Starting Today!

Options
Hello everyone! Today is my first day with My Fitness Pal.
For the past month I've been trying to eat better and watch my intake and count everything. I've been writing in a notebook and i have to remember at the end of the day what I ate. To be honest it was a bit overwhelming and I was getting frustrated.

To tell you a bit about me...a month ago I decided I needed to drop 40 lbs. I have a horse who is 6 months old. I wont be riding him till he is 2.5-3 yrs old, but I certainly don't want to get on him at 190lbs. So since I never found a reason big enough before to loose the weight (not my past horse who carted me around cross country courses, not my wedding, not to just feel better), Sebastian (my colt) is my inspiration.

I want to wear cute jeans and a white tee and feel fabulous.

So the change began. On September 14th I decided to make a change. I quit Pepsi. I used to drink 6-8 cans of pepsi a day. And I frequently went to fast food resurants and ate all the bad stuff.

In the past month I've lost almost 10 lbs (depends on when I weigh myself).

My goal is to be 150lbs. I don't have a time scheudle, I just want it gone!

To be honest, just writing this down here has made me feel better. I have talked about this with anyone and have never told anyone my weight...wow...feel lighter already! lol.

So - I hope to gain knowledge and strenght from all of you.
And here's to helping eachother on this journey!

Replies

• gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Its so much easier when you have support! Welcome to MFP, and you'll be at your goal before you know it!!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Its nice being able to have the computer do the calculations for you. You are going to do great!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have been on MFP for a few weeks now and I think it is the smartest thing I have ever done. I was using a paper journal and was so frustrated,but now that I am on MFP I love logging in and seeing the foods(beer) that are keeping me heavy!
    I have lost 1lb. a week since joining and I am fine with that because I don't want loose skin.
    Congratulations on your decision to be healthy-And the new Pony!:flowerforyou:
  • icingqueen
    Options
    Welcome on board! You have clear goals so i'm sure you'll do great x
  • You will love this program Its addicting and It makes eating healthy easy. GOOD LUCK!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    That is a fantastic reason for fat loss - your colt!
    It will also be a good thing for you too, of course!:happy:

Good luck!
  • BK120
    BK120 Posts: 107
    Options
    Welcome to MFP/ Technology has made weight loss easy and a lot cheaper than going to one of those weight loss centers. I love horses as well, though I never have owned one and never will.

You will be surprised how much easier this is and you will see results soon. Feel free to add me as a friend so we can support each other.
  • kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    Options
    With a little support and some determination you can do!
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    This site really is an addiction once you get into it. I love, love, love it! The friends you make on here will be so supportive and motivating. Good luck with your journey!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    You are very similar to myself. :flowerforyou: I was at 192 lbs. and now am down to 177 since I
    started this program. You will be inspired and motivated. My goal weight is
    145-150 lbs. and I am doing this for health reasons. Everything else will fall
    into place. As I was reading your blurp it was exactly like myself. I hope
    we can do this together.
    Good Luck on your journey.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Suggestion.... Be careful on quiting anything cold turkey! The body knows this and will fight it at some point.speaking from experiance! Takes 21 days to make a habit. It's a healthy lifestyle commitment you should be striving for and not just to lose a certain number of lbs.
    Once you hit your goal, will put it all back on if you don't continue that lifestyle. Took awhile to put on the weight,should take you at least that much time to lose it. In order to do this change to healthy lifestyle and continue to eat this way the rest of your life. Good Luck!:wink:
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I do think this is one of the best sites for losing weight. As you begin to construct your meals, fumble through the site, and see the pounds fall off your body, the site will become easier to use. The site has a well documented food database, but every now and again you might come across an item not listed. You'll have to find a comparable item; and if the nutrition table is listed on the package, you might have to enter it into the program. I've only had to do this a couple of times, and I've been on the site since June. So, with all that said, I hope that you meet your weight loss goals, and it was nice meeting. Good luck.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP family, and thank you for the friend request! There is so much support and motivation here. I highly recommend combing through the boards and finding a challenge or update post to keep you accountable and on track. It's so much easier to do if you've got a group of friends on here tracking together and invested in your success as much as you are invested in theirs. Seeing others succeed will also help you through those tough days.

As for food suggestions or typical days, keep your food diary open! Loads of people on here are SO helpful with nutritional advice and recipe ideas. Also, check the recipe section. Although there are many recipes uploaded that are low cal, but not very healthy (processed foods, high sodium, lots of treats) there are also lots of great high fiber, vegetable and lean meat rich dishes that you play around with. If you're interested in cooking more often and experimenting, join a cooking challenge on the boards too :bigsmile:

I keep my diary open to friends, so feel free to check me out. And ask away if you have any specific questions. Best of luck!!
    -Meag
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Oh and here's tip: Always weigh yourself at the same time every week! Same day, and same time of day. Your weight fluctuates throughout the day and seeing a weight gain due to fueling or water retention can be a HUGE bummer, and often leads to emotional eating. Steer clear of this to stay motivated and track your progress accordingly. You're going to do amazing!