Winter farm veggies

Options
live2dream
live2dream Posts: 614 Member
I have been getting veggies from a CSA all summer- absolutely LOVE it! But it's been hard getting used to all the new types of veggies and trying to use them up.- AND trying to make some sort of meal of of it all!

This week, I got Arugula, Kohlrabi, Sweet Dumpling Squash, Purple Potatoes, Butternut Squash, Dill, Spinach, Purple Top Turnips, & Mixed Peppers. And I still have radishes, carrots, onions, garlic, & beets from last week!

Any ideas on recipes? Especially squash- I've accumulated almost 10 squashes now. Hubby doesn't like baked squash. I was thinking of making some soup with it, but not sure what else to make with it.

Replies

• christina1109
    Options
    Use the power of Google. You can find TONS of recipes by just putting in whatever you have. You can do sautees or mashes with the squash depending on the consistency of it's flesh.
  • I would also like to know how to make a butternut squash YUMMY!
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Kohlrabi with White Sauce

Ingredients
    4 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and cubed
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup milk
    3 tablespoons cream
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
    Directions
    1.Place the kohlrabi and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a saucepan. Cover with water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until kohlrabi can be pierced with a fork, but remains firm, about 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking water. Place kohlrabi in a bowl, and cover.
    2.Place the butter into the same saucepan, and melt over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and golden brown. Gradually whisk the milk and reserved cooking water from the kohlrabi into the flour mixture, stirring until thick and smooth. Stir in the cream, 1 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, white pepper, and parsley until well blended. Continue whisking until sauce thickens, then cook 10 minutes more. Stir in the kohlrabi, tossing to coat evenly with sauce.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 91 | Total Fat: 5.8g | Cholesterol: 18mg

You should check out this site http://www.supercook.com/ you can enter ingredients you already have on hand and it will give a list of recipes you can make.
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    You can make soup with Butternut Squash! Google it and ton's of recipes should come up! Most of my other Squash I like to put in a pan with a drizzle of olive Oil, some Marjoram and Savory... Mmmmm I can eat that as a meal itself.

Another great idea and my WHOLE family loves it for the other veggies is kind of like a stir fry, I cook up some rice in my rice cooker and chop then carmalize some veggies in Olive oil, for instance I'll use Peppers, onions, mushrooms, squash, I'll boil some carrots (till tender) I'll add a meat, like spam (I know, I know the mystery meat) but it really is amazing in this dish, which I'm sure you could substitute with any other meat if you'd prefer. I chop it into bite size pieces add it into the veggies, simmer a little, which is a meal in itself that's how I eat it. My husband likes when I serve his with rice though. So if I add rice, I'll add half of the rice pot into a pan mix in some soy sauce then stir in the rest of the rice and vegetable meat mixture!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe I've been meaning to try for two weeks now. It sounds yummy! It also had the following nutritional value:

Serves 4
    Serving size 1 1/2 cups
    Calories: 295
    Total fat: 6.5 g
    Monounsaturated fat: 3 g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 2 g
    Saturated fat: 1g
    Protein: 12g
    Carb: 56g
    Fiber: 7.5 g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 415mg

VERY nutritious! :)

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
    2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
    One 2 1/2 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
    6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
    1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons curry powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
    2 tablespoons honey
    4 teaspoons plain non-fat yogurt, for garnish

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the squash, broth, curry powder, and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the soup from the heat, stir in the honey, and puree until smooth in the pot using an immersion blender or in two batches in a regular blender. Taste and season with salt, if necessary.

To serve, ladle the soup into serving bowls and drizzle with the yogurt.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! :)