Core excerise and lower back

Options
Hey guys, I am looking for some new core excerises. I currently work with a personal trainer twice a week for body imbalances for my back,, as had a back injury recoup to take care of. We circuit train a lot as, all sorts of crazy things, I can only sustain about 20 mins on one activity before the back kicks in, so we vary the workout. So I have a great circuit train twice a week as a few hours. I do yoga and also planks and of course a cardio mixup of some kind, tribal fusion belly dance, so flexibility is not a problem. I'm concerned about gaining strength in my core so once I lose all of the weight, I would like to have some definition there do there. So what can I add to this mix up that is not a crunch, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks so much!

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Weight training for your low back helps a ton if you are allowed to do that with your previous injury. I like weights for the abs, too, myself.

But since you mentioned tribal fusion, you have to try to work on kneeling laybacks (to Turkish fold position)! Those build great ab strength to get you down and especially back up. And they are really challenging and fun :)

Also work on standing backbends (not 90 degrees like Rachel Bryce used to do, because that's awful on the lower back). Or the kneeling backbends that are very similar to the layback version, just very arched. Those all build lower back strength very well. And ab strength for bringing yourself back up. Start with Camel pose from Yoga if you haven't already been doing backbends.

If your back doesn't allow all the dance stuff or weights yet, there are really safe moves for strengthening the lower back from physical therapy. If it's a rehab type situation, see a physical therapist or at very least get suggestions from their websites for gentle ideas.
  • SpdDemon426
    SpdDemon426 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Squats and Deadlifts. Do those for 3 months, you will be surprised with how good the results are.
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    what are dead lifts?
  • Christie1Pearl
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes spdDemon, doing those squats and dead lifts with trainer! Tx U~~~

Cafeaulait! Thank you so much! Great Info, very helpful. I used to do the 90 degree drop as you mention by Rachel Bryce with a real full curve too. Have not done 90 degree since the injury I really been so careful. I will for sure try working on the kneeling layback / turkish fold position as the standing backbends.. I am getting there slowly bur sure!

Thanks everyone!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Options
    If you currently do squats, deadlifts, yoga, and planks, you currently have a strong core, and there is nothing else you need to do for it. Avoid overworking your core, as it could lead to injuries.
  • Christie1Pearl
    Options
    Thanks cheri!!! I agree, i am currnetly just starting to build up my core again from back injury and was looking for other mix ups, in luew of the ones I mentioned.