Intelligent people say on 5:2 diet

Options
so this question is directed to intelligent people on MFP ( i consider them to be intelligent because they backup what they say)

okay so what are your opinions about 5:2 and then maintaining weight through 6:1 forever.

Not for people who are doing 5:2 this is just for my knowledge not anything against or for you guys.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is more a style of eating than a diet - though of course 5:2 is used to lose weight - if it fits your routine & lifestyle then great, go for it.

at the end of the day, its each to their own and finding what works for you.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    personally i couldnt do it. im hellish when im hungry. and i couldnt see it working anyway. i think you'd just put the weight back on when you eat normally for the 3 days. i guess it required alot of will power
  • SaraAxm
    SaraAxm Posts: 30
    Options
    If it works for you go for it. Intermittent fasting has proved to have several benefits on your health and I think that in a world where we're always surrounded by food it's good to sometimes step away from that since it'll make us think a bit more about what we eat.

I prefer the 8/16 model myself when doing intermittent fasting.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    It's just a way to redistribute calories over the course of the week. As long as you net at a deficit at the end of the week, you'll lose weight. If not, you won't. It's a question of convenience for people with certain lifestyles, and will suit some and not others (especially the ones with an unhealthy relationship with food, who are prone to binging etc), but it doesn't change the maths.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    so this question is directed to intelligent people on MFP ( i consider them to be intelligent because they backup what they say)
    and agree with you?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    personally i couldnt do it. im hellish when im hungry. and i couldnt see it working anyway. i think you'd just put the weight back on when you eat normally for the 3 days. i guess it required alot of will power

omg.gif That's not how things work
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think it's too new an approach for us to be able to back up with hard evidence and research.

However, fasting is not new, and fasting one day a week is practised by many people in some form or another.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    You had people respond to you on your previous thread who were maintaining on 6:1 for considerable time?

Were they somehow not "intelligent" enough for you? :huh:
  • ejdutton
    ejdutton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Agree with size10again!