Shin splints

Options
In my mid 40s now and I am back at trying to get fit. One goal is to try running once I am ready for it. My concern is that in the past when I have tried this I get very sharp pains in both of my shins. I have looked this up online and I believe they call them shin splints. Besides good running shoes are there any stretches or build up exercises that I can do to avoid this. I also have flat feet but that never bothered me in my youth. I used to play a lot of soccer.

Replies

• Pinkee33
    Pinkee33 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the response you will get on this too... the same thing happens to me but what's really weird is I can do indoor walks and treadmill and it doesn't bother me... I was wondering if it had anything to do with form???:huh:
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Try to google stretches for shin splints. I get them too but if I stretch before hand I have no pain.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    This is what eradicated mine. Before & after your run, while standing, tennis ball on floor, roll each foot (specifically the arch) over the ball. It. Will, Hurt. Then take the ball and rub it up and down your shins (especially where it hurts). You will want to cry. For me, it got rid of them in less than 2 days.

Please let us know if something suggested here works for you so we can help the next person. Good luck!!
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Shoes!!!
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    When I started walking again, I had the same issue, particularly if I was doing my walking in an area where there were hills. I found that stretching helps, but I also found some exercises to do while I'm at work (or at home sitting). You can try walking on your heels to strengthen the muscles in your shin area. You can also do toe raises while you're sitting pretty much anywhere. To do them, lift your toes and the front part of your foot up and towards your shin as high as you can, hold for a few seconds and repeat. I do them often during the day, usually alternating feet. I have also heard that walking on the balls of your feet can help but I don't have the strongest ankles in the world (yet) so I don't do that one as much. The shin pain is much better now and I only have mild pain when I'm doing steeper hills and walking faster than my usual 3 mph. Good luck!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Shin splits often occur because the muscle of the shin is having to work too hard to stabilize the lower leg during running. That can be the result of several things.

First make sure you have good shoes properly fitted to you at a specialty running store. Not a big box sporting goods store, but a place that can do a gait analysis.

Don't do too much too soon.

When you run, you should land with your foot nearly under your center of gravity. You should hear a swoosh type of sound as opposed to a slap or thud. It's OK if you land softly on the heel as long as you are not driving it into the ground out in front of you.

Strengthen calves so they can take more of the stabilization load.

Soccer running and road running are different animals.
  • mamarupp
    mamarupp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I suffered from shin splints for a long time and decided to try shin compression sleeves per an athlete friend's advice. I wear Zensah compression sleeves and keep them on for about an hour after running while my muscles recover, and I have not had pain since.
  • phil_p221
    phil_p221 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Sorry for the ignorance but I have never heard of a running store. I have always just bought my shoes for exercising at a sporting goods store (Maybe that's the problem). I checked my area and I can't believe it but there is a running store downtown. Sounds great to have someone fit your feet perfectly to find the correct shoes, but this is making me think I am gonna have to spend a small fortune. Guess I will call them on Monday and see what that's gonna look like.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you google tibial stress you will get better quality hits than if you use shin splints.

Good luck.
  • jessicadawn1978
    jessicadawn1978 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    most people who get injuries like this are doing too much too soon. We all believe running is natural and something we can almost just do, especially when our cardiovascular system is 'fit enough' that an increased heart rate is manageable on runs. However, running uses many muscle groups, all of which need to be build up and developed to ensure they are ready for the load you are putting on them, shin splints (a term which covers a multitude of lower leg injuries), are most commonly a result of too much too soon, particularly running too frequently and too far before the muscles are ready for it.

So a couple of suggestions to help with you overcome current pain:
    - stop running for a couple of weeks, apply ice to the site of pain for a few minutes a few times per day, if the area is swollen elevate it whilst icing and maybe take some antiinflammatories
    - Use a foam roller on your feet, calves, hamstrings, quads, it band, glutes and lower back to ease out any muscles soreness maybe once a day for a week or so, rolling for around 15mins or more if you can
    If you feel any pain whilst running stop and don't return until its pain free or you will exacerbate the problem
    The tennis ball under the foot from another respondent is also a great suggestion

Suggestions to help you return to running and future injury prevention
    - only stretch when your muscles are already warm, (so maybe after a short 5-10 min walk to warm yourselve up) never from cold, stretch your hamstrings, glutes, calves and front shins
    - do get your gait analysed to ensure you have the right footwear for your running style as others have suggested
    - incorporate some form of strength training into your weekly training, focus on things like squats, glute bridges, hamstring curls, lunges, calve raises,and single leg squats - try to do this 2/3 times per week along with running, if you don't use weights currently then bodyweight will still be beneficial

- when you return to running, build up your distance slowly over time And as you build up don't be tempted to run every day, allow yourself time to build up to it and maybe cross train on your non running days with a cycle ride or swim. Start with a walk/run programme, even if you're feeling capable of more, this will help your muscles build. Runners World website has some great beginner, intermediate and advanced programmes, and there are loads elsewhere on the web. Allow your strength to progress and muscles build gradually and you'll stay injury free

- a swim right after a run is also a great way of recovering from the hard effort and impact of running to flush the lactic from your legs and speed up recovery

I hope this helps, and I feel your pain. I have been out of action for around 2 months now for the same reason, I'm a regular runner having done numerous races up to marathons and triathlons over the 25years I've been running. I had a long break and started up again, have done too much too soon and now need to follow my own advice above to recover, its very frustrating.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon and enjoy a lots of running ahead of you
  • rhia575
    rhia575 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Having flat feet can increase your risk, so try get special shoes that will help (i'm not exactly sure on the type, a quick google search would suffice, or speak to an ortho)
    To help avoid:

1) Try running on softer surfaces ie grass, track etc

2) Throughout the day at home spend some time walking on your heels, then switch and walk on your tip toes

3) Walking backwards can help (it's the reverse movement so strengthens it)

4) Make sure you stretch plenty and warm up well before runs

I got shin splints when i was running in winter on the road and through iced mud, once it healed i did some of these things and haven't had any problems since and its been almost a year. If you do get them, taking a golf and placing it under your foot and rolling your foot in circular motions definitely helps.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    bad form
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Sorry for the ignorance but I have never heard of a running store. I have always just bought my shoes for exercising at a sporting goods store (Maybe that's the problem). I checked my area and I can't believe it but there is a running store downtown. Sounds great to have someone fit your feet perfectly to find the correct shoes, but this is making me think I am gonna have to spend a small fortune. Guess I will call them on Monday and see what that's gonna look like.

You'll find many of the same shoes at the running store that you do at the big box. List prices are the same - at least in my area. Good running stores will help you find the right shoe as part of their service - it doesn't cost extra. They will ask you questions, look at how your feet lie, watch you run in some shoes, and help you figure out if you need pronation control and if so how much. Good running shoes are not inexpensive, but the value is good when you are able to run.
  • silianne
    Options
    I had shin splints too and stopped running and biking. While I was resting (not my choice) I was researching and came across this website with a vast array of articles on the topic of Shin Splints and so much more. One of the articles that was very helpful to me was http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/12/shint-splints-self-help-tips-treatment-and-prevention-from-team-doctors/. You will be inspired to know that the author of that article is Dr James Stoxen DC and he is a barefoot runner! I was converted to barefoot running after reading that article. You mentioned that you used to play soccer and you didn’t have that pain you are having now when you were younger. Maybe this is true because in your youth your body acts like a spring. Over the years the body breaks down and is weakened and locks into a lever mechanism resulting in injury, pain and improper running mechanics that can result in shin splints. You might also want to try the deep tissue treatment that is demonstrated by Dr. James Stoxen himself in the article to help with relief.
  • Tophermak
    Tophermak Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Look into some Vibram Five Fingers shoes, had bad shin splints when I ran in traditional shoes and once I started barefoot and took my time to get acclimated to the different running style I haven't had any pain. . . EVER!! Look em up online and give them a try, just follow the advice that comes with the shoes, take it slow until your muscles and tendons have adjusted to running with no support and you may be surprised at how much easier running is now!!
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You most likely need to see a Podiatrist or Orthopedic Doc for possible orthotics. I too have flat feet - have all my life and have had multiple problems from them. Orthotics can help with most of the problems i have had. Just a few days ago i was gardening for a couple of hours and not wearing the orthotics. I felt like i had shin splints on both legs. I then realized that i hadn't worn the orthotics while gardening. I mean - i am hardly moving while clipping, weeding, etc!! Well the next two days i wore them and shin splints disappeared! Thats the only thing i did differently. Also several years ago i developed a groin strain on both legs while playing tennis a lot. Again - i wasn't wearing the orthotics. Started wearing them - and eventually it went away. That was not a quick fix though and took months. I have had other injuries also while not wearing them, but won't go into them. But - through tough experience, i have found - Wear my orthotics!
  • VetGirl13
    Options
    Hi,

I've been plaqued by shin splints my whole life. Three months ago I decided to start running again but decided that the only way to avoid them would be to take it slow. I started doing plenty research on the topic and found a youtube channel - I think it was called the science of running - where they broke down the exact reasons why both types of shin splints happen, how to treat and how to avoid them. Best points I learnt from them:

1. Shin splints (both types - lateral/medial pain) arise from overuse and more specifically overstretching of muscles that are not used to it, i.e. there is no true stretch you can do to avoid them - if anything specific stretches for the front of your shins will just make the matter worse. (NOTE: I'm not saying don't stretch at all, just that stretching out splints isn't going to help)

2. Always wear shoes with adequate cushioning - this generally means buying a new pair.

3. Try to run on soft surfaces and don't shock your legs with a sudden change onto tarmac.

4. If you do get splints, don't sweat it. The advice above has been great re: foam rolling (or the tennis ball technique) - its a method of massage called fascial release and can be very helpful, Ice your legs after runs for 20min (but no longer) 2 to 3 times, also anti-inflammatories are your friend with these - its not just pain relief they actively help with the ongoing inflammation.

I got splints just over a week ago, the other best treatment is to rest - do not run through the pain. Take a week off and try again. You don't loose condition in a week so don't stress over it.

Hope all this helps

Edit - forgot the exercises.
    1. you can do heel walks - walk 30 paces using only your heels and actively attempting to not drop the rest of your foot onto the ground
    2. Toe raises - stand with your back against a wall with your legs straight. Alternate lifting the tops of your feet whilst keeping your heels on the ground
    3. find a step that had a place you can hold onto for balance. Stand with your feet just over the edge (so your heels are holdng your weight) and paddle your feet like a duck

They sound crazy but the really work at strengthening those muscles
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Shorten your stride and work on strengthening/stretching your calves. Your shins and calves work in a push-pull relationship and must be balanced. When one is weak the other goes into spasm because it's getting overworked. A shorter stride will take some of the load off the shins.