Ideas for Oatmeal Toppings?

Options

Replies

• phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this link the other day, and I have a whole assembly planned for this weekend. Lots of great combo ideas: http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Oatmeal_Packets
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    fried egg
    onions and mushrooms and green peppers
    cook in chicken broth and throw some carrots and chicken in

Right on! I'm a fan of caramelized onions, curry powder, and raisins
    Also, olive oil, cheddar, and sea salt/black pepper

Here are some good savory recipes: http://www.thekitchn.com/rethinking-oatmeal-7-savory-morning-recipes-177491

Here's a yummy oatmeal casserole recipe with soy chorizo that I've made and thought was delish: http://nutsoveroats.com/2012/12/11/soy-chorizo-oatmeal-casserole/
  • chablahblah
    Options
    CANNED PUMPKIN WITH CINNAMON, NUTMEG, TRUVIA ... TASTES LIKE A PUMPKIN PIE
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bump for all the great suggestions! :smile:
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    i add peanut butter and brown sugar all the time. I put nutella or jelly in it too. Banana goes pretty well with any of those. Raspberry and nutella is pretty awesome. honestly I just throw in anything I have on had. If you really want to shake things up then make overnight oats. Put your oats in some yogurt and milk overnight and they get all soft and wonderful. and you can add anything you want to that too.
  • newdoda
    newdoda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've done honey and walnuts, honey, yogurt and cinnamon, protein powder, just about any fruit, coco and I have even done cucumbers:)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Raisins - cook them with the oatmeal so that they plump up. Bananas, strawberries or blueberries are good too. Try maple syrup instead of brown sugar for a different kick.
    Yeah!!! Maple syrup - the real stuff!! Oh yummy!
  • dizzow
    dizzow Posts: 65
    Options
    I love all the new ideas! I like chopped apples and walnuts, or banana and walnuts. Protein powder and whatever sounds good with it. I wondered if anyone had tried making the steel cut oats in the crock pot overnight. The stuff takes FOR-EVER on the stove.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Almond milk Chia seeds Hemp seeds PB2 and blueberries and some time chopped walnuts
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I love all the new ideas! I like chopped apples and walnuts, or banana and walnuts. Protein powder and whatever sounds good with it. I wondered if anyone had tried making the steel cut oats in the crock pot overnight. The stuff takes FOR-EVER on the stove.

My understanding is that they come out really great in the crockpot.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    I like my cooked oats savory, so typically one or more of the following
    fried or poached egg
    a little butter or olive oil
    grated parmesan or other mild cheese
    almonds
    cooked beans or veggies (greens, usually)

I saw someone say caramelized onions above. I hadn't thought of that, but it sounds like a great topping. Maybe I'll try the peanut butter, too, because I eat one that doesn't have sugar (personal taste preference), so that would be savory for me. Hmm, I wonder how tahini would be, or almond butter, or spicy peanut sauce (like the kind that comes on cold noodles in Chinese cooking) ....

I save the sweet toppings for raw oats, usually plain yogurt and fresh or dried fruit, nuts, maybe some honey.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    fried egg
    onions and mushrooms and green peppers
    cook in chicken broth and throw some carrots and chicken in
    I love eating leftovers for breakfast. And also love oatmeal.

So when I came across these savory oatmeal dishes, well, I was intrigued. maybe I'll try some this weekend. anyone else gamed ?
    http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/16-savory-oatmeal-recipes/slide/1
  • gayleanne57
    Options
    I am hooked on the overnight oatmeal with peanut butter and banana with chia seeds and honey. Could have this for breakfast and lunch.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I have been buying regular rolled oats for a while now and lately I have been adding 2tbsp peanut butter and some brown sugar. Any other ideas?

I buy steel cut oats (Bob's Red Mill) because I like the nutty flavor, plus the texture is better to me. I recently discovered I can get 4 for the price of 2 sold in the grocery store if I order them from Amazon (4 24-oz packs). I chop up an apple and add that after I cook the oats (I don't cook the apple). I've also chopped up a pear but prefer apple.
  • jennjychung
    jennjychung Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    cinnamon, apple slices, sliced almonds
  • newdoda
    newdoda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has already been posted but I just did the Oatmeal with a little organic vanilla, Diamond Breeze Almond and Coconut milk ( 0 sugar) and half a cooked sweet potato:) mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm really good!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    15g oats
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    50g berries
    Splenda or other to sweeten!!!
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    just a tsp of jelly (flavor varies) but it only adds 50cals
  • laceyr89
    Options
    Unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia, cinnamon, ginger, protein powder, pumpkin puree, fruit (apples, berries, bananas are my fav), flaxseed, chia seeds, coconut oil, unsweetened coconut flakes, grated zucchini (adds volume, you can't taste it!), egg whites, nut butters, any extracts, honey, greek yogurt

I eat oats every morning and never get bored!! Now I could go for a bowl....