Just found out I'm pregnant...

Options

Replies

• Natashadb
    Options
    Hi there!

I am also newly pregnant! I am about 8 weeks! I am going to continue MFP to keep healthy.

Add me and we can help each other along :-)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Wait 3 months before telling people, just some emotional advice...

Congrats though! :)
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Unplanned and unexpected? Could you elaborate? I mean, surely you had intercourse and are aware that no form of birth control (if you were using it) is 100% effective, yes?

Yes, that was helpful... :noway:

people that are surprised they get pregnant make me lol....just like people that say "oh, we weren't NOT trying."

gimme a break.

I was surprised because every doctor in the world told me that I wasn't going to get pregnant without medical intervention. 2 months after I started a new diet for my hormone imbalance I was pregnant. Yeah it was a surprise! A GREAT surprise but a surprise non the less!!
  • LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You may want to check out www.babyfit.com in addition to MFP.
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Congratuations!! :flowerforyou:
    To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about calorie counting just now. Keep well hydrated while your sick.
    xx
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I set my calories to maintenance at first and am now slightly above. MFP has been great. This is the first time I've ever been both pregnant and in control of my weight. Even if you don't eat perfectly, staying accountable by logging will at least nudge you in the right direction when you feel like doing the crazy cookie monster binge thing ;)
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    Congratulations! Eat maintenance and exercise. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable and if you don't feel up to it at least walk 30 minutes a day. I am pregnant too (3rd baby) and when I asked about weight control and calorie counting, the doctor looked at me and said, "It's nice to have a woman come in who wants to be healthy, so I wouldn't say so much worry about counting calories as making better or healthier choices." That probably was the best advice ever given to me out of 3 pregnancies. And with that said, I am just over half way mark and have only put on 10 lbs.

When it comes to morning sickness, my midwife my first time around recommended always carrying sugar-free peppermint hard candy.
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I don't have any advice on your calorie intake question, but when it comes to morning sickness, we are old pals. My ob recommended a few things to help: anything with ginger or lemon, not letting yourself get too hungry, and with my second they gave me these tasty lolli-pops that I could pop in when needed. These all really seemed to help.
  • LSeales
    LSeales Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor about it for future reference and she told me that Weight Watchers has a program for expectant mothers. That would be up to you if you wanted to pay for something like that. I personally do not.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Join the fit and fabulous pregnancy group. It's a really nice group of ladies.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine. Just keep fit and heatlhy along with stretching , It will help with recovery.

And considering the narrow window that pregnancy NORMALY occurs in. I think it is fine to be suprised. And even if you are trying it is normal to be apprehensive. Good luck!
  • nataliea683
    nataliea683 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure about the calorie thing but when i was pregnant and suffering from morning sickness my mother in law and grandmother in law practically force fed me ginger biscuits (i dont like ginger biscuits!) but they really worked i also had a box of cereal in the car and had a few handfuls of that on the way to work to stop feeling sick

good luck with your pregnancy its the most amazing (if not a bit yucky at some stages) experience you will ever go through with the best reward at the end!

xx
  • ronit_rai
    ronit_rai Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    congrats!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    all the very best for the pregnancy.

as for the morning sickness, try upping your potassium levels. Oranges are a good place to start. I "needed" as in had to have, an orange last thing at night and never felt sick. My body told me that.

Hope it settles soon, but if it becomes really problematic ask you doctor.

take care
  • MMoriarty2013
    Options
    Congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • GinnySeedsSkogen
    GinnySeedsSkogen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Even when a pregnancy is planned there is a mental adjustment period. I have five children. After a few years of waiting, my husband and I decided to consult a infertility clinic, the Dr. prescribed a medication that helped with ovulation. Within a few months I was pregnant, same for our second child. Our third came along by surprise, we really didn't think it was possible without the medication, no need for medication after that! My point is with each pregnancy there is a mental adjustment period, it's okay, give yourself time to adjust.

In my first four pregnancies I gained 32 lbs each time, not that I planned it that way. I ate well, took mult-vitamins and so forth. Losing the weight got a little harder with each pregnancy. By the fifth pregnancy I was about 35 pounds overweight to begin with and didn't want to gain 32 pounds again. I went on to a similar program to my fitness pal and stuck with it throughout the pregnancy, I only gained 18 pounds and my baby was over 9 pounds and perfectly healthy! This system will work great for you, just stick with it, don't be too hard on yourself. Saltines and a glass of water worked great for me,; hope the morning sickness passes for you soon.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Talk to your midwife or OB and see what they can give you to help with the morning sickness. In the mean time try mommy pops. I found them at the maternity store in my mall and they worked wonders for me, but you may need something stronger.
    Also, your midwife/OB may be able to help you with a good nutrition plan. Just remember that you are supposed to eat more.
    Finally, do what you can to stay active. Again, consult with your doc first :) Hope the morning sickness passes soon.
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP! Getting pregnant is ALWAYS a surprise. Whether you've been trying for a year or it happens after one night those two pink lines are always shocking. Truthfully, even for a woman without any health issues and a normal cycle only has about a 20% chance of getting pregnant every cycle and the window of time for fertilization is roughly 2-7 days. So yes...A huge surprise, whether it be a joyous one of a scary one or both.

My OB told me to eat as normally as I could the first tri (because of the morning sickness) and I shouldn't gain more than 5 lbs(1st tri). He told me not too restrict too much (so eat more at maintenance) and maybe even add around 300 calories. He did tell me little to no caffeine and watch sodium and sugar (to watch out for gestational diabetes and pre eclampsia). He gave a me a booklet about what I should eat while pregnant and prescribed a vitamin. I'm sure your doctor would have the same sort of information if you asked.

I wish I had stayed on MFP while pregnant but I was terrified. I had lost 30lbs and finally got pregnant after 9 months of trying and I was scared to death to mess it up. I ended up gaining around 45lbs during the pregnancy (but I had no complications and was able to deliver naturally) instead of the 25 my doctor suggested. I am just now (10 months later) 3lbs away from my pre pregnancy weight and it's taken a lot of blood, sweat, and tears (not to mention time and motivation) to get back here. I hope that if I am ever lucky enough to have another child I have another healthy pregnancy but this time I'd prefer to keep my weight under control.

I'd make a doctors appointment as soon as you can. You can usually detect the heartbeat around 6 to 8 weeks anyway which is always wonderful to see and/or hear. Have a happy and healthy 9 months!
  • x0Julez0x310
    Options
    Congrats! My doctor was the one who told me about my MFP- maybe ur OB may have some insight on how to use this toward your pregnancy? Or about how many calories you should be intaking?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Unplanned and unexpected? Could you elaborate? I mean, surely you had intercourse and are aware that no form of birth control (if you were using it) is 100% effective, yes?

Maybe she doesn't want to elaborate...she doesn't owe you or anyone else an explanation.

I have a friend who got pregnant after her husband had a vasectomy -- surprise.
    I have another friend who got pregnant because of a rape -- surprise.
    I have a cousin who was told she could never get pregnant because of severe endometriosis. After 4 years of unprotected sex with her husband, got pregnant -- surprise.

Sheesh...what an *kitten*.... :angry:

Anyway, OP, lots of good advice on this thread. As others have said, find an OB, discuss your nutritional needs with him/her. Try to get plenty of protein and fluids. Start taking prenatal vitamins asap...especially for the folic acid! Very important! Morning sickness is different for everyone. For my first, anything ginger helped a lot -- ginger ale, ginger biscuits, ginger candy. For my second, ginger did nothing, but lemon was my best friend. Try to keep something in your stomach at all times...that definitely helps.

Good luck and congratulations!