Fluid Retention

Options
What is a good way to decrease fluid retention...Especially if its not that time of month? I've noticed I retain a lot in my feet and ankles and dont know why? I dont drink sodas anymore so I know that cant be it....Help me out on this one MFP:indifferent:

Replies

• Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting in all your water 8-12 glasses of 8oz of water. B complex vitamins can also help somewhat. It is best to take it first thing in the morning, or you will be up all night! :laugh:
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Too much salt can cause you to retain fluid. You should consume more than 2300 mg daily, but best to stay closer to 1500 mg daily.

Check you salt intake....if you salt is under control, then you may need to see a doctor

Also, believe it or not, not drinking enough water, causes the body to retain water. So ensure you are drinking atleast 8 glases of water daily, and more if you are working out
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    MORE fluid, specifically water!

I find that fruit (oranges, pears etc) really help too.

Watch your sodium intake. If you don't track it in your food diary already, adjust the settings. Sodium is in almost EVERYTHING. It's really good to keep an eye on it.
  • sweetg1222
    Options
    I went over my sodium a few weeks ago and gained 4 pounds of water. I just started drinking more water an the water weight came off. It took a few days but it did help. Now i am up to drinking 3 liters (abouut 12 glasses) of water a day. Hope this helps. The only other way i have seen pepole get water weight off is by taking medication if it is a medical reason that you retaining water. Have a blessed day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Yep, sodium. I went WAY over on Monday and held on to 3 lbs of water by Tuesday. Drank about 1.5 times the amount of water I normally drink and flushed it all out by today. :)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If you are going over your sodium limit each day and not getting enough fluids, you will retain water. Work hard to keep your sodium intake under 2500 mg (not easy I know...but it can be done because I have to do it) and make sure to get those 8 glasses of water each day! It will help! If you continue to have edema, you should check with your doctor. Do you have hypertension or a family history of hypertension?

Hope this helps! Good luck with your journey! :)
  • InsanlyIrene
    Options
    My tips:

- Watch your sodium intake
    - Drink at least 8 glasses of water (more is always good)
    - Drink Nettle tea that helps a lot!
    - MOVE your body, other words exercise, working out makes you sweat, sweating gets rid of nasty toxins in the body.

Hope that helps :)
  • Nikki135
    Options
    I have a problem with fluid retention also. I find that drinking lots of water (8-12/ 8 oz. glasses a day) really helps. Magnesium and B-complex vitamins work well too. I also use dried parsley flakes in some of the foods that I prepare. Hope this helps ya;-)Good Luck!!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If all doesn't work see a Dr you could have kidney problems
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Add Sodium as a Nutrient to Track. Reduce your Daily Sodium Intake to UNDER 2000mg to start, then aim for 1700-1800. Drinking water only helps a limited amount. When You find ways to reduce the sodium and nitrites that you take in your body, edema, retention and swelling will significantly reduce or go away. But there has to be a commitment just like with eating less calories because HIGH Salt/Sodium is in most everything and more so in Low Calorie foods...they drop the fat and/or sugar and increase salt, so you must be committed to a lower sodium eating plan.
  • thiick2fit10
    thiick2fit10 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody all your information has been very helpful and I can see where my problem may lie...No i dont have hypertension issues thank God....but I do have a problem with going over my Sodium intake and not drinking enough water...I have for the last 3 weeks been working out like crazy but still my water intake hasnt been good so I am going to take everyone's advice and make these changes...Hopefully it will show next week on the scale =)