Something to make you think twice about eating McDonalds!

Options
American artist Sally Davies photographed a McDonald's Happy Meal every day for about six months. Scarily, there doesn't seem to be much difference between Day 1 and Day 180. It makes you wonder just what is in it to stop it going mouldy and decomposing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sallydavies/sets/72157624739645253/

Replies

• elsa11170
    elsa11170 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten at McDonalds since I saw the 2004 documentary Super Size me. They did the same thing with the french fries. Yuck!
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Wow! Both Fascinating and SCARY AS HECK!
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Crazy... we already do not eat there. But... just makes me justify our healthy eating even more.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    What are you expecting to happen? Also how was this stored, was it left out in the open or was it in a covered container?

Just seems like a smear campaign against mcdonalds
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Did you also know the beef is "dog food quality" . However I am guilty of eating chicken there maybe 4x a year.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Sadly, now I want french fries....damn.
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My friend compared the decomposition of a homemade burger and a McDonald's burger. Saaammmeee thing.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    if you think thats bad, this lady has a mcdonalds burger thats been around for 4 years!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGtDPG4UfI&feature=channel
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I posted this today and got ambushed. Tread carefully.
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Sadly...very true, she did. Makes people like me not want to post to the forum. I don't so much anymore. This is supposed to be a helpful, SUPPORTIVE, and motivational place to be....I read posts or responses from a lot of people not living up to that. Disappointing.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    When eating fast food like McDonald's food, a person seeking to lose weight, live healthy, and look good are probably not on the path to meet their weight loss goals; however, a person with a little knowledge about serving sizes may feast on a hamburger every now and again, and never have a problem fitting in that size one dress. I've seen skinny people purchase some McNuggets, eat four, and throw the rest in the trash. That's some serious self control; but we have to be honest with ourselves, most of us don't have that kind of willpower. If I buy a box of ten McNuggets, I'm gonna eat ten McNuggets. If I buy a biggie fry, I'm gonna eat the whole thing. Now, without doing any exercises, my calorie intake to meet my weight loss goals is 1330 calories, a small amount of food overall for a man. If I decided to eat a ten piece thing of McNuggets, large French Fries, and a large soda, my calorie intake for that one meal is nearly my daily allowance. What happens to the rest of my day? By the time my head hits the pillow, I will have taken in nearly twenty-five hundred calories. With that said, why would anybody seeking to improve one's health through diet and exercise succumb to the will of a Big Mac?
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I console myself knowing I am saving my family tons of money on embalming.
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Sadly...very true, she did. Makes people like me not want to post to the forum. I don't so much anymore. This is supposed to be a helpful, SUPPORTIVE, and motivational place to be....I read posts or responses from a lot of people not living up to that. Disappointing.

I've got a great group of guys and gals who are nothing but supportive. We have goals of losses by holidays...would love to have you join if you want a FRIENDLY environment. :) Just do a search for H20.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options

I've got a great group of guys and gals who are nothing but supportive. We have goals of losses by holidays...would love to have you join if you want a FRIENDLY environment. :) Just do a search for H20.

Of course! I'd love that!
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    ... and if I told my kids that their occassional trip to McD's was nixed because their "Happy Meal's last forever", I'd likely get some smart *kitten* comment from my 11 year old. As far as I'm concerned, all that matter sis how prepared I am when I step through the doors of those golden arches. Every street corner in the U.S has a fast food restaurant (when I moved here from Oz I can honestly say I was blown away) and I think it'll be a cold day in hell before I see them shutting their doors and crying poor. LOL. I am glad that most restaurants have some reasonable options (if you're sensible) for those of us that need them. Realism to me means accepting that sometimes you need to be able to pull in somewhere to grab n' go... I just try and choose the healthier options.
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten at McDonalds since I saw the 2004 documentary Super Size me. They did the same thing with the french fries. Yuck!

Me neither! And now my boss is expecting our staff to work there as a fundraiser...but I am so completely, morally against it! Definitely a rock & hard place situation.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    Being real about what you are eating is practical. It doesn't mean you absolutely should not eat there. A person needs their cals, even on the go. But some of this stuff is almost like shock therapy. Like saying this is where I came from and I don't ever want to go back. It's the reality of what they were putting in their bodies, like when you look at the cals of bad foods. When I was shown all the crap in cigarettes, I didn't see it as "bashing" or nixing it from my life, but being real about what I was subjecting my body to.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    What are you expecting to happen? Also how was this stored, was it left out in the open or was it in a covered container?

Just seems like a smear campaign against mcdonalds

In the open, in her living room.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options

I must have missed that one :blushing: That's what I get for living on the other side of the world :laugh:
  • lalouli
    lalouli Posts: 41
    Options
    Well we don't eat many happy meals these days, but I am guilty of drinking a sugar-free ice-coffee 3 or 4 days a week. No idea what chemicals or preservatives might be in that, but it keeps me going around 3 o'clock when I'm ready to keel over. I let my kids eat a chocolate chip cookie, too, when they finish their homework without whining (just 'cause we're there getting mommy's ice coffee). Don't tell me what's in those. Sigh . . .