Pumpkin Recipes

Options
Hbazzell
Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
Well it is Fall and there are pumpkins everywhere at the grocery store. I really want to make some pumpkin soup or other pumpkin foods but I have never cooked a pumpkin before. What are your recipes? I am looking for vegetarian and low carb if possible. Thanks!

Replies

• wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    No ideas here, but I saw pumpkin at the store today and wondered the same thing!
  • CRC431
    CRC431 Posts: 2
    Options
    I found a recipe in a magazine at my nutritionists office that I thought sounded wonderful. I haven't made it yet, so I can't offer an actual opinion...
    1 1 oz pkg sugar free vanilla pudding
    1 tsp grnd cinnamon
    1/2 tsp grnd ginger
    1/4 tsp grnd nutmeg
    1 1/2 C cold 1% milk
    1 C pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
    1 C fat-free whipped topping
    3 ginger snaps, crushed
    2 Tbsp finely chopped crystallized ginger

In large bowl whisk dry pudding mix, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Slowly whisk in the milk, whisking for 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin and continue to whisk until mixture begins to set. Fold in the whipped topping, Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

For each serving, put 1/4 cup if the pumpkin mousse into desert cups. Add a layer of gingersnap crumbs. Add another 1/4 C of mousse. Sprinkle the top of each with 1 tsp of crystallized ginger.

Cal. 105
    Fat 1g
    Cholesterol 5 mg
    Carbs 21g
    Fiber 2g
    Sugar 12g
    Protein 3g
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    That dessert sounds to die for!!! Not too bad for a splurge either. I love gingersnaps! One of my faves.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    you may have just created a monster! Holy pumplins batman!!!
  • bananasyousay
    Options
    There are a lot of great pumpkin recipes out there. Go on skinnytaste.com or chocolatecoveredkatie.com for some great ones. Pumpkin is really versatile. You can add it to overnight oats, make it into soup (as you said), make muffins, bread, pancakes, cookies, scones, granola, and even smoothies. Type in "Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie" on google. The fifth link is the one you want.
  • Pranavision
    Options
    Delicious and Healthy Pumpkin Stew!! Highly recommend.

http://www.wholeliving.com/130727/pumpkin-white-beans
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I made these last night:

1 box Pillsbury Perfectly Pumpkin Cake Mix
    1 can of pumpkin pure

Compbine until moist, bake as cupcakes (12) per the package instructions. 145 calories. Yum.
  • samedame
    Options
    I like to sautee onions in a touch of olive oil, then add water and chicken bullion, then stir in pureed (or roasted) pumpkin until it becomes thick. Add some cumin and a spoon full of chobani for sour cream on top. This is very filling and so good.

Oven roasted pumpkin is good, I like to put strips of raw bacon on the bottom of the pan and then bits of pumpkin and perhaps some orange slices on top. Roast until soft and brown on the edges, about an hour. Meanwhile, cook up some 7 grain (like kashi whole grain) and sprinkle it on top of the roasted pumpkin and you have a full meal. To make it vegetarian, skip the raw bacon and toss with some olive oil and salt instead.

For dessert, take the pumpkin pie recipe and replace sugar with stevia and fat free condensed milk, then put it in casserole dish NO CRUST and it comes out like the inside of the pie and it is super low calorie, you can put some of the fat free/sugar free whipped topping on it if you want. Or, if you want it a little richer, use the regular condensed milk but keep the stevia. Sometimes too many substitutions lessens flavor or texture.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mere_Dith
    Mere_Dith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Curried Pumpkin Soup - I used soy milk instead of the milk and omitted the cream and it came out delicious.

Ingredients:
    1/3 Cup chopped onion
    1 tsp. minced garlic
    1 tsp. curry powder
    2 tbsp butter or margarine
    1 cup pureed pumpkin (or about 1/2 can of pumpkin)
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/8 tsp. sugar
    2 cups veggie broth (or can use chicken broth)
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1 tbsp cornstarch or arrow root or tapioca powder (use as thickening agent)
    2 tbsp heavy cream (optional)
    chopped chives (as decoration)
    3. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil.
    4. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
    5. Take out the bay leaf.
    6. Stir in 1 cup of the milk and cook over low heat for a few minutes.
    7. In another bowl, stir together the remaining milk and the cornstarch until dissolved, then add it to the pan.
    8. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
    9. Cook a couple more minutes.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    In for ALL OF THE PUMPKIN THINGS. ::makes om nom nom noises with mouth::
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brenz1958
    brenz1958 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If we don't put the ginger snap cookies in would it lower the sugar content?:flowerforyou:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Homemade Pumpkin Puree:
    (skinnytaste.com)

-2 pie Pumpkins (or Butternut Squash) 1.5 oz each

Preheat oven to 350

Cut tops off of pumpkins and quarter. Scoop out seeds (save them to roast!).

Put pumpkin pieces on baking sheet and roast 40-50 minutes or until flesh is soft (poke with fork). Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle. Remove skin and discard. Put pumpkin pieces in blender or food processor and puree until smooth (add water if needed as you go, 1 TBSP at a time).

Use up with in 7 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
  • dekmom33
    dekmom33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hungrygirl.com She uses pumpkin all the time for lots of different recipes!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Yes! Love pumpkin! Thanks for the great recipes everyone :)

I recently made a pumpkin smoothie:
    1/2 c pureed pumpkin
    1 banana
    ice cubes
    pumpkin pie spice
    cinnamon
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 tsp brown sugar

Was pretty tasty! Enjoy :)
  • wuhbecky
    Options
    I'll see if I can find my pumpkin muffin recipe!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I love Pumpkin try Snack Girl .com she is great.