5k walk/run after injuries: how should i train

Options
Hello,
About a year ago I starting doing 5ks as a way to keep me motivated to exercise. While I originally ran the whole way, I started completing the races by part walking/part running. Over the last 6 month I got sidetracked due to a couple of injuries (first runners knee and then two pinched vertebra in my back due to ergonomic issues at the office). I have had asthma since I was a teenager and early on was told not to run by doctors (as my health improved this recommendation was changed) so that can sometimes affect how much I run in a race/how long.

Long story short I just competed in two 5k races this summer (one with my dog and the other solo) and finished at around 48-50 minutes (48 being my best time). My question is this: since I am not a full runner yet and I do not want to risk re-injury what are some ways I can work out to rebuild my stamina and work myself into completing these races in a faster time (and possibly getting to the point where I can run for most or all of the race). I do work out at the gym a couple of weeks and alternate with outdoor exercise (running/walking with my dog). What would be the best way to train without risking re-injury? Should I incorporate weights into my routine? What body areas should I be focusing on to help me improve? Any help would be much appreciated. I just completed a 5k a week ago (48 minutes) and am planning my next one for Thanksgiving morning.

Replies

• serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Anyone? BUMP
  • jenniferleehenson
    Options
    I have been competing in 5Ks to help keep me motivated too. I am not to the point of running the entire thing but finished my last one in 38 minutes. I have another one coming up in 2 weeks and have not done any exercising in 2-3 weeks. The main thing I do to get ready is just practice run/walk the distance 3-4 times per week, trying to decrease my time each day.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the Couch to 5K app that you can download for your phone. It is a walk/run program that starts with small run intervals that slowly increase over the weeks until you can run a full 30 minutes at the end. It's gradual to deter injuries and if you search it through the forums here you will find a ton of people posting about their experience and successes with the program. Good luck in your running! :-)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    The only way to build stamina is to go out and run more miles.

though if you have had knee problems, make sure your footwear game is correct. If you haven't been fitted at a running store, do so. Most leg (knees, shin splints, calf pain) problems are caused by either incorrect shoes, or incorrect form.

Do not run fast at first. Your pace should be one where you can easily carry on a conversation. Once you build up your aerobic base, you can start to worry about speed.
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. I will be following up on all of these.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the excellent advice above...

I have found that strength training (I do body weight strength training) has helped my running. AND making the muscles in my legs stronger has taken a lot of pressure off my knees, which has made running much more comfortable for me.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The only way to build stamina is to go out and run more

I have to disagree. It is one way but not the only way. As someone else mentioned, weight training can help but make sure the right exercises are done correctly.

I started to do a lot of cycling and swimming which have improved my running by 20%. They are low impact and it's easy to run one day and cycle the next while it might be hard and even a bad idea for a new runner to go out and run 2 days in a row.