Rep ranges question

Options
2»

Replies

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    This thread is blowing my mind. The OP asked which rep range is best for fat loss and people are actually trying to answer that question with numbers. Of rep ranges. Really.

Dear OP, being in a calorie deficit will help with fat loss. The rep range will make a difference that's so slight as to be insignificant. If you're enjoying your program (assuming it encompassed all the major muscle groups, then stick with it. If you'd like to make a change, feel free. Just don't make a change based on increased fat loss potential.

^this
  • Swesat
    Swesat Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks. Maybe I didn't phrase my question properly but I was basically trying to ask if certain rep ranges were better for fat loss, and my question has been answered. I understand now that my fat loss will be dependent on my calorie deficit. Thanks again!
  • MUZZAMMIL10
    Options
    5-8 reps burns less calories but keeps ur metabolism raised throughout the day.
    but 8-10 reps burns more calories and builds muscle though metabolism will not be elevated as much as strength training.
    I would suggest to mix up ur routine do a strength and muscle hybrid program.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't recommend the 5x5 programme for you for the following reasons;

1.As an beginning lifter, I doubt your joints and other connective tissues are properly adjusted to the stresses and strains of a heavy weight low rep programme, i would give it six months of lifting before going 5x5 to reduce the risk of injury.

2. A 5x5 programme requires rest periods of up to 3minutes between sets, a very poor way of calorie burning if thats your goal. If you achieved 5 sets in fifteen minutes, (12 of them sat waiting around) would you be happy?

If you want to strength train for calorie burn and weight loss, circuit training and minimal rest between sets is the way to go.

Barry-Yes.gif
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm not too concerned about training for strength but more on reducing body fat. Is one rep range more ideal for this over the other?

Strength training doesn't burn many calories. Best case is that you continue strength training to retain LBM, and add some cardio to burn a few calories. You don't strictly need to add cardio, though.

It comes down to a net calorie deficit. Don't eat an entire pizza after a 2 mile run. LOL
  • Kennesaw24
    Kennesaw24 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm so glad all the answers didn't just confuse you more and that DavPul's answer got it for you.

If you're lifting weights, and have a calorie deficit, you are going to lose weight.

If you are lifting weights, you are going to feel great mentally (great confidence booster for women, I think), and pretty soon, your clothes will fit differently whether you lose much weight or not: Win/Win!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Rep ranges don't matter for body fat loss. That has more to do with your diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Rep ranges don't matter for fat loss BUT..

If I had it over, I would go back and focus on strength for my weight loss. Since you aren't going to build much muscle anyway, you might as well get stronger, which will happen even on a calorie deficit.

So... 5x5