Sugar and protein always higher than target.

Options
Hi all.
My sugar and protein is always too high compared to the target MFP has set me. The sugars tend to mainly come from veg and my protein tends to come from lean protein and 1/2 skimmed milk so I don't think of them as 'bad' but clearly MFP thinks I shhould do better!
I love veg and I like to have my hot milk as a night time drink plus in tea.
Does anyone else have the same problem please?
Thanks.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Going over on protein is not a problem!

The suagr level set by MFP is pretty low - if you eat one piece of fruit you're likely to blow it. Unless you have a real need to limit your sugars, dont worry too much about being in the red, but it's educational to see where all the hidden sugars are.
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Customise it? I changed mine to the CLEARLY bad things like saturated fats and things I know I lack in my diet like iron. So unless you're worried about your protein intake I'd change it to something else. :)
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    Ah, thats brilliant, thanks so much for the replies. I was a wee bit shocked and slightly concerned that the food my little boy eats was suddenly unhealthy too! :)
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The protein level that is set for MFP is very low. It is not a bad thing at all to go over it. I try to eat 80-100 grams a day (though not always successful) to rebuild muscle. The sugar amount is what is recommended, but like others have said, it is easy to go over. I wouldn't worry too much, but try to stay as close to that range as you can.
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    Thanks. I'm not too bad on sugar, although one of my beloved Nakd bars can add on a bit but my protein levels were way over and that was worrying me alot as I try to eat plenty of lean protein instead of lots of carbs. Hopefully this time I shall crack it and lose the weight for good!
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    The minimum amount of protein you eat should be 0.37 grams of protein per pound of weight. That is the recommended daily allowance as designated by the Institute of Medicine. You can go over. If you are trying to build muscle that number can be higher, much higher. Some body builders recommend 1.0 to 1.5 grams per pound if you are trying to bulk up. Don't worry about going over on protein.

As for sugar, I have Type II Diabetes and it is the carbs number that I try to minimize, not necessarily the sugar by itself. Keep eating the healthy fruit (not fruit juice but the fruit itself) and you should be fine.