Anyone know how to get skinny legs?

Options
A few years back, I injured my knee by dislocating it in marching band.
Needless to say weight was gained by not being able to move. Still a work in progress.

But I miss my chicken legs, and I am wondering what sort of workout/exercise I could do to get them back.
My thighs became massive after the accident, and I just don't know what to do.

Thanks!

First time posting, so I'm so so sorry if this is in the wrong place :)

Replies

• NeonHeartz444
    Options
    Lots of cardio, and also you can't spot reduce.. :)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    The exercises you do will depend on what your knee can handle. I work my legs a lot, and they will never be skinny. I'm 5'3", so that's just not in the cards. For me, I like running, speed walking, weights, plyometrics and dance. Running has been the hardest on the knees. good luck
  • gogochariots
    Options
    I usually workout with a knee brace just to be safe :) One of those super duty ones haha. The only thing that still makes me nervous are lunges.
    But I will try out running :)
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    skip leg day at the gym.

also make sure all your cardio is upper body based.

you cant spot reduce fat but you can lose muscle in those areas. larger people would have bigger leg muscles as they are carrying the extra weight around. if you drop the weight but not keep legs active, the legs will shrink also
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Just run. It's amazing how quickly your legs will change size/shape. I started C25K in April, got serious the end of June, have my first race the end of this month. My calves when I started were 16 inches, I've trimmed them to 14. My thighs are the same size but they don't LOOK like they used to.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    skip leg day at the gym.

you cant spot reduce fat but you can lose muscle in those areas. larger people would have bigger leg muscles as they are carrying the extra weight around. if you drop the weight but not keep legs active, the legs will shrink also

:huh:
  • zorbaru
    Options
    have a look at the legs of people in wheelchairs. its an extreme case but they are virtually skin and bone.

the less you use the legs the skinnier they will be.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    skip leg day at the gym.

every word of this is consistently bad advice
    have a look at the legs of people in wheelchairs. its an extreme case but they are virtually skin and bone.

but perhaps you're trolling the OP. carry on.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Firstly, how's your diet? If you're taking in more calories then you consume then yes, you'll gain weight.

Running is probably the hardest thing you can do for your joints. That said, I wouldn't recommend it. Find a way to be active that doesn't bother your knee and that you'll enjoy doing and therefore will stick with it. If you eat the right amount of good calories and get active you'll get those legs back.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You can't spot-reduce, but you can reduce body fat through eating well and you can get your leg muscles toned through squats and pilates. You may never have the same legs you did before your accident, but with work you can get your legs strong again.
  • zorbaru
    Options
    skip leg day at the gym.

i never said it was good advice, but the question was simply how to get skinny legs. this will most likely work.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Your legs will slim down and become more fit as you lose weight and exercise. Walk, ride a bike, and take a yoga class. Also do leg strengthening exercises to help build muscles that can support your knee joint. As your body weight drops, your knee will have less stress and you will be able to move more. I know this because I also have a bad knee.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    skip leg day at the gym.

My standard advice here is usually: "slip into a coma for 6 months"

I think you'll be really pleased with the muscle-wasting effects, OP!

But a wheelchair will work, too. Just stop using you legs for a good couple of months......
  • AlainaSantiago
    Options
    Go to Walmart in the exercise section and get 2 waist trimmer belts (they make you sweat off water weight) wrap them around your thighs and go to youtube and find a good cardio workout and just try to do that every night before bed and you thighs should be shrinking in no time
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Eat a deficit and give it time.
  • zorbaru
    Options
    skip leg day at the gym.

My standard advice here is usually: "slip into a coma for 6 months"

I think you'll be really pleased with the muscle-wasting effects, OP!

But a wheelchair will work, too. Just stop using you legs for a good couple of months......

coma wont work as he still wants upper body
  • MsCJ1972
    Options
    Losing weight plus exercise (zumba, fast walks) works for me. My weight had crept to 12 stone and its now going down, my legs are definitely getting slimmer.

Think strength training would bulk up the muscle so wouldn't do that.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I'd leave the thinking to someone else if I were you. You've made a classic mistake. Strength training =/= muscle building.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I'd leave the thinking to someone else if I were you. You've made a classic mistake. Strength training =/= muscle building.

Yep^^^

You need to do much more than strength training to "bulk", and there's the whole female thing....
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Lots of cardio, and also you can't spot reduce.. :)

Dial in your diet and strength train, you'll end up with legs that look better than "skinny"