High Fructose Syrup in EVERYTHING!!

Options
cardbucfan
cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
I'm usually really good at reading lables and not buying anything with high fructose corn syrup (much to my kids dismay-no more Hershey's syrup for them!). So, I was entering my chili recipe in the recipe calculator and imagine my surprise when I discover that the KIDNEY BEANS have HFCS!!! I'm taking them back to Publix tomorrow-luckily I have some Goya in the pantry that doesn't have it. The stuff is insidious!

Replies

• briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It is and it's frustrating! I have to read the label on everything before i put it into my cart! The one time I forget to is the time I buy something w/ HFCS in it... usually there's an alternative on the same shelf... even Cinnamon flavored applesauce has it! wth!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yes it is in a lot of foods...got to be real careful. Of course once in a while isn't going to harm anything but good to keep it out of the foods you buy at least.

I find it to be in a lot of fat free and low fat items...seems them try to replace the fat/taste with something else.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    That's the way the corn producers want it - more profit for them. Soon the labels won't say HFCS, it will say "corn sugar".

BTW, there are some chili beans and tomato sauces that have it. I've seen it in bread, too.
  • karins4
    karins4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It is and it's frustrating! I have to read the label on everything before i put it into my cart! The one time I forget to is the time I buy something w/ HFCS in it... usually there's an alternative on the same shelf... even Cinnamon flavored applesauce has it! wth!

I was so upset when I saw that Cinnamon applesauce had HFCS, I think even the sweetend no Cinnamon applesauce has it too so I started buying the unsweetend applesauce cups and putting my own cinnamon in it. A lot less calories that way too, only 45-50 cal instead of the 100 calories for the store bought Cinnamon flavor one.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    yeah, I have to buy the all natural applesauce. i buy it for my kids and my son loves cinnamon in his, so i just add it in.

also found it in Graham Crackers! I currently have some with it, but I'm going to have to just pay closer attention from now on - never would've thought it was in graham crackers.... ugh!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm usually really good at reading lables and not buying anything with high fructose corn syrup (much to my kids dismay-no more Hershey's syrup for them!). So, I was entering my chili recipe in the recipe calculator and imagine my surprise when I discover that the KIDNEY BEANS have HFCS!!! I'm taking them back to Publix tomorrow-luckily I have some Goya in the pantry that doesn't have it. The stuff is insidious!

Plus, canned beans have a lot of added sodium, generally. That's why I buy dry in bulk and use them instead.
  • toniz63
    toniz63 Posts: 13
    Options
    The truth about High Fructoses Corn syrup is that it is just like sugar in your body. It's processed the same way and your body doesn't know the difference. As long as you are able to keep track of your intake it is just like cane sugar. The problem with it is that, as you discovered, it is sometimes found in foods you don't expect to have a sweetener. Additionally, there are many different names for it so you don't always know that you are eating corn syrup. To properly track your HFCS intake you should read your labels and not purchase anything with more than 5-6 ingredients and nothing that has a list of ingredients that you cannot pronounce.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The hardest is bread - almost every brand, (with the exception of organic) has it.

@toniz63 Many health professionals, including Dr. Wiel believe it's horrible for you and is linked to diabetes. I don't find this a coincidence. Yes, it's made from corn, but it's the process which it's made that is harmful.

Anything is fine in moderation, but when you find HFCS in food staples like kidney beans & bread, that is where the real problem lies. As a society, we're not getting it in moderation. Even people who want to eat healthy have to try really, really hard to avoid it. And I for one don't believe that this kind of processed ingredient is the same as cane sugar.

It's cheaper to produce than sugar - it's as simple as that as to why companies are using it. Not because it's healthier or better tasting.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    The truth about High Fructoses Corn syrup is that it is just like sugar in your body. It's processed the same way and your body doesn't know the difference. As long as you are able to keep track of your intake it is just like cane sugar. The problem with it is that, as you discovered, it is sometimes found in foods you don't expect to have a sweetener. Additionally, there are many different names for it so you don't always know that you are eating corn syrup. To properly track your HFCS intake you should read your labels and not purchase anything with more than 5-6 ingredients and nothing that has a list of ingredients that you cannot pronounce.

That is what Con Agra and all the other corn producing companies want you to think.

The stuff is addictive, just like CRACK!!

The agenda of the government, all of these medical associations, Big Pharma and the Corn Council want to keep America fat and unhealthy.....................
  • Grokette
    Options
    The hardest is bread - almost every brand, (with the exception of organic) has it.

@toniz63 Many health professionals, including Dr. Wiel believe it's horrible for you and is linked to diabetes. I don't find this a coincidence. Yes, it's made from corn, but it's the process which it's made that is harmful.

Anything is fine in moderation, but when you find HFCS in food staples like kidney beans & bread, that is where the real problem lies. As a society, we're not getting it in moderation. Even people who want to eat healthy have to try really, really hard to avoid it. And I for one don't believe that this kind of processed ingredient is the same as cane sugar.

It's cheaper to produce than sugar - it's as simple as that as to why companies are using it. Not because it's healthier or better tasting.

Very true!!

I don't allow the FDA, USDA or the Corn Council to lie to me...............

My house has very few "shelf life" items in it. Most of those items are canned by ME, so I know what is in it.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options

I have found that Nature's Own breads (even the non-organic ones) don't have HFCS in them. They also now have honey wheat hamburger and hot dog buns without it and our Sam's club carries the bread (but not the buns). I try really hard to limit it in what I buy and try to use as little prepared stuff as I can but as a busy mom, sometimes it's just not gonna happen-I can't make everything from scratch!
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Check out this link - it gives you list of products with no HFCS

http://highfructosehigh.com/no-hfcs/
  • Grokette
    Options

I have found that Nature's Own breads (even the non-organic ones) don't have HFCS in them. They also now have honey wheat hamburger and hot dog buns without it and our Sam's club carries the bread (but not the buns). I try really hard to limit it in what I buy and try to use as little prepared stuff as I can but as a busy mom, sometimes it's just not gonna happen-I can't make everything from scratch!

My Sunday's are spent preparing foods for the week................bake bread for hubby and muffins he might want. We freeze what won't be eaten in indvivdual baggies and then he can grab and go...........

Prepare and wash fresh fruits and veggies.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You know what the crazy thing is?? Every time I go to the market, the nature's own bread is totally out. I once left them a post it note that read: "The ONLY bread in this entire story without HFCS is sold out. Take the hint!!"
  • jillybillygoat
    jillybillygoat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Nature's Pride doesn't have HFCS either. Just an fyi for those that avoid it. I personally love the multi-grain.