Visceral Fat - Where did THIS come from?

Options
I don't see a forum on here for older women (50+) and dealing with weight loss, so I'm posting here. Background: always working on weight loss, all my life. Up down, Up down. I was on my way back "down" in May of this year and excited about my weight loss. THEN, life stepped in AGAIN. Had some minor surgery in May, small setback. Summer vacation-didn't help. Then the doozer - my dad fell and broke his hip with surgery following. Plus I'm raising my 7 year old granddaughter. STRESS abounds. Hospital trips, taking care of both of my parents, not sleeping, back-to-school stress, and much more and the fat piled on. I gained 12 pounds in 6 weeks - NOT healthy, has never happened this way before. And it is a fat that I've never experienced before. Right in the belly - hard and painful. Not the jiggly wiggly fat anymore - I can't even hold my stomach in. It's like this hard ball is sitting on my stomach. Welll, then I decided I was depressed enough about it, I started eating right again and exercising 4 weeks ago. Journaled every day, increased my exercise routine - Pilates and Yoga 2x/week (which I never stopped doing), weight training 1x/week, and treadmill every day (I heard that cardio is about the only thing to get rid of this Visceral fat).

Results = NONE. Not an ounce. It's not coming off. I'm eating enough, not too much, and working out. I'm 57 and tired of being told that as you age, it's harder to lose. THIS HARD?! I've always been active and this belly thing is slowing me down. I'm still under much stress with no sleep, but that's not going to change for a while.

Any new ideas on this visceral fat and how to lose it?

Thank you. Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

From Mamaw in the Sandwich (triple-decker) Generation

Replies

• Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Not to add any more stress, but I really think that might not be fat. You should go see a doctor. It could be a hardening of an organ, or a growth of some type. Especially with the rapid weight gain, and pain. Fat is not normally painful.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor. A rapid weight gain and a "hard ball" in your belly? You should get that checked out.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    So I don't want to scare you or anything, but I've never heard someone refer to their stomach fat as a "hard, painful ball." That you've never experience before? And you gained it rapidly, and diet and exercise isn't getting rid of it? Go see a doctor. Something funky could be going on in there.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    What everyone is saying here is true; your description doesn't sound like visceral fat. Visceral fat is that which infiltrates in and around our organs and we all have it no matter how old we are. The reason we women gain more fat in our belly region as we age is that during mental-pause our estrogen levels go down, thus making us need less fat stores around hips, where we need it during childbearing years. Definitely see a doc.
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I will also add, sounds like you're not getting enough sleep. Sleep is a very important tool in our weight loss journeys.

Good luck!
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Take the time and go see a doctor
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree that a trip to the doctor is in order. Fat, visceral or subcutaneous, should not be painful. Also,visceral fat is not visible except by medical tests. Visceral fat is internal around your organs. It is a very dangerous type of fat, but it should not make your tummy big and hard and painful.

In addition to seeing a doctor, I would suggest that you start some type of routine to deal with your stress. Yoga, meditation, a long hot bath. Stress is very bad for your health.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi Lacy,

I agree with others. Please pay a visit to your doctor.