Water making you go pee more often?

Options
I'm drinking water more then I used to which is a good thing, but it makes me have to do my business like mad..I used to have to go at least twice a day and I'd sleep all night without getting up once. Now I get up at least twice a night and having to go which really annoys me. Any advice?

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I would avoid drinking to much before bed, and try to get most of it during the day.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Suddenly drinking much more water than you did will cause you to go to the bathroom more but your body should get used to it in about a week. Afterwards it will still be more frequent then you are used to but not quite as often – sorry for being very aloof with the facts.

I drink 12 glasses of water a day and NEVER wake up at night. I do have to go at 6:00 am through which is fine, that’s my normal wake up time.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I could try..I get hungry and thirsty late at night sometimes and water is my only option. Sometimes i feel thirsty during the night..and need water.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yeah, I think you should pound back the water before 6pm too...maybe that will stop your thirst in the middle of the night...but i feel your pain, i sleep with my mouth open so i have to have water in the night...and i usually have to get up once in the night to pee
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I definitely pee a ton more now. But where before I drank maybe one or two glasses of water a day I now finish my 32oz nalgene bottle between 4-5 times a day. I try not to drink to late at night but I definitely have to pee when I wake up. If you're thirsty drink. Trust your body. (^_^)
  • kymberlin
    kymberlin Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I try to drink 8/10 glasses a day but all before I finish work. I am an LNA for the Visiting Nurses so I travel from house to house. Now I am peeing in almost all of them.:blushing: But if I drink all my water early in the day then most of its gone by bed time. :laugh:
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    this is actually good for you! You should be drinking enough water to keep your pee clear (not yellow) all day. It's actually recommended by doctors to go 7-12 times during the day. So long as you're not overdoing the water and you're not under doing it you should be fine. I can't really give any advice on how to not pee as often since it's flushing your kidneys and helping you to shed the pounds and flush out toxins.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It happens, more in, more out and all that. I tend to drink a whole lot of water, at all times of day, and really unless you have a hard time falling back to sleep, I wouldn't stress too much about it.

But occasionally planning is important if you are going to be stuck in traffic, or on an airplane..or generally somewhere without facilities. ^_^
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I'm going to say it. Tena Lady pads *L*

Really, I found the first week or so. I have been drinking about 10 - 12 cups of water a day, prior I would go days without drinking a glass of water.

Anyway. In the first week or so I found I needed to get up and pee in the middle of the night, now, being that I have a baby(15months), and he wakes me up, I go then just in case. But I've always gone first thing in the morning. It's subsided now, though.
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel like they gotta go just reading this thread??? LOL!

I go a lot too. It drives me crazy and I hope once I really drink my water like I'm supposed to everyday, that it will get better.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have this same issue. I often get up 2 or 3 times a night now to go to the bathroom. But I find that if I get most of my water during the day and don't drink much 3 hours or so before bed I either only get up once or not at all. I hope that helps you too. *hugs*
  • kimkimby9
    Options
    Hi, I think everyone who is actually listening to the experts and consuming at least 8 glasses of water a day has this problem. But like the others have suggested, once you are drinking a lot of water instead of coffees, sodas, etc., (which can actually dehydrate you), your body will adjust itself. I have to be careful with my fluid intake because of my RSD and its swelling (edema) component. My doctors have me take Lasix (a water pill, i.e.-diuretic) every time my leg and foot starts to swell up with fluid. On those days, I can't drink much of any fluid because it will fight against the Lasix. When I am okay and not swelling, I find that I try to chew sugarless gum that is very strong-flavored so it makes me thirsty and makes me want to drink a lot of water. I also take my water with me in the car, or wherever. You find that you don't really have to force yourself to drink water, if you have it readily available, you will automatically reach for it when you think you're hungry. Sometimes, you aren't really hungry, and all you really need is a drink of water. While getting up in the middle of the night is sometimes aggravating, it really IS helping your body to heal itself and clean it of all its impurities. Especially important to know: if you are constantly thirsty and get up a few times every night to pee, check with your doctor. You may be spilling sugar into your urine, and your body is trying to expel it from your system. This happens with Diabetics (I am one). When your blood glucose level is high, it spills over into your blood; then your kidneys try to filter out the excess sugar (glucose) before it does any damage. A dietician once told me that if you are unsure of the glucose(sugar) in something you've eaten, then drink extra water afterwards just to dilute the sugar in your system. She said that high glucose levels makes your blood seem like battery acid running through your veins, and you don't want that to happen. Drink up! Protect yourself. Yes, excessive "peeing" can seem like a hassle-but it's FAR better than the alternative. Your body knows how to protect itself from you. Help it to do its job, and not only will you lose the excess weight, but you will be healthier, too! Drink Up! (water, that is!) Kim
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    Your body will definitely get used to it over time. Hang in there xxx
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if i have a bad eating day, I will drink water afterwords. It helps me feel better and less guilty.
  • goldilocks007
    Options
    Hang in there, the peeing will eventually decrease as long as you are consistant with your water intake. I would alsio avoid/limit fluids after dinner
    My theory on frequent peeing is that when you start to drink more water, your body dried out, like a dried out lawn during a drought. When it rains hard, not all the water is absorbed and a flood can occur. When you first start drinking adequete amounts of water, the water is not fully being absorbed into your body and will run right to your bladder. As our bodies become slowly hydrated, more water will be absorbed to your body for use , and then less runs off to the bladder.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Your bladder will get used to the large amount of liquid and adjust itself. Also, don't chug water to hurry and finish because it can go right through you.