To eat exercise cals or not?

Options
JDMPWR
JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
Wondering who eats their exercise cals and who doesn't, and has anyone seen a change in weight loss from eating them to not or vice versa!!!!

Before I was eating some of them and was seeing a rapid weight loss. I started to feel weak and raised my cals, and added more protein into the diet. I believe a week or 2 ago I stopped eating any of my exercise cals and have noticed my weight loss slowing down.

I know it's advised not to do this but I wanted to see what would happen.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong answer for this. You should never feel sick or weak- this is a sign of not enough calories. However, just because you worked out doesn't mean you should indulge in extra calories. You are, after all, trying to create a calorie deficit. Aim to stay around your initial calorie goal, however, if you are hungry or weak feeling, slowly consume more calories until you feel better (especially low calorie protein- I recommend ostrim protein snacks)

Personally, I do not consume my exercise calories.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    That is an interesting question and I often wonder myself. I recently came to the conclusion that if I have a large amount of calories available to me, then I would only eat if I am hungry. If I am not hungry or weak, then bonus!!!

The funny thing is, when I torched a lot of calories from running on a certain day, I would not be hungry. But the next day, which ends up being my rest day, I am starving! So then I look bad to all who view my diary on that particular day. But it all should equal out. Can't make yourself starve calories I figure.

Also I learned from this web site, that when your weight hits a plateau, you need to up your calories for just a short period of time. This is rev up your metabolism. Or you can decrease your calories if you already have plenty.

I think another key is to find foods that are low in calories and fat but fill you up. Naturally fruits and veggies. If you have the time to plan, then that will make a difference in the long run.
  • RonaZway
    Options
    I think the days you work out, hard... you should eat some of the extra given. But not necessarily all of them. And I would only eat the extra acquired from cardio, not the weight training. If your lifting then you might be starting to put on muscle mass. 1 pound of muscle is much smaller in size than 1 pound of fat, so therefor if your losing fat and gaining muscle, you might not see the results on the scale but in the way your clothes fit. And your right to watch your protein intake, it should be higher! That's what repairs your muscles. With out proper nutrition, you wont see the results your looking for.

Rona
    Personal Trainer
    Las Vegas, NV
  • RonaZway
    Options
    It's totally normal to have a 'Hungry day" the day after a hard workout!!! :happy:
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    My protein intake now stays at no less then 200grams. I shoot for 1 gram per lb as often as I can. I am gonna eat a few of my work out cals each day but want to leave a deficit of 790 from workout cals and added to the 710 cals deficit MFP adds in I can shoot for my goal of 12lbs a month and still keep my protein, carbs and fat where I want them to be(40/40/20) for now.

Thanks for the heads up guys!!!!
  • joleanrook
    Options
    You said you "started to feel weak and" raised your cals. The weakness might not be due to having too few calories.
    As a weight loss counselor the first thing I would ask my clients when they complained of weakness / fatigue / or feeling "low", is ARE YOU GETTING ENOUGH POTASSIUM? You probably aren't.

You can switch your table salt to MORTONS LITE SALT. It has added potassium. One serving gives you 340 mg of potassium and only 290mg of sodium. Low potassium can affect your mood, energy levels, and even gives you muscle cramps / weakness.
    .... Just a suggestion :smile:

Furthermore, I think if you eat all your exercise calories you're kind of defeating the purpose. Now, if you've had a really INTENSE work out then yes, maybe you might need a few - but not more than is in a well balanced post-workout protein shake.
    (I use Jillian Michaels triple chocolate and make it with Almond milk and ice in the blender). Any more than that and you're just going to stay where you are.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Since joining MFP two months ago, I realized that I was eating the same calories each day whether I exercised or not. That was why I wasn't losing weight. I had been cycling 3-5 days a week for at least an hour.

Then I joined here and started eating the calories I was told. Actually, I stay under the total each day. I have it set for 1 1/2 pound lose and am losing 2 pounds a week.

I eat some of my exercise calories. When i ride over an hour, I actually eat foodnetwork.com energy bars with Costco dried fruit & berries instead of their list of dried fruit. They are good and only 133 calories. Then, I eat a 200-300 calories right after the ride. On the day, I probably eat 1/2 the added calories.

Seems to be working.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    I'm gonna start eating between a 3rd to a half of my exercise cals. I just looked back in my log and noticed I was eating a good amount of them before and was still dropping. I think I became obsessed with cutting cals to drop weight.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I do eat my exercise cals and her is why I do. MFP start with setting a goal to lose X lbs a week and then sets my intake cals to meat that goal. If I eat my exercise cal then I am still at my original weight loss goal. Not eating exercise cal may help me lose weight faster, but is is not in my plan.

One of the best thing I read on MFP regarding this (and I can’t find the thread now) stated if you are medically obese, 30+bmi, don't eat exercise cal as you have them stored on your body already, if you are medically over weight, 25-30 bmi, eat a portion of your exercise cals and if you are in healthy range of your bmi then eat all the exercise cals. That made sense to me, but that is just my opinion.
  • NatalieBrooke88
    Options
    Staggering calorie intake is VERY important for weight loss. Just as it is necessary to keep changing up your workout, it is necessary to mix up calorie intake- especially through plateaus. So, one day perhaps 1200 calories, the next 1900, the next 1500, the next 1200- as long as the average is the recommended weight loss calorie intake.
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My protein intake now stays at no less then 200grams. I shoot for 1 gram per lb as often as I can. I am gonna eat a few of my work out cals each day but want to leave a deficit of 790 from workout cals and added to the 710 cals deficit MFP adds in I can shoot for my goal of 12lbs a month and still keep my protein, carbs and fat where I want them to be(40/40/20) for now.

Thanks for the heads up guys!!!!

12 pounds a month!!!! good on ya if you can do this!
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Staggering calorie intake is VERY important for weight loss. Just as it is necessary to keep changing up your workout, it is necessary to mix up calorie intake- especially through plateaus. So, one day perhaps 1200 calories, the next 1900, the next 1500, the next 1200- as long as the average is the recommended weight loss calorie intake.

i didnt know this, my average last month was about 1200, but there were so many sometimes eating 1600, sometimes eating 800, so this month im trying to make everyday 1100 to 1200! should i not do this???
  • Net132
    Net132 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I do eat my exercise cals and her is why I do. MFP start with setting a goal to lose X lbs a week and then sets my intake cals to meat that goal. If I eat my exercise cal then I am still at my original weight loss goal. Not eating exercise cal may help me lose weight faster, but is is not in my plan.

One of the best thing I read on MFP regarding this (and I can’t find the thread now) stated if you are medically obese, 30+bmi, don't eat exercise cal as you have them stored on your body already, if you are medically over weight, 25-30 bmi, eat a portion of your exercise cals and if you are in healthy range of your bmi then eat all the exercise cals. That made sense to me, but that is just my opinion.

I agree, but a lot of good points. Thanks for the great Question and Answers. i am going to apply some of the things to my plan.
  • NatalieBrooke88
    Options

i didnt know this, my average last month was about 1200, but there were so many sometimes eating 1600, sometimes eating 800, so this month im trying to make everyday 1100 to 1200! should i not do this???

From my research, and from collaboration from other personal trainers, staggering calories is key. Mixing up calorie intake and exercise is very important for more rapid success. This is just one article of hundreds that support this opinion: http://ezinearticles.com/?Calorie-Staggering-Weight-Loss-Plans&id=2244274