Stages of Running

Options
These feelings might be hit at different distances with other people, but can anybody else relate?

I made a great analogy of running to death today as I was dying on my run lol. The normal stages of death are Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance.

Maybe the feelings I get from running aren't exactly like that, but I'm definitely in denial in the beginning of my run when my lungs are getting used to the the breathing. The negative thoughts start creeping in and I'm telling myself that I can't do it; that I might as well just turn around and go home. I sometimes feel this huge tension in my chest that needs to get let out with a deep breath. Afterwards, I tell myself to keep going because the run will be over soon enough.

The anger comes primarily from frustration. I reach a point where I ask myself why I'm running since I hate it so much. But I keep telling myself to keep going.

Bargaining comes right just a little bit before mile 2 for me. I feel my steps getting smaller and heavier, and my breathing is pretty rapid. Just as I'm about to give in to my negative thoughts, I hear the chimer go off saying that I've ran 2 miles. I tell myself to keep going, since my run is almost over and I've already ran 2 miles so far.

There isn't a stage of depression, so I just jump straight forward to the acceptance stage, where I force myself to keep going b/c I've accepted the fact that I committed myself to this run by now, and I know how crappy I'm going to feel once I give up and start walking.

Then the bell goes off once I've reached my desired distance! I put a little hop into my last step as a sign of accomplishment, like a "whoopee!". The endorphins kick in and I think about how proud I am for running as much as I just did.

Moral of the story: KEEP GOING. :drinker:

Replies

• fitmom2000
    fitmom2000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Totally needed that today! :laugh:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Great analogy! lol.... I can relate going through a similar thought process when running... usually its "get to the next lamppost/junction, then we'll reassess"......
  • runningagainstmyself
    Options
    This was so me during my 9.5 mile run. Thank you.

(My anger came around mile 6 though... I literally had to give myself a pep talk to get myself out of not quitting. It was kind of schizophrenic and pathetic all at once.)
  • missfitmt
    missfitmt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great analogy! lol.... I can relate going through a similar thought process when running... usually its "get to the next lamppost/junction, then we'll reassess"......

I love it!
    This was so me during my 9.5 mile run. Thank you.

(My anger came around mile 6 though... I literally had to give myself a pep talk to get myself out of not quitting. It was kind of schizophrenic and pathetic all at once.)

I so get this, but at a much shorter distance lol. Kudos to you for running 9.5 miles!!!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    :love: love this
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ha ha!!! Exactly how I feel!!! :)
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    Sounds about right for me!!!!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    all ihave to say to that is "slow down". not that i am an experienced runner, but i never start out struggling, well, except for the odd time when i shouldn't be out there to begin with.
    my stages are "yay, i finally got to go out", "just keep running, just keep running..." (along to the "finding nemo"-tune), and "wow i really did this much :-O"
    the other day i found myself racing a garbage truck, and it's kind of cool to realize what you are capable of, considering what you thought you were capable of just a few years back.....
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I think it took me a month before I didn't feel those same emotions. My biggest problem I was trying to run to fast.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My five stages of 'Run Death':
    Denial- It's only 7:30am. You don't have that much to do today, A 15 mile run is not out of the question.

Anger- Augh, I'm running out of time. Why do I have to do stupid real-life junk instead of just run all day like I want. This sucks.

Bargaining- If you can get your dumb life together quickly, maybe you can run again tomorrow, or squeeze in another 30-45 minutes tonight. Where's my headlamp again?

Depression- Fine. I'll quit at 90 minutes. I guess having food in the house is a priority after all.

Acceptance- Ok, well I got in 12 miles today. There's always tomorrow, I guess.
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    AHhaha, can't say I get ALL of that, but I know what you mean :)
    Just keep going :)
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I spend most of my time in "bargaining" - making myself all kinds of crazy deals and promises if I just keep running a bit longer. Given I actually never honour these bargains with myself, I'm not sure why I believe me the next run! But I do. Always
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    Just like today!!! I was 1 mile in to a 2.5 mile run. I was tired. Each step felt like it wasn't natural. I said 'body, let's just stop and go home.'...........after considering it, my mind said 'you gotta get back, walking or running, it's about the same distance dummy!' So I ran. It wasn't fun today. It wasn't easy. But I finished and felt better. Lol
  • blueuniverse
    blueuniverse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've definitely experienced that train of thought in the past! Especially when I first started running. But now I enjoy it most days. Like some others have said, I tend to slow it down if I feel the negative thoughts creeping in.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    These feelings might be hit at different distances with other people, but can anybody else relate?

I made a great analogy of running to death today as I was dying on my run lol. The normal stages of death are Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance.

Maybe the feelings I get from running aren't exactly like that, but I'm definitely in denial in the beginning of my run when my lungs are getting used to the the breathing. The negative thoughts start creeping in and I'm telling myself that I can't do it; that I might as well just turn around and go home. I sometimes feel this huge tension in my chest that needs to get let out with a deep breath. Afterwards, I tell myself to keep going because the run will be over soon enough.

The anger comes primarily from frustration. I reach a point where I ask myself why I'm running since I hate it so much. But I keep telling myself to keep going.

Bargaining comes right just a little bit before mile 2 for me. I feel my steps getting smaller and heavier, and my breathing is pretty rapid. Just as I'm about to give in to my negative thoughts, I hear the chimer go off saying that I've ran 2 miles. I tell myself to keep going, since my run is almost over and I've already ran 2 miles so far.

There isn't a stage of depression, so I just jump straight forward to the acceptance stage, where I force myself to keep going b/c I've accepted the fact that I committed myself to this run by now, and I know how crappy I'm going to feel once I give up and start walking.

Then the bell goes off once I've reached my desired distance! I put a little hop into my last step as a sign of accomplishment, like a "whoopee!". The endorphins kick in and I think about how proud I am for running as much as I just did.

Moral of the story: KEEP GOING. :drinker:

I love this I know these 5 stages very well. Here is a funny video about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZod_WTpAU4