Can chili be made wirth REAL ground beef and be good for you

Options
I have been searching for low-cal, low-fat chili recipes...made with real ground beef. I have a little over a pound of it ready to cook...and I want chili...but I also want to keep it as healthy as possible. Please share your recipes and the stats...i.e. calories, fat, carbs, protein, etc... THANKS!

Replies

• leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This won't be helpful for that lb of ground beef you have ready, but I use ground chicken breast in place of gb in my chili and it drastically reduces the calorie and fat content. It does not taste like beef, but it is very yummy.
    Im sure there will be someone out here that has a good beef recipe for you.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it partly depends on what type of ground beef it is. What's the percentage of fat in it?
  • lovinyoutwo
    lovinyoutwo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Some times we use deer meat, it's very lean
  • sheenmarie3
    sheenmarie3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of ground turkey!
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific recipe for you, but you can make a healthy chili with very lean ground beef (or the best option is to grind up your own beef using a very lean cut of beef), using home canned tomatoes or making your own tomato puree using fresh tomatoes (even home canned tomatoes must have salt added for preservation), using whatever type of bean you prefer (but don't buy canned beans as they have tons of sugar and sodium added), choosing your own seasonings rather than using the packaged seasoning etc. If you do everything from scratch, you will know exactly what is in the chili you are consuming and you will know it is healthy.

Blessings

Vickie
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Maybe only use half of it, and add extra veggies! I make vegetarian chilli that tasted delisuous - dont even miss the meat! good luck :)
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I substitute ground bison (buffalo) for ground beef. It's leaner than ground beef AND chicken! It's more expensive than beef, but worth it!
  • carreen
    carreen Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I always use the extra lean ground beef (96/4). It's way leaner than the ground turkey my local grocery store carries (85/15).
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I use 20% fat ground beef (less and it doesn't taste as good) and drain excess oil after browning it. Not uber low fat, but a tasteless chilli is just a waste, in my opinion :-)

Don't forget the chilli peppers will get your metabolism going for a while afterwards, so you should burn more afterwards!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I use 93% lean ground beef in mine and it's not bad fat wise. Here's the info from where I put it in here.

Per Serving:
    Calories--248
    Carbs--34
    Fat--4
    Protein--19
    Fiber--8
    Sodium--340

The recipe actually makes about 20 servings and uses 2 pounds of ground beef so you may want to cut it in half for your 1 pound. This is also pretty spicy to some people, so you may want to tone it down by cutting out the peppers and/or cutting out the crushed red pepper.

Here's the recipe:

93% lean ground beef--2 pounds
    pinto beans--1 bag
    kidney beans--1 bag
    small red beans--1 bag
    Onion--1 whole
    Jalapeño or Serrano peppers--To taste (I use about 12)
    Chili Powder--6 tablespoons
    Crushed Red Pepper--2 tablespoons
    Spaghetti Sauce--1 large can (about 32 ounces)
    Water--8 to 12 cups depending on how thick you like it
    1 cup flour
    2 cups cold water

Boil the beans until tender. (3-4 hours) Brown the ground beef with the chopped onion. In separate bowl, combine 2 cups cold water with 1 cup flour. Mix until smooth. Combine beans and meat with 8-12 cups of water. Add seasonings, peppers, and spaghetti sauce. Slowly add the flour mixture to avoid lumps. Cook on low until peppers are tender and flavors have blended.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Here's a link to the recipe I use, it calls for turkey...you'll just have to figure out the difference between ground turkey and ground beef (sorry).

It's about 213 Cals per serving
    20Carbs
    19 protein

http://www.food.com/recipe/chili-with-beans-and-ground-turkey-280886
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    1 Pound extra lean Ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup diced celery
    1 tablespoon garlic

Brown all together

add
    1 can stewed tomatos (diced)
    1 can stewed tomatos (pured)
    1 can tomato paste (small)
    3 table spoons chile powder
    1 can diced green chilis (small)

Simmer about 1 1/2 hours

Add 1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
    simmer about 1 more hour

Salt and pepper to taste.

I say it make 6 servings but they are large servings :bigsmile: (about 2 cups each)
    so if you only eat 1 cup then half the cals

Nutrition Facts

User Entered Recipe

6 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 319.8

Total Fat 16.9 g

Saturated Fat 6.5 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 1.2 g

Monounsaturated Fat 7.0 g

Cholesterol 56.7 mg

Sodium 805.3 mg

Potassium 1,042.4 mg

Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g

Dietary Fiber 7.6 g

Sugars 9.3 g

Protein 19.0 g
  • sh_smith
    Options
    I dont know what the calorie count is on this but I can tell you it's delicious:

3 lb ground turkey
    2 cans organic black beans
    2 20oz cans of organic diced tomatoes
    1-2 red peppers, diced
    1 green pepper, diced
    1-2 lg. onion, diced (depends on how much you like onions)
    4-8 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup red wine
    4 bay leaves
    4 tsp. cumin
    2 tbs. chili powder
    2 tsp. sea salt
    3 tbs. oregano
    a pinch of cayene

Ironically enough, this recipe comes from the Howard Stern show... His wife makes this for him.
  • sh_smith
    Options
    whoops, forgot the instructions:

Brown the meat in a skillet and drain. Saute the peppers and onions in canola oil in a separate pot. Add spices to the peppers and onions after they've cooked a bit.

Don't over do the veggies - they'll cook when it's all mixed.

Add tomatoes, water, red wine, bay leaves and meat to the pot & let simmer for a couple of hours if you can.

When you eat it, add some shredded cheddar to the top.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    excellent chili doesn't even require meat! we replace meat with mushrooms if anything at all! so delicious, thick and spicy. practice w/o the meat and see what you come up with.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Katiekat1182
    Katiekat1182 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bump!! These chili recipes sound delish!!
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I put TVP (textured vegetable protein) in my chili and I use it my spaghetti sauce as well. :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    bumping for recipes... and, yes, I think you can make chili with ground beef. Here's my recipe (NI calculated with ground turkey but just sub in the ground beef calories)

1 pound ground chuck
    3 cans of beans (any combo of chili beans, kidney beans, or pinto beans... or substitute 5 cups of cooked beans to decrease sodium)
    2 cans of diced tomatoes (no salt if you can find them)
    2 small cans of tomato sauce
    1 onion, diced
    1 pepper, diced (I use whatever I have, green is cheapest)
    2 T chili powder (add more to taste)
    1 t cumin (add more to taste)
    water if you want it soupier
    Oh... and I think I throw a few cloves of garlic in there too that I forgot to include in the nutrition information. Garlic makes everything better, right? :)

Cook ground beef until brown. Put in pot with everything else and heat about 30 minutes! (You can cook the onions/garlic with the meat if you want to but I have done it both ways and it doesn't seem to make a difference) This chili isn't very hot so you may want to up the spice with more chili powder or red pepper flakes. It is approximately 210 calories/cup and makes about 12 cups.

NI using 20 oz ground turkey and canned chili beans/tomatoes (regular, not no salt added): 210 calories/28 carb/16 protein/5 fat/5 fiber/796 sodium
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I make chili often in the fall/winter. I use 96% lean ground beef and dry beans (rather than canned because of all the sodium). Low cal & delicious!