only $9.95, CRAZY CHEAP!!
  • freebirdsnsc
    freebirdsnsc Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I guess facing that I cant lose my weight over night is the hardest for me....but then again its melting off pretty fast My clothes are really starting to sag
    Ive got my head on straight again and have finally got to the point abusing food or allowing it to be in control is not worth the pain that being obese has caused me to live with the past several years.

It took my husband having to put my socks and shoes on me for several days for the humiliation to kick me in the seat of my pants. I swore at that point I was done no more....

Food is a fuel not a hobby....I refuse to allow it to dictate to me any more
    I eat 5 times a day.....and have committed to doing some form of activity 5 days a week I most often go way over this.....Im feeling great physically

You couldnt pay me to go back to where I was

so if I dont want to move or am having trouble deciding if I want something thats really unhealthy example french fries...

I think back to those shoes
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    #3 most def.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Please see my above post and feel free to email me if you have any questions. Its sooooooo much cheaper to eat healthy! If you want protein shakes just buy the lesser expensive protein shakes like Body Fortress from Walmart. Its only $19 Cdn which is ½ to ¼ the price of even no-name grocery store brands (Loblaws is $34 and a GNC basic options start at $50 +). I bought an extra tub about a month ago at a Walmart grand opening and it was only $9.95, CRAZY CHEAP!!
    But it tastes horrible (just my opinion). I have a tub sitting on my desk. I can send it to you if you like. :laugh:

My predicament is worse. I read a lot. Have the tools to do well, just when I am shopping, those peanut butter M&M's call to me.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Having the extra cash to buy new clothes!!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    #3 for sure...