Getting frustrated

Options
Hi all... This is my first post here, but I didn't know where else to turn....I have been dieting for two months now...when I started I was 325. Doctor put me on phentermine and since then I have lost somewhere between 40 and 50 lbs....I really have changed how I eat and try to go yo the gym 3 times a week... Lately I am just getting discouraged... I am basically in the same size clothes and no one has even noticed my weight loss, even my family..... I just feel so frustrated, like I am doing this for nothing, and I will never have a payoff.....

Replies

• srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Dont be discouraged! You are doing an amazing job, keep logging your calories and heading to the gym 3 times a week. Make sure you are ramping up your workouts so they keep having a positive effect on your body :)

They say it takes only 4 weeks for you to notice a change, 8 weeks for those close to you and 12 weeks for everyone else. I have to say even my partner who sees me every day didn't notice mine until I pointed it out so don't let their lack of observation get to you.

Great job, keep up the good work :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You should be doing this for you. Can you walk up stairs faster and do you feel better? Those are the important things. I am sure your clothes are looser even if you may not be to a smaller size yet. I know I am still wearing elastic waist pants I wore at my highest and they still fit. Give it time and they will notice. Sometimes people feel a little uncomfortable telling someone they noticed their weight loss since they don't want you to think they thought you were fat before.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You really can't depend on other's input and encouragement to keep you going. No matter how well-meaning, they will let you down.
  • twenty20tunnelvision
    Options
    Your first problem is seeking approval from others. 40-50 pounds is HUGE. YOU should be proud of that. Go to a pet store, pick up 3 bags of 15lb dog food... and try carrying it around the store for a while. That's 45 lbs. that you no longer carry around with you. Get your head right. Time to sit and consider your priorities.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you all....it's just rough...as you all know...,I have been heavy my whole life and this is the best I have EVER done with weight loss......I just want soooo bad to be able to go into as tote and not have to buy anything "plus size" .....but I know how far off that goal is...I need to try to think of a more achievable goal...
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Celebrate that you got this far! Sure, that "no more plus sizes" thing might still be a ways off, but it's a hell of a lot closer than it was before you started.

And I agree with the other folks in here - do it for YOU. If you are happy with your progress, while others might not notice the weight loss, they will see you smiling and start to say, "You seem a lot happier, everything good?" :)
  • AlexiCristina
    AlexiCristina Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! It might take a while for you to notice your progress but you ARE progressing! Your lung function is improving, your heart is becoming stronger, you're walking a little lighter. 40-50 pounds really is huge. Don't do it for anyone but yourself. If you're doing it for the approval of others you will only be disappointed and want to give up. Your family and friends aren't the ones working their butts off to lose weight and be healthy. YOU ARE! You need no more than your own approval and a little faith.

It is a huge accomplishment to lose that much weight, and I congratulate you. It isn't impossible to lose a large amount of weight. Think in small goals. Tell yourself that by Thanksgiving you'll lose another 10 pounds. By Christmas maybe another 6 or 8. By Valentine's Day another 12 and so on. It sounds silly, but that's how I've lost 34 pounds. If you miss a goal don't beat yourself up about it; try harder to attain the next goal. You can do it. Good luck!
  • ceebeez1975
    ceebeez1975 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know it must be so frustrating, for you. I think the bigger a person is the less it can show, or so I have been told. My friend lost 8kg she looked fantastic, I have lost nearly 8kg and no one has noticed. I am at least 30 kg heavier than her so I am guessing thats why. Dont give up you have done so well :)
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I need to try to think of a more achievable goal...

In my opinion, this is good thinking.

Having an "ultimate" goal or set of goals is great, but honestly the short-term successes (both on and off the scale) are the ones that encourage me from day to day. I can now wear two pairs of jeans that I couldn't wear during the summer and my shirts are all looser. I have moved freight weighing between 1000 and 2000 pounds several times this week and never got out of breath or tired once. My thighs and butt are looking tighter and smoother, my belly is a lot smaller, my face looks leaner and less puffy and my arms look leaner. My pretty new bra that I bought last year isn't too tight anymore. I have found lots of new foods that I really like, as well as learning to incorporate my old favorites into my goals. I can usually have some whiskey when I want it and know that it isn't contributing to weight gain. I am about a pound and a half from my first major weight goal of 50 pounds/298 weight.

Of course, the actual weight loss is a satisfying reference point as well - I started in June at 348 and in the past week saw 299 for the first time in a long time. During times when the scale isn't showing much change, though, these other things help me to see the progress in other ways and keep a positive mindset. I know that my health is improving and it's about much more than the number on the scale, and while I want to keep the "big picture" in mind, these mini-goals that aren't so far out are definitely very much part of my program.